PDA

View Full Version : TST 507RV - Anti-Theft Housing

slow
07-13-2015, 03:15 AM
I am a soon to be user of the TST 507RV TPMS system on out TT because of the encouragement form members on this forum. (tx)

For those running the 507 caps, are you running the caps with or without the anti-theft housings on the caps?

Besides the anti-theft benefit, are there any other benefits to using the anti-theft housing? It appears that without the housing, the package size of the cap would be reduced by a fair amount.

bsmith0404
07-13-2015, 04:38 AM
Not sure what you are referring to. The sensors have an antitheft design where a tool is required to install and remove them. They can be installed partially by hand, but once they get so tight the cap just spins and the tool is needed to go the rest of the way. I was not aware that they were available without this. My opinion at this point is that they are becoming so common and the tools aren't really anything special, nothing more than keeping honest people honest.

slow
07-13-2015, 04:59 AM
To clarify: Per the instructions in the TST manual, it states that if the anti-theft feature is NOT desired, the outer housing that spins to create the anti-theft feature can be removed from the sensor by removing the three mounting screws on the underside. It appears the tool would still need to be used to remove the sensor, but without the outside housing, the size of the sensor would be smaller/lighter.

As you pointed out that since the tool is becoming more common, I am considering not using the anti-theft feature if it makes removing and re-installing the sensor caps easier.

bsmith0404
07-13-2015, 05:05 AM
Guess I never looked at that portion that close. I can't imagine why the tool would still be required without the spinning cap. The tool only grips onto a flat portion of the body under the cap. Maybe I'll pull one apart just to check it out.

slow
07-13-2015, 06:49 AM
I was thinking that without the tool (and outer anti-theft housing), the sensor cover may unscrew (as you would to access the battery) before it unscrews from the valve stem.

chris199
07-14-2015, 12:19 AM
I just use the sendors with the housing. I don't care if the housing is a little bigger and marginally heavier.

Nvr really considered removing them. I like the idea of having the anti theft feature. When I store my 5er I use a pin lock. May be useless but it gives me peace of mind to know someone cant pull up and drive away with the 5er without some impediment. Same goes for the TPMS sensors.