PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on exterior finish

PT RV`er
07-06-2015, 06:51 AM
This past weekend my knucklehead brother-n-law decided to beat the sand out of the door mat. Guess where he beat it on? THE SIDE OF MY RIG. :banghead: I was upset to say the least. Now I`m looking at these scratches and wondering if I need to be worried about damage to the underlayment as the paint is scratched off it. There are no gouges, just scratches down to what I think is the primer coat. Do I need to try and find some touch up paint or can I just wax over it to protect it. If I find paint, I`m sure it`s going to look pretty bad trying to touch it up.
Here are a few pics of the scratches
Any input would be great. TY

one more picture

JRTJH
07-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Most of the damage looks to be surface scratches, but the center, largest may be a gouge completely through the fiberglass layer.

FILON is a thin sheet of fiberglass that is glued to a backing material and then usually bonded to a thin (1/8") panel of luan plywood. If the thin layer of fiberglass is cracked or gouged completely through, then the panel is no longer waterproof. If it's cracked, the crack can "run" along the weakest direction and increase in size.

If, however, all the damage is to the surface and there is no penetration through the fiberglass, then all you'd need to do is fill in the scratches and polish the area.

Look closely to be sure there's no damage "through" the fiberglass layer.

Here's a picture of the typical FILON panel

PT RV`er
07-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Great news, it didn`t get deep enough to expose any wood. I guess the dealer should have the necessary filler to cover the scratches and small gouges.

Steve S
07-06-2015, 10:20 AM
There's plenty of tinted fillers out there, just apply in very thin coats, wet sand it and buff it out. It'll look like new :)
BTW I can think of a few better words then knuckhead :banghead: Did he have an answer why he did this :rolleyes:

PT RV`er
07-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Did he have an answer why he did this :rolleyes:

Not at all. Just looked at me with that deer in the headlights look. I told him I ought to beat this mat on the side of your car.

PARAPTOR
07-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Not at all. Just looked at me with that deer in the headlights look. I told him I ought to beat this mat on the side of your car.

X2, pictures please :cool:

Barbell
07-06-2015, 05:28 PM
I would have used him to beat the mat on; while wife not looking, of course.

Steve S
07-06-2015, 10:24 PM

You should have! Lol My brother in law wants to borrow my trailer when I leave to go to my cabin next week. .....guess what my answer was :p:D

{tpc}
07-07-2015, 12:59 PM
If he was any kind of...well lets just say if I screwed up in a major way like this, I would have told you I'd pay for the fix..mistake or not, it is the right way to do it in my opinion.