PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions On Selling Toy Hauler

C130
07-03-2015, 07:07 AM
We are considering selling our 2011 Fuzion 322TE and getting something a little larger. I've sold several nice trailers but this is the first RV so wondering how people handle it. My storage unit is around 25 minutes away so it's not real close by.

Reason I ask is I had a guy look at it yesterday so I went and pulled it out of the storage unit, opened the slides, started the generator, etc. The guy was clueless, didn't have a truck, and knew absolutely nothing about toy haulers or any other RV. He said absolutely nothing the entire time then just said thanks and goodbye. I know this is part of trying to sell something but how do others that have sold RV's handle this? Do you even take the time to connect it, take it out of the storage unit, open the slides, etc. unless they actually ask or show some interest? I prefer to sell it myself vs. getting nothing for it on a trade in. I also plan on trying to find another very nice used unit if I sell my current Fuzion.

I'm in no hurry and to sell it and if I can't get a good price I'll keep it. Price wise, do most use NADA? I've asked a couple of dealers what they'd give me on trade in but they want me to decide on a new unit and then try and negotiate on both ends and pretend they are giving me more on my trade in but just taking less off the new unit. I'm not interested in that type of negotiating.

KSH
07-03-2015, 08:14 AM
I can't stand selling things purely because I don't want to deal with all the looky loos.. sorry for not contributing

PARAPTOR
07-03-2015, 08:32 AM
We are considering selling our 2011 Fuzion 322TE and getting something a little larger. I've sold several nice trailers but this is the first RV so wondering how people handle it. My storage unit is around 25 minutes away so it's not real close by.

Reason I ask is I had a guy look at it yesterday so I went and pulled it out of the storage unit, opened the slides, started the generator, etc. The guy was clueless, didn't have a truck, and knew absolutely nothing about toy haulers or any other RV. He said absolutely nothing the entire time then just said thanks and goodbye. I know this is part of trying to sell something but how do others that have sold RV's handle this? Do you even take the time to connect it, take it out of the storage unit, open the slides, etc. unless they actually ask or show some interest? I prefer to sell it myself vs. getting nothing for it on a trade in. I also plan on trying to find another very nice used unit if I sell my current Fuzion.

I'm in no hurry and to sell it and if I can't get a good price I'll keep it. Price wise, do most use NADA? I've asked a couple of dealers what they'd give me on trade in but they want me to decide on a new unit and then try and negotiate on both ends and pretend they are giving me more on my trade in but just taking less off the new unit. I'm not interested in that type of negotiating.

I see this is not your first Rodeo :D

JRTJH
07-03-2015, 08:40 AM

So why not use that to your advantage. Go in, choose their most expensive model and get your "trade in value" then use that value (with that dealer) to negotiate the price for the one you "really want"... Surely, if they offer you $25K for yours "in trade for model X"... The value of your trade wouldn't change if you decided to buy model Y.....

Play their game, get your trade value and then use the value "THEY" stated as the basis for all of your negotiations.

Don't give them the opportunity to "double value" your rig, stay with the initial value they give you (based on buying their most expensive rig). Their "generosity" in that set of negotiations should work to your benefit in a more conventionally priced RV.

Javi
07-03-2015, 08:52 AM
If I was going to sell our trailer and weren't in no big hurry... I'd hang me a FOR SALE sign on it at every campground I went to.. Then I'd take me a bunch of photos of the inside and outside and hit all the sport based forums I frequent...

As for price... look and see what the dealers are asking for that model on their lots.. It might surprise you at what they are asking... I know I was when we saw what they sold my Passport for.. way lower than what the Blue Book said was retail.

