PDA

View Full Version : This one? Or that one?

tgpilot
07-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Okay, I have an older Honda 3000C with inverter, I've had it since about 2006 and I bought it used then. Except for firing it up now and then to make sure it would still run, I've never used it.

Now that I have another RV, I dug it out to use on my 5th Wheel. It run's the A/C, except today when we really needed it here in MT in the Glacier NP, it acted up some. It would run fine a few minutes, then cut back and drop off, then pick up again. Before I had to shut it down for the night it acted better but not happy.

The other day at Camping World they had the NEW Honda 3000 with inverter on sale for $2,200. I was tempted then, but since then I was wondering if the new one would work better being at least 15 years newer? I know a lot of guys are buying two 2K's and putting them together. I really don't want to go to that much trouble. I've looked at the Yamaha also, and even considered the Champion 3500/4000.

Yes, I know the Honda and the Yamaha are two of the quietest out there. How does the Champion stack up against them?

If I did replace the old Honda, what would you guys recommend. If the Honda or the Yamaha, which of them and should I stay with a 3000?

Thanks for your input.

Tom

gearhead
07-03-2015, 09:36 PM
I've got a Generac 5000, a b&s 3000, and a Champion 3500. The Generac is too heavy and loud, the b&s hasn't run in years. The champion does the job. I had some trouble with it at first though. It is too heavy for me to lift in and out of the truck. I'm thinking about the Honda 2000 paired together. Each weighs about 50 pounds, so they're portable. Mayberrys in New Jersey has the best price I have found, and free shipping. Home Depot sells the Ryobi 2000 for about half the price of Honda. Mixed reviews on them. Yamaha is the same price as Honda and not the same quality, I heard. Champion will be louder.

Festus2
07-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Both the Honda and Yamaha are excellent generators - quiet and dependable - but they don't come cheap. The Champion is also an excellent generator - dependable and a bit noisier than the previous two.

At the 2000W level, there isn't much difference at all in the dB ratings for all three with a range of 52 dB for the Yamaha and 54 for the Champion. There is a big difference in price however.

Moving up to the larger 3000W models, the Champion's 3100W does come out noisier at 58 dB (at 1/4 load) compared to 53 for the 3000W Yamaha and 49 dB for the Honda.

Again, there is quite a jump in price comparing the Champion with the Honda and Yamaha.

If cost isn't an issue and you don't mind paying out more $$$ for a Honda or Yamaha, they will provide you with a reliable, quiet-running generator. If you want to save yourself a few $$$, a Champion will give you many years of good service with only a small increase in noise level.

Best value for the $$$$ is the Champion IMO.

WaltBennett
07-04-2015, 04:14 AM
Had two 2400is Yamaha's that I could gang together for about five years. I could run our old TT's 13.5k btu AC without any problems on one of them, but nothing else without the second. Had to have both to run the Montana's 15k btu AC though. Since we don't do much boondocking in hot weather, and I installed a solar system for when we do, I sold the Yamaha's and picked up a $300 Harbor Freight 3200 watt one for home backup and the occasional overnight while on the road in heat. It is surprisingly quiet - louder than the Yamaha, but nothing like a contractor generator. If I hadn't gotten it, I'd probably have gone with a Champion, but I'm very pleased thus far.

PerryB
07-04-2015, 05:13 AM
Its most likely got some fuel lacquer in the carburetor restricting the main jet, or just simply old gas. I maintain a FLEET of small equipment powered by Honda engines including several inverter generators. Almost without exception, any problem has been deposits/lacquer/water (from condensation) in the carburetor due to sitting without use. Its very easy to remove and clean if you have experience in that field. If not, take it to a Honda power equip. shop and have it done. Have them throw a new spark plug in it at the same time. You'll be out the door for around $100 or so and have a unit that runs like new.
That having been said, if you are decided upon something new I would go with a pair of 2000's. They are light enough to be carried by hand and most of the time you'll only need one. If you need both for A/C its easy to hook up the second unit, and lastly you have redundancy. If one goes down you have a back-up. I like Honda, but that's personal opinion.
P.S. -- I do have one gripe about the Honda 2000's. The starter rope is a significant PITA to replace, and they are prone to chafing where they emerge from the engine.. Honda needs to relocate the rope exit slightly to alleviate this issue.

tgpilot
07-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys, I may well stay with the Honda 3000, hopefully the new ones are about fifteen years newer than my old one, should have a lot more power too. I always kept stable and sea foam in it, so that has helped.

