PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Monitor System

rbev2308
07-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Ok. I have spent the better part of two weeks reading over probably 40 different posts on here about various systems. I know what way I am leaning. I have towed various rental stuff for years but since I retired from the Navy, I took the plunge and bought my own 39 ft Alpine. I just watched my parents have two blowouts in a five hour period yesterday and it has accelerated my desire to go forward but looking for some advice from those who use. If you want to tell me what you use, that is fine but looking more for the following:

Note- I will be towing on Sendel T09's 110psi 3750 lb wheels with Goodyear G614's (Metal valve stems) inflated to max psi (110) since my weight is right around 14000-14500
TV is F-350 DRW

1) Did you include all your tires on your tow vehicle (Front-Steer) if a dually, your inner tires? For me that would be 10 total? $$$

2) What pressure max did you put for alerts above your max pressure. In my case the tire is 110psi cold and that is what I plan on using..thinking 120 psi or above not sure how much to expect in various temps.

3) What temp did you put on the sensor for alert of a blowout or just simply overheating. I do know these things have tolerances built in for rapid increase or decrease in pressure for alert notification

4) Did you have any issues with specific sensors due to clearance and metal valve stems. Obviously all sensors are mostly the same.

Like I said, I have seen some good advice on here. Many like one product over another just like I like Garmin over Magellan and no one will even change my mind. I am leaning towards Tireminder but looked at about 5 total ones based on people here and I believe all will do the job. I just know for peace of mind, I want something and I plan to order my Mon since I am headed out for 1000 mile trip in less than two weeks. Thanks in advance!

Ross

Larry1013
07-10-2015, 03:22 PM
1. You will need a transmitter with many of the TPMS systems to relay the trailer tire pressure to the truck receiver. I would consider purchasing the transmitter if not included with the kit. TireMinder and some others include the transmitter.

2. Personally, I run a sensor on every tire, including the spares. I have a 2015 Ford F350 DRW I have a total of 12 sensors.

3. On the TireMinder, I set the baseline tire pressure to the truck recommended TPS and the trailer to the Max TPS on the tire. Trailer tires should be run at max pressure even if radials.

4. The TireMinder will give a warning if a rapid air loss occurs. I test this when I add air to the tires by removing the senders.

5. The TireMinder gives two different beep warnings. A warning if any of them drop below a 15% threshold will give a beep and the tire position flashing on the receiver. A similar warning it with red light and a blinking tire icon on the receiver if you get a semi rapid air loss in a tire. 6 or more PSI loss in a 2 to 10 minute period.

6. The TireMinder has two different temperature thresholds. A high temp warning at 167*F (75*C) and if the tire exceeds 185*F (85*C). Display has the red light and show tire icon that is the problem. The lower threshold has an intermittent beep and if it exceeds the high limit a constant beep.

7. TireMinder also high and low pressure alerts. If pressure exceeds 20% of the baseline pressure it will beep and flash tire icon. The low pressure will have intermittent beeps and tire icon.

at bottom of the unit, it will have a pressure or temp icon to help id the problem.

Hope this helps.

GrumpyG
07-10-2015, 06:06 PM
I had a Truck Systems Technology (tsttruck.com) tpms on my class C. It was a great system. The thing I liked most about it was the Flo Thru sensors. You didn't have to remove the sensors to air up the tires.

Their tech support is also top notch.

I don't have any experience with any other tpms, but I can vouch for this one.

I will be equipping my new Keystone with this system, as well as installing sensors for all my truck's tires as well.

rbev2308
07-12-2015, 04:49 PM
1. You will need a transmitter with many of the TPMS systems to relay the trailer tire pressure to the truck receiver. I would consider purchasing the transmitter if not included with the kit. TireMinder and some others include the transmitter.

2. Personally, I run a sensor on every tire, including the spares. I have a 2015 Ford F350 DRW I have a total of 12 sensors.

3. On the TireMinder, I set the baseline tire pressure to the truck recommended TPS and the trailer to the Max TPS on the tire. Trailer tires should be run at max pressure even if radials.

4. The TireMinder will give a warning if a rapid air loss occurs. I test this when I add air to the tires by removing the senders.

5. The TireMinder gives two different beep warnings. A warning if any of them drop below a 15% threshold will give a beep and the tire position flashing on the receiver. A similar warning it with red light and a blinking tire icon on the receiver if you get a semi rapid air loss in a tire. 6 or more PSI loss in a 2 to 10 minute period.