C130
07-03-2015, 08:55 AM
I see this is not your first Rodeo :D

Yes, I had it out with a dealer in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. Sales guy was rude, offered zero help, right from the beginning. They had a toy hauler I was interested in and I asked him about trading in my Fuzion. He told me he didn't know what I was talking about and wasn't familiar with what I meant by using the term "trade in". Then he told me it all depended on what unit I wanted and I had to settle on one particular toy hauler and only then would we discuss trade in value. I told him it shouldn't make any difference and that I would discuss trade in value and if it made sense then I'd negotiate the price of the new toy hauler. He called me a "freaking idiot" right in front of my elderly parents and my son. For once in my life I walked out the door and left as I knew if I didn't I'd probably wind up in jail.

I've traded way too many times to fall for that tactic. When I recently traded in my F250 we had agreed upon the F250 price a couple of days before I ever found the truck I wanted. I then made them an offer on the F450 and we went back and forth a couple of times and we were done. Now, I guess I need to decide which is worse; negotiating with the dealers or dealing with the tire kickers.

I just spend a day negotiating with a dealer on a used unit. We were way off on the trade in value and I had given him all the information. Finally found out he was quoting me the non Touring Edition price and when I pointed it out he never responded again. There's a large difference in the value according to NADA, not sure on actual value differences.

C130
07-03-2015, 08:59 AM
So why not use that to your advantage. Go in, choose their most expensive model and get your "trade in value" then use that value (with that dealer) to negotiate the price for the one you "really want"... Surely, if they offer you $25K for yours "in trade for model X"... The value of your trade wouldn't change if you decided to buy model Y.....

Play their game, get your trade value and then use the value "THEY" stated as the basis for all of your negotiations.

Don't give them the opportunity to "double value" your rig, stay with the initial value they give you (based on buying their most expensive rig). Their "generosity" in that set of negotiations should work to your benefit in a more conventionally priced RV.

Thanks, might be worth the effort to try your method. It is my first time trading for an RV so I need all the advice I can get. I'm very happy with my Fuzion but would like a little more room and a few other features on the newer models. I know I just need to be patient.

Off topic, but any recommendations for the easiest way to replace my ladder? I hit it a year or so ago pulling out of my storage unit.

JRTJH
07-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Just keep the attitude that THEY need to sell more than YOU need to buy. Don't get caught up in the "passion" of wanting/needing. If you "stay unemotionally involved" and remember that you can always walk away, you can use "their need" to your advantage.

There's an old "used car sales motto" that there's a butt for every seat. There also should be a "buyer's motto" that there's a dealer for every occasion..... If the one you're talking to isn't listening to and responding to you, walk away. There's a "dealer on every corner" and you'll find the one that "clicks with your way of thinking"..... It helps to be "dealing at the end of the model year" and "after the crowd leaves the lot"....(fewer butts for the seat)...

The bottom line is that they won't sell it if they lose money, but how much they make is, at least in part, determined by "your need". Which of "your needs" prevails (the need to buy a new RV vs the need to be frugal) will pretty much determine whether you or the dealer "gets the best deal".....

hankaye
07-03-2015, 02:46 PM
C130, Howdy;

You could always drag it to a "Consignment" Dealer like PPL ... that
lets them deal with the looky-loos.

only a suggestion

hankaye

C130
07-03-2015, 03:28 PM
C130, Howdy;

You could always drag it to a "Consignment" Dealer like PPL ... that
lets them deal with the looky-loos.

only a suggestion

hankaye

I thought about that since it's fairly close by but think I'd be about as well off to trade it by the time PPL took their 10%. While I'd like to get a newer one my wife and I haven't found one yet that we absolutely love and want. So, for now unless I get close to what I want for mine I'm not going to sell it. It's just the pain of dealing with people and the hassle of showing it. If we actually found one on a lot that met all of our requirements then maybe I'd be more motivated to trade. While we will go on a couple of shorter trips the rest of this year, our next long trip won't be until next summer so not in a rush.

I looked for a few months when I bought my current toy hauler but bought it at a decent price. It was just like new and stored inside and the owners wanted to sell it pretty bad. I'd like to do the same thing again, find someone motivated to sell. They owed ten thousand more than I paid them but it really was a smooth transaction. It just took a little longer but my bank handled it all and I really was never involved after we agreed on the price.