PDA

View Full Version : Stick & Tin vs Aluminum & Fiberglass?

Tbos
06-27-2015, 06:56 AM
What's everyone's opinions regarding quality, durability, and safety of these two types of construction? Currently I have a Passport 238ML which is aluminum & fiberglass. However we are considering getting something larger. The stick & tins seem to cost less and be a little heavier. How are they in all other aspects? Thanks.

hankpage
06-27-2015, 07:58 AM
I have had both and I found that even though my Cougar weighs 2,000 lbs. more and was 3 ft. longer than my old trailer it is easier to tow with increased mpg. Mostly because of aerodynamics I would imagine. The fiberglass is MUCH easier to keep clean. In my opinion, If you are looking for an inexpensive trailer to leave on a seasonal site or don't expect to tow very far the "stick & tin" is the way to go. If you intend to take some long trips and are concerned with better resale value, I think fiberglass is the better of the two. JM2¢, Hank

zuley
06-27-2015, 08:02 AM
My thinking is the stick trailers will shake loose over time from running up and down the roads. They use power nailers and soft wood lumber in the construction. And the fact there is wood used in the construction they are more suseptible to rot casued by water leaks. Whereas with alluminum studded trailers everything is welded allowing for a sturdier construction.

Steve S
06-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Wood rots, aluminum doesn't, pretty easy choice for me

TLB
06-27-2015, 09:46 AM
I just like the look of the fiberglass myself.

KanTC
06-27-2015, 10:03 AM
An added thought, which may/may not be relevant in your situation ---

Contact your insurance (first) in reference to any price difference on coverage. If you live (or travel) to areas where *hail* storms are common,
the aluminum siding/exterior might be more costly insure (replace/repair) in the long-run?

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

JRTJH
06-27-2015, 10:13 AM
They are two different types of construction, both with benefits and "issues". It really depends on what you're looking for, what you'll be happy with, what matters to you and what your pocket can afford. As an example, wood frames tend to flex and twist more readily while aluminum frames tend to be more rigid. Depending on where they are towed, one may be more forgiving before breaking than the other. And, wood tends to insulate better while aluminum tends to allow cold to bleed through and set up condensation on the inside of the trailer more readily than wood. There are many other considerations, all of which won't make the overall choice "one or the other" as better.

Wooden framed trailers have been around for 50+ years and some are still on the road. Aluminum framed trailers have been around for 50+ years and some are still on the road. Both have more in the junk yard than running the highways after 15 or 20 years, so to say one is "better than" or "more durable than" really depends as much on how you take care of it as the construction materials. When considering water damage, there are as many members complaining of "wood rot" in flooring, walls, roof panels and window framing on the forum that own aluminum framed trailers as there are that own wood frame ones. There's much more that can be damaged by water intrusion then just the frame. In fact, the frame is seldom the part that suffers most from a leak.

It's a matter of price, value for the price and functionality of floorplan for your purposes. Get what fits your needs and pocket. They all are "reliable enough" to enjoy camping in and they all are "so easily broken" that they aren't a good value if abused. It all depends on your perspective and your desires.

KSH
06-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Get the best Floorplan you can afford, they'll both last.

MarkS
06-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Fiberglass is more hail resistant.

RSD559
06-27-2015, 08:39 PM
I see tons of older fiberglass trailers and fifth wheels with delamination issues. We had gelcoat issues with our old trailer. We bought a metal skin trailer this go round.

bsmith0404
06-28-2015, 05:45 AM
As already mentioned I've seen fiberglass delaminate and I've seen metal trailers that look like a golf ball after a hail storm. I've also had a fiberglass trailer totaled in a hail storm, the sides stood up well, but to much other damage to everything that wasn't fiberglass. In the end, just find the one that you like best.

Tbos
06-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I had not thought about many of them. Please feel free to continue commenting. I'm learning a lot from you.