Just before the trip I also ran it about two hours or more with a lot of sea foam in it. It may still need to be cleaned out, so will take it in when I get home.

I am also leaning towards that Champion 3500/4000 if I can lift it and it's not much louder. Thanks again for chiming in and happy 4th to all as I sit here in Glacier NP.

tank45
07-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Agree with Perry B on maintenance. Also, your are in Glacier but are from Oregon, have you looked at rejetting the carb for altitude difference? Another consideration for generators is what I got: Smarter Tools 2000 watt IQ inverter generator. I bought a pair from Costco.com for $599 apiece... the parallel kit was another 60 bucks. They have the Yamaha MZ80 motor (quiet) and have fuel petcocks so you can run them dry. One other nice thing (correct me if I'm wrong folks) is that unlike the Honda parallel setup, both of these are stand alone generators - I think the honda has a main and a slave generator and the slave cannot stand alone and run. Anyway. I'm happy with the performance and was very happy with the price. I ordered 2k meter and 3k meter carburetor jets from smarter tools (not expensive at all) and change them out (easy to do) for wherever we go... we camp from 3k feet to 10k feet in this state.

Cheers

Festus2
07-04-2015, 12:21 PM
One other nice thing (correct me if I'm wrong folks) is that unlike the Honda parallel setup, both of these are stand alone generators - I think the honda has a main and a slave generator and the slave cannot stand alone and run. .

Cheers

tank45 -
According to Honda's website, you can parallel two identical EU2000i's and run them together or separately. Both are stand alone generators.

PerryB
07-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Either Honda can run independently of the other. The difference is the standard unit has (2) 15a outlets and 12v charging. The Companion has a single 15a plus a 30a twist-lock and no 12v.

tank45
07-05-2015, 05:24 AM
Very well... I stand corrected.

tgpilot
07-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Okay guys, today I bit the bullet and drove the three hours to Great Falls, MT and went to the North Forty store ( That is some candy store, stuff for everyone). There I bought the Honda 3000IS and had the wheel kit put on it and bought a cover for it. Hopefully, it will fit in the back of my truck with a large tool box and the fifth wheel. Will be trying it out in about a week when I go onto Yellowstone and the Teton's. Will let you know what I think then. Thanks for all your help guys. (tx)

tgpilot
07-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Well, got to Bakers Hole in W. Yellowstone first part of the week and a week after I bought the 3000IS. So, after having it a week I got to try it out. It started out okay, but after a few minutes it went into overload. I shut her off, reduced the load and tried again. After several tries, and going into overload I had it down to just the converter and a couple of fans. Still overload.

Called Honda, they told me nearest dealer was in Idaho Falls, ID a hundred miles away. Going there next week and they thought it could be the voltage regulator not working properly. We will find out.

The camp host was good enough to find me an open spot with elect. that afternoon, so we are in great shape with 50 amps. Thank God for small favors.

On another note, the Direct TV Kings quest travel dish that I bought in Kalispell has been working great, though here in the tall trees, I had to put her on the roof. No big deal. Will keep an update going.......:banghead:

Been seeing a lot of wildlife in Tetons and Yellowstone. Four grizzly bears, numerous elk, buffalo and other wildlife. Great campground Bakers Hole.

notanlines
07-17-2015, 02:52 AM
Tom, none of us on this site are going to reprimand you for not trying it out in your driveway at home......I promise.

tgpilot
07-17-2015, 04:29 PM
We did start it up at the store before I bought it and she ran fine, of course no load. had to wait until I got back to where I was camped with my RV about 150 miles from the store.

Since she ran fine at the store, never thought it wouldn't with a load. Hopefully next Monday I will know what is going on. (tx)

hankaye
07-17-2015, 05:02 PM
tgpilot, Howdy;

Well, got to Bakers Hole in W. Yellowstone first part of the week and a week after I bought the 3000IS. So, after having it a week I got to try it out. It started out okay, but after a few minutes it went into overload. I shut her off, reduced the load and tried again. After several tries, and going into overload I had it down to just the converter and a couple of fans. Still overload.

Called Honda, they told me nearest dealer was in Idaho Falls, ID a hundred miles away. Going there next week and they thought it could be the voltage regulator not working properly. We will find out.

The camp host was good enough to find me an open spot with elect. that afternoon, so we are in great shape with 50 amps. Thank God for small favors.

On another note, the Direct TV Kings quest travel dish that I bought in Kalispell has been working great, though here in the tall trees, I had to put her on the roof. No big deal. Will keep an update going.......:banghead:

Been seeing a lot of wildlife in Tetons and Yellowstone. Four grizzly bears, numerous elk, buffalo and other wildlife. Great campground Bakers Hole.