6. The TireMinder has two different temperature thresholds. A high temp warning at 167*F (75*C) and if the tire exceeds 185*F (85*C). Display has the red light and show tire icon that is the problem. The lower threshold has an intermittent beep and if it exceeds the high limit a constant beep.

7. TireMinder also high and low pressure alerts. If pressure exceeds 20% of the baseline pressure it will beep and flash tire icon. The low pressure will have intermittent beeps and tire icon.

at bottom of the unit, it will have a pressure or temp icon to help id the problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Larry..appreciate the feedback. Only issue I have with the Tireminder is the one I want is the camping world exclusive and I live no where near one and I refuse to order from them again. I have placed 3 orders this year. First one took 11 days, 2nd took 15 days and my most recent took 26 days to get the first shipment and 33 to get one more item and still have one. All of them were labeled in stock. I called and they said they were going thru some sort of restructuring and changing the database which would have been helpful to know prior to ordering. Tireminder has a new model out not CW exclusive that I am looking at as well. The A1A. Thinking about that one with 6 sensors as they got on Amazon for pretty good deal. WOuld go back and by remaining sensors later. Would allow me to capture trailer and probably the outer tires on the DRW since they are usually more likely to blow than the inner.

rbev2308
07-12-2015, 04:51 PM
I had a Truck Systems Technology (tsttruck.com) tpms on my class C. It was a great system. The thing I liked most about it was the Flo Thru sensors. You didn't have to remove the sensors to air up the tires.

Their tech support is also top notch.

I don't have any experience with any other tpms, but I can vouch for this one.

I will be equipping my new Keystone with this system, as well as installing sensors for all my truck's tires as well.

Appreciate the feedback. This is one on my short list I am looking at. Not sure on the whole flow thru sensor just worried that thing will act up and lose air but I have read some great feedback and I believe their customer service is top notch in handling any issues. Also believe I would need a repeater since I have a Dually and 40 ft 5er. Especially if I added all the tires.

bsmith0404
07-12-2015, 06:12 PM
I have the TST 507 system. Right now I'm using 4 of the non-flow through type sensors and have run them on the rear wheels of the dually as well when I'm not towing my Alpine. I'm planning on getting at least 6 of the internal sensors for the dually when I put new tires on in a couple months and just use the regular sensors on the RV. Love the system, I do not run a relay transmitter and don't have a problem with the range.

The system comes with a default temp warning at 157. I have never seen my temps up over 110 and lit I have read about tire failures indicates that most failures due to temps are in the 180 range so I never changed the default.

I currently have tires with a 95 max PSI so I have my low alarm setting set for 80. TST recommends 15% below cold PSI.

The system alarm is designed to go off for a rapid leak of 6 psi loss over 12 seconds.

My high side alarm is set for 110. TST recommends 20% above cold setting which would be 114, but I've never seen them go over 102 so I figure if they ever hit 110 I probably have a temp issue I want to start looking at as well.

I've never had a failure with a tire so up to this point the system is just an insurance policy that hasn't paid off, but I've talked to others who have the same system that have been saved by it. I'm confident that when I have a need, the system will work.

jtyphoid
07-12-2015, 07:01 PM
I have the TST 507 flow thru on our triple axle Raptor and purchased the internal sensors for our F350 DRW and hope to get then installed this week. I've been happy with the system on the fiver so I'm staying with TST on the truck.

One issue is that TST didn't have full information on what was needed to install the internal sensors on a 2015 truck. They knew that some adapters were needed, but didn't realize that I needed different valve stems, too.

They put me in touch with the vendor who supplies the adapters and I hopefully have everything that I need now.

bsmith0404
07-13-2015, 04:44 AM
I have the TST 507 flow thru on our triple axle Raptor and purchased the internal sensors for our F350 DRW and hope to get then installed this week. I've been happy with the system on the fiver so I'm staying with TST on the truck.

One issue is that TST didn't have full information on what was needed to install the internal sensors on a 2015 truck. They knew that some adapters were needed, but didn't realize that I needed different valve stems, too.

They put me in touch with the vendor who supplies the adapters and I hopefully have everything that I need now.

Can you please elaborate more on what was needed? I don't know that I need them for my 2011, but it would be nice to have some understanding of what you needed.

jtyphoid
07-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Can you please elaborate more on what was needed? I don't know that I need them for my 2011, but it would be nice to have some understanding of what you needed.
The internal sensors come with valve stems, but the included stems are apparently not compatible with the rims on my 2015 F350 DRW.

