PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive

rwmurphy15
06-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Looking for a nice campground around the upper Blue Ridge parkway and lower Skyline Drive around Staunton, Va. To use as a base and go to sites. Any suggestions. I would sooner hear from forum members than read reviews.oh one more thing DW said it has to have cable TV or be able to use the satellite got to keep her happy.

Seabee
06-26-2015, 05:10 PM
I guess it depends on how close "around" Staunton you want to be. The KOA at Harrisonburg is pretty decent. The Jellystones at Luray and Natural Bridge are both very nice. Check out this site: http://www.virginiacampgrounds.org/ and search the campgrounds in the area. Good luck.

Mr30RLI
06-29-2015, 04:56 AM
Big Meadows at mile post 50 or so is great but it is dry camping. No hookups of any type. Potable water on the way in at the dump station. We were able to receive a lot of ota stations when we were there a few weeks ago so your sat should be good to go just stay out of the trees.

Frank

gearhead
06-29-2015, 05:40 AM
We stayed at the KOA near Monticello. It's older and a bit off the beaten path. You might check their website for cable.
If you haven't toured Monticello, I would recommend it.

sptddog
06-29-2015, 06:21 AM
I guess it depends on how close "around" Staunton you want to be. The KOA at Harrisonburg is pretty decent. The Jellystones at Luray and Natural Bridge are both very nice. Check out this site: http://www.virginiacampgrounds.org/ and search the campgrounds in the area. Good luck.

We've stayed in both Jellystone's and thought they were both good, but the Luray one is better. The sites were large and shaded, and the resort atmosphere is great - water slides, nice pools, jumping pillow, great kid activities. Depends what you are looking for, because all those things mean it's more expensive as well. The Natural Bridge jellystone is also quite nice, my only complaint there is that most of the campsites are quite a bit away from the pools and activities, and you have to cross a street to get there. You def want bikes or a golf cart to get around.

If you're looking for a true base, with less amenities, Big Meadow is nice. We drove through on one of our trips to scout it out. Unfortunately back then we weren't in a position to dry camp.

rwmurphy15
06-29-2015, 05:32 PM
I was looking at Shenandoah Valley Campground. Anybody stay here.

Harleyhop
06-30-2015, 02:09 AM
We have stayed at the KOA Walnut Hills Stauton VA on our way to Charlotte several times. It's eight off Interstate 81. Nice,clean CG. Would like to go back and stay longer than an overnight stay.

skidooxman
07-16-2015, 02:58 PM
KOA Luray is a great place to stay. I stay once a year when we ride the parkway, views are great and the sites are perfect, level and very clean!

chris199
07-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Montebello Camping Resort was nice!!! Remote somewhat but within minutes of Blue Ridge Pkwy. Near hiking at Crabtree Falls.
Call CG for directions. DO NOT follow GPS directions!!