PDA

View Full Version : Carry-out Manual Portable Satellite Dish

Maxzd
03-19-2011, 08:02 PM
So I just bought one of these and picked it up late this afternoon at the post office. See picture below. I've had satellite TV at home for at least 10 years. In my last travel trailer, I actually removed the analog antenna and put a permanent fold down satellite dish on the roof. It was nice, just brought the receiver along from home. The odd time, I was stuck though.. If I wasn't parked in an idea spot I couldn't get the right signal.. Maybe trees or something else blocking the line of sight..

This time around, I wasn't sure what I would end up doing.. Digital Antenna is pretty good, but not great in some areas zero channels.. I considered another fold down dish, but they are twice the price.. I looked at the dome satellite dishes, the manual one requires power and coax to it so I decided against it. Then the really high end satellite domes usually self seeking they are as much as 800 bucks.

Decided for this MP1 Manual model. The reviews are very good for it and I figured for the price, free tripod and free shipping sounded alright to me. So while I haven't set it up yet, out of the box I'm pleased with how everything looks so far. Small footprint, basically a suitcase when in storage. My unit is prewired for satellite so I can put this anywhere I have line of sight, the limitations is length of coax cable. Most likely it will sit on my roof up out of the way.

I'll let everyone know once I have it setup how it works but it seems straight forward. I'm used to doing this manually, but recently downloaded a satellite finder APP for my iPhone. That should make it even easier.. uses the camera on the phone and the GPS so I can point to the sky and see where the line of site is to the satellite. The app is called Dishpointer AR Pro from DP Technologies Ltd.

http://images.campingworld.com/is/image/CWI/40000/49428n.jpg?

WaitingToRetire
06-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Any updates? How easy is it to align? How do you know you're aligned - do you listen for the beep-beep-beep on the recv'r? What about wind - is there a way to "anchor" it down?

Chad

Txoutback
06-14-2011, 03:58 AM
Here is another thread on the same dish:
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2961&highlight=carryout
You have to supply your own anchors.

Maxzd
06-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Any updates? How easy is it to align? How do you know you're aligned - do you listen for the beep-beep-beep on the recv'r? What about wind - is there a way to "anchor" it down?

Chad

Alignment isn't an issue so far. Travelled 3500 miles California and back setup in several spots. I have a satellite finder software program on my laptop to give me the settings and just go and do it. When I bought the unit it came with a bonus stand. The stand has a bungie cord and a ground corkscrew to stop from blowing over. Plus it can be filled with sand or water. The base is like a canteen it is hollow.. Quite happy, i was in a few spots where a roof mounted would have been useless blocked by trees. This goes anywhere just needs coax length..