I had one of your statements kinda jump out at me, so I painted it RED
in the quote. You've never mentioned what model your RV and what
flavor electricity it normally takes, 50 amp service or 30 amp. If your RV
is used to a diet of 50 amp. then that in and of itself may be part of your
problem. As I'm not electrically inclined I'll stop there and allow those that
are more familiar with it lend more expert opinions...

hankaye

tgpilot
07-18-2015, 06:19 AM
The rig is a 2007 Keystone Copper Canyon. It is set up to use 50 amps, but I have the adapters and shut things off so that only two elect. fans were running and still had the overload.

tgpilot
07-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Okay, left W. Yellowstone this morning and drove to Idaho Falls, ID and traded the new 3000IS in for a five thousand IS> This should take care of my problems as the dealer said that the 3000IS was barely putting out enough amps to run my rig.

Haven't had a chance to try it out, should have to night in a Wally World PL here in Springville, UT. Will probably get to tomorrow in Moab. Let you all know how the new big red box works. :D

jtyphoid
07-21-2015, 04:04 AM
This should take care of my problems as the dealer said that the 3000IS was barely putting out enough amps to run my rig.

Do you mean that the dealer found that it was not working correctly or were they instead telling you that the 3000is wasn't "big enough" for your RV?

A 3000is should be able to run more than the converter and two fans. If the dealer said that yours was working the way it should, then it sounds like there were some other loads still active in your RV, like maybe the electric element in your water heater, fridge running on AC, etc.

That said, the 5000is will certainly give you more flexibility to run multiple things simultaneously.

tgpilot
07-21-2015, 06:56 AM
He said the 3000IS was working properly, that they only put out about 25 amps. I HAD put the fridge and the water heater on gas, shut off the a/c and several other breakers but that did not help.

had I thought to bring my old 30 amp cord, I could have used it for an extension cord from my truck to the rear of my rig to hook up with my 50 amp cord.

Tonight, I may get a chance to try the new 5000IS out, it's suppose to put out about 40 amps I think.

Tom N OH
07-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Watts/volts =amps. 5000/120=41.666. That's is PEAK, not constant. As a general rule, you should try to stay 10% below peak so you have some reserve for starting motors such as your A/C compressor & don't overheat the generator. 41.666x10%=4.166. 41.666-4.166=37.5amps.

Festus2
07-21-2015, 10:19 AM
He said the 3000IS was working properly, that they only put out about 25 amps. I HAD put the fridge and the water heater on gas, shut off the a/c and several other breakers but that did not help.

had I thought to bring my old 30 amp cord, I could have used it for an extension cord from my truck to the rear of my rig to hook up with my 50 amp cord.

Tonight, I may get a chance to try the new 5000IS out, it's suppose to put out about 40 amps I think.

The Honda3000i will put out about 24A which should be sufficient to operate many of the items in your RV. You won't be able to use them "all at once" but with discriminate use, you should be able to have them working for you. If you were to leave your HW tank on gas, that frees up a lot of watts/amps for use elsewhere.

I have a 3500W and I am able to run the A/C on its own if necessary. If I shut down the A/C, I can use the microwave and some other appliance such as a toaster or heater. It's just a matter of juggling the items around so that you can utilize them.

I'm not sure why you had to turn off so many items and after doing so "that did not help" - especially with the A/C off , the HW heater and fridge on gas, that it "didn't help".

Since you have now upgraded to a 5000W, it really doesn't matter now about what you could or could not do with the 3000W.

tgpilot
07-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I don't know why the 3000IS would not work. I am in a real nice RV park here in Moab for a few days, so still won't get to try the new 5000IS out, but it should handle it all now.

kimbashaw
07-27-2015, 12:47 AM
I own two of the Yamaha 2000 is generators that I gang together. I haven't owned them very long but I know it will operate at least one of my 15000 Btu A/C's and the microwave at the same time. I did it this way because they are much easier to handle at 44 Lbs each

tgpilot
07-27-2015, 01:38 PM
When I upgraded my new 3000IS to the 5000IS I was aware of the two, two thousand units. I just didn't want to go that way.

I just got home last night and Saturday night as I spent the night in a Pilot parking lot I fired up the new 5000IS and it ran all night running my A/C, microwave and TV plus other things all at one with no problem.

Just went over to the neighbors, and his son has a almost new Honda IS6500 that I could have bought for $2,000. It's a lot louder than my 5000IS, but, for the money it could have worked.