TST had some adapters sent, that they thought would fit my factory valve stems. When the adapters arrived, I called the vendor that supplied them and he said that they will probably not work with the factory stems. I ended up having to purchase aftermarket valve stems, which I had been thinking about doing anyway.

The new stems are chrome plated brass and are position specific (front, outer dual, and inner dual). They will be much easier to reach for adding air.

I hope to get in to a tire shop this week to get everything installed.

jtyphoid
07-14-2015, 06:39 AM
Pictures sometimes say more than words, so hopefully Tapatalk will let me post some.

Here's one sensor and valve stem that I received directly from TST. They told me that I would just receive the sensors, but someone apparently forgot to pull the stems before shipping it to me.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/e952577b6c110a5359fed429060ae341.jpg

This is one of the adapters that TST had the vendor send directly to me:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/1583e22d54a5444345540445d44578c5.jpg

This is my best guess as to how the sensor attaches to the adapter:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/3f70e70483bd10dd13bd81c5b42764b5.jpg

After the vendor told me that he didn't think that the adapters would work with my factory valve stems, I purchased these "dually stems" from him directly:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/174f5f5b16b1983e0c366b980203b22c.jpg

Larry1013
07-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Pictures sometimes say more than words, so hopefully Tapatalk will let me post some.

Here's one sensor and valve stem that I received directly from TST. They told me that I would just receive the sensors, but someone apparently forgot to pull the stems before shipping it to me.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/e952577b6c110a5359fed429060ae341.jpg

After the vendor told me that he didn't think that the adapters would work with my factory valve stems, I purchased these "dually stems" from him directly:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/174f5f5b16b1983e0c366b980203b22c.jpg

I believe the TPMS in the first photo will work better than the adapter in the next two photos.

I know Ford has a unique valve stem for the aluminum wheels. I ended up buying 4" brass extensions and bending them slightly with a tubing bending i have to install the external TireMinder senders.

I believe if you go with the long stem in the last photo, you will have to put a bend it so that the overall angle is like 135* (a slight bend towards the wheel end). Very similar bend as the brass stem with the sender mounted

here is a photo of how I have the TireMinder sensors mounted on my 2015 F350 DRW

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_178944_2_531fe11135e24f1677968abdf88f94e4.jpg (http://s564.photobucket.com/user/larry1013/media/Junk/SAM_7471.jpg.html)

jtyphoid
07-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Well, partial success. The adapters and new valve stems worked on the front tires and outer duals, but, as Larry1013 suspected, the long valve stems for the inner duals did not have enough of a bend.

The tire shop and I cobbled together a solution for the inner duals using the valve stems that came with the TST 507 internal sensors plus the gaskets that came with the long valve stems.

I'll contact the valve stem vendor tomorrow to find out what they can do about it.

Here's an inner dual with the new long valve stem, adapter, and sensor ready for the tire to be mounted. Note that we had to pull the long stem off because it didn't have enough of a bend, but you can see how the adapters work.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/ef9ff7fd26bb03f4d455bd9b82229f79.jpg

Edited to add that we verified that the valve stems that came with the TST 507 kit did not fit any of the factory wheels on my truck (aluminum or the steel inner dual), so at least that information was correct.

audio1der
07-14-2015, 07:15 PM
We also use the TST507 with non flow-through sensors. I love the system and would buy it again, but with flow-through sensors.
Our TV has its own TPMS so we did not utilize it to monitor anything but the trailer. I did have to add the TST repeater to the a-frame of the trailer as the readout panel had trouble grabbing the rear passenger sensor (that's at least 40' away). Fair enough. It's very easy to setup and change settings, and their customer service is amongst the BEST I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

rbev2308
07-15-2015, 02:09 AM
Just curious if anyone had any issues with either flow thru sensors from TST or the reg sensors from Tireminder on the inner wheels of their dually's...I love the idea of the internal sensors especially on the truck since no TPMS was installed and not having to worry about security aspect...I am not at that point yet to pay and remove all four tires in the rear and install internal sensors. Fortunately all my valve stems on everything is metal but always worried about any centrifugal force on that inner dually wheel. It seems like the flow thru ones would be more problematic since they are longer. I am thinking the normal ones would not be an issue

TomHaycraft
07-15-2015, 03:04 AM
Interesting timing for this discussion. Having run the TST 507 with flow-thru sensors on the trailer for a couple years, I'm now in the process of adding the the internals to my new (to me) 2013 Silverado 3500HD, just SRW so am not in the same boat with the dual rear wheels. It has been a challenge though.

To get right valve stems ordered, I talked to TST, sent pictures (stock OEM wheels). When everything arrived, as requested, I called TST back, they walked me through building up the plate and attaching the valve stem. A simple diagram would go a long way. I lost track of the number of times the shop mounted and dis-mounted tires on Saturday, had a heck of a time getting the valve stems to seal. Got home, had 1 wheel lose 30 psi within 3 hours. Topped it off with air, back to the shop. Never could get it to seal, I had them place a high-pressure stem and went home, to call TST on Monday morning.

Using photos to confirm the correct orientation of the grommets, I'm heading back after work today. Confidence is not high in TST's choice of valve stems / vendor for these parts. Wish me luck!

TomHaycraft
07-15-2015, 03:18 AM
Oh, one other thing. TST wasn't confident in the signal I would receive from the internals, strongly encouraged me to also purchase a repeater (or install, check it, order one later if needed). I was surprised, considering the proximity of the receiver in the truck, to the truck's wheels.

Standing outside the shop on Saturday, well over a truck's length away, I had the receiver in hand and saw the numbers every time they inflated and deflated the tires. No need for the repeater. Cheap enough, I may still hang it in the propane/battery compartment of the trailer just for insurance.

Larry1013
07-15-2015, 05:12 AM
I have not had any problems with the TireMinder sensors on the inner tires/wheels on my 2015 Ford DRW. The only real problem is adding air. You pretty much had to remove the outer wheel to get your hand in there to remove the sensor to add air. That is why I went to the metal extension on the inner stems.

jtyphoid
07-15-2015, 05:19 AM
Interesting timing for this discussion. Having run the TST 507 with flow-thru sensors on the trailer for a couple years, I'm now in the process of adding the the internals to my new (to me) 2013 Silverado 3500HD, just SRW so am not in the same boat with the dual rear wheels. It has been a challenge though.

To get right valve stems ordered, I talked to TST, sent pictures (stock OEM wheels). When everything arrived, as requested, I called TST back, they walked me through building up the plate and attaching the valve stem. A simple diagram would go a long way. I lost track of the number of times the shop mounted and dis-mounted tires on Saturday, had a heck of a time getting the valve stems to seal. Got home, had 1 wheel lose 30 psi within 3 hours. Topped it off with air, back to the shop. Never could get it to seal, I had them place a high-pressure stem and went home, to call TST on Monday morning.

Using photos to confirm the correct orientation of the grommets, I'm heading back after work today. Confidence is not high in TST's choice of valve stems / vendor for these parts. Wish me luck!
Did you get two nuts for each valve stem with your kit? I only got one for each valve stem so I put the metal adapter bracket between the curved washer and the single nut.

I think that having one nut to tighten down the seal and a separate nut to attach the adapter bracket is better.

However, I don't appear to be having any issues with leaking, so maybe the single nut is better...

bsmith0404
07-15-2015, 05:32 AM
I have run the standard TST sensors on my dually without any issues, but the sensors are difficult to get off with the antitheft device, the rim interferes with the tool. Now that I know that is removable, I may pull that off

TomHaycraft
07-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Did you get two nuts for each valve stem with your kit? I only got one for each valve stem so I put the metal adapter bracket between the curved washer and the single nut.

I think that having one nut to tighten down the seal and a separate nut to attach the adapter bracket is better.

However, I don't appear to be having any issues with leaking, so maybe the single nut is better...

Two nuts on each valve stem. (avoiding use of silly smiley face) TST recommended the first securing the valve stem to the rim to be tightened to 45 inch/pounds to not over-tighten grommets but still assuring a good seal. The 2nd securing the plate holding the sensor ... good and tight. Got the last valve stem/sensor installed this afternoon, so far so good. 500 mile round trip / 3-day weekend coming up, that will give them a chance to build my confidence, before setting off for Colorado the first weekend in August.

jtyphoid
07-15-2015, 07:10 PM
Two nuts on each valve stem. (avoiding use of silly smiley face) TST recommended the first securing the valve stem to the rim to be tightened to 45 inch/pounds to not over-tighten grommets but still assuring a good seal. The 2nd securing the plate holding the sensor ... good and tight. Got the last valve stem/sensor installed this afternoon, so far so good. 500 mile round trip / 3-day weekend coming up, that will give them a chance to build my confidence, before setting off for Colorado the first weekend in August.
Interesting. I left a message with the outfit that supplied the valve stems and adapters to try to resolve the inner dual valve stem issue, but haven't heard back yet. I'll have to also ask the "one or two nuts" question (also avoiding smiley face) when they call back.