PDA

View Full Version : Fading front cap

customshey
06-25-2015, 04:00 PM
I have a 2014 255rb Laredo. The front cap is dark brown and fading very badly on the top. Was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. Tried waxing it but it didn't help. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? The dealer was no help at all. Thanks.

hankpage
06-25-2015, 04:20 PM
If you look around the forum you will find that your problem is common and others have dealt with it differently. Try searching for "faded cap" or similar key words. Good luck, Hank

TallEddie
06-26-2015, 08:05 AM
I have a 2014 laredo 303TG and have the same issue. I still wax it, doesn't bring back the shine, but it does look presentable at least.

From my searching, I have seen that people have been able to pressure keystone into re-painting the cap.

I've decided to just live with it for now. Perhaps some year I may look into a repaint, but from what I have seen, even if you do get keystone to re-paint, it will fade again. I think a covered storage area would be the only way to stop this issue.

rosede
06-26-2015, 11:48 AM
I have a 2012 272RK, and I had the exact same issue. Less than a year, the front cap started to fade. I contacted my dealer, and they worked with Keystone to get it repainted. The place that I took it to specialized in large trucks, buses and the like. They got it painted quickly and it still looks good.

The only difficulty that I had was getting decals. Apparently, the company that made the decals for my camper went out of business and it took Keystone nearly a year to get new ones. But, all is now good and I am happy with the whole processes.

NORSK1
06-26-2015, 01:28 PM
I purchased a 19 foot Bullet Premier last Fall and have the same faded look. I have managed to get it looking presentable using Boating products. The polishes have a little rubbing compound in them and are made for gel coats. So far the area I can reach looks ok. The OK look lasted a month and now it looks pretty sad and faded. I have at the dealer and am waiting for determination on a repair. 08/21/15
Good luck,
Ron

homer3
06-26-2015, 08:38 PM
This a very common problem with certain models. As stated if you use the search tool and type in "Front Fade Cap", you see quite a long string of inputs. Some good and some bad.

barchak
06-29-2015, 07:49 AM
I have a 2013 Laredo 303TG and my cap was fading really bad. I took it to the dealer about 10 months after purchase. They worked with Keystone and repainted the front cap, clear coated, and applied new graphics. Six months later it still looks great.

I was told Keystone had not properly treated some caps with UV protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavagrand
06-30-2015, 05:12 PM
My 2015 299BH has the same issue. The top of the front cap looks terrible. It's scheduled to be painted at LazyDays on July 9.

Imthek9
07-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Did you purchase the exterior protection at time of purchase?

-Stephen
Working Dog Handler
West Olive, Mi

2015 Keystone Cougar 31SQB
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax LTZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mavagrand
07-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Did you purchase the exterior protection at time of purchase?

-Stephen
Working Dog Handler
West Olive, Mi

2015 Keystone Cougar 31SQB
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax LTZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, sir, just the manufacturers warranty. I'm just under a year with it.

homer3
07-24-2015, 07:30 PM
mavagrand - Yes the wife and I paid for the exterior finish warranty "Maxgard". Yes I just the the 5ver back the other day. Looks very nice. Dealer repainted with a acrylic paint as well as a clear coat. Just applied wax thew other day, looks very nice. Hope it holds. I believe the problem with original was that it was a crappy gel-coat finish over fiber glass. If you ever owned a boat you know this does not work well. Just glad its done, no money out of my pocket, so who ultimately paid for the repaint I don't care. I paid my share up front at time of purchase.

mavagrand
08-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Glad you're happy with the repair. Mine is going in this weekend.

Cemguy
08-12-2015, 06:49 PM
I have a badly fading cap that I first started to notice in Oct. 2013. It was an are at the top center, and my dealer told me to use a good wax cleaner. I did that and it helped. Wasn't perfect when viewed from the roof, but ok when viewed from the ground. I was never advised that Keystone had any paint issues with the cap. The fading area became more cloudy and was about the same size, maybe somewhat larger through 2014. I wash and wax regularly. Area of fading grew a bit. This year the fading took off.

Now Keystone says tough luck.....its out of warrantee........even though I told dealer of the problem back in 2013. I am getting no help from Keystone and I think this is terrible. The rest of the rv is in pristine condition. Had I known of the issue and how it would grow I would have raised holy he__ back in 10/2013.

Today the customer service rep referred me to a page (13?) in my owners manual and asked me if I periodically power buff the cap. What? How's that for customer service. Seems to me the paint on a 2+ year old unit, that is regularly washed and waxed should hold up for many years.

What's my option? A lawyer?

JRTJH
08-12-2015, 07:16 PM
I have a badly fading cap that I first started to notice in Oct. 2013. It was an are at the top center, and my dealer told me to use a good wax cleaner. I did that and it helped. Wasn't perfect when viewed from the roof, but ok when viewed from the ground. I was never advised that Keystone had any paint issues with the cap. The fading area became more cloudy and was about the same size, maybe somewhat larger through 2014. I wash and wax regularly. Area of fading grew a bit. This year the fading took off.

Now Keystone says tough luck.....its out of warrantee........even though I told dealer of the problem back in 2013. I am getting no help from Keystone and I think this is terrible. The rest of the rv is in pristine condition. Had I known of the issue and how it would grow I would have raised holy he__ back in 10/2013.

Today the customer service rep referred me to a page (13?) in my owners manual and asked me if I periodically power buff the cap. What? How's that for customer service. Seems to me the paint on a 2+ year old unit, that is regularly washed and waxed should hold up for many years.

What's my option? A lawyer?

Do a forum search for "faded paint" or "faded front" and you will get a lot of information about the experiences of other owners. Some have been successful in getting Keystone to help with repairs, others have hit a "brick wall" and have received no help from Keystone.

After doing some research on Keystone products, it might interest you to do a "google search" on "RV faded front cap". You'll find on the first page of results, information on faded front caps on Heartland, Jayco, Keystone, Winnebago and Forest River products.

While that won't "soothe your frustration" it should illustrate that it's not a "keystone issue" but it's a problem that affects the entire RV industry.

Good luck with your quest to get your RV repaired. The more "background information" you know, the better your chances of being able to carry an intelligent conversation with customer service both at your dealership and at Keystone.

mavagrand
09-14-2015, 02:53 PM
Got the camper back. Look's great!

wayfun
10-26-2015, 07:21 AM
I just pulled my trailer out of storage where it's been for the last 6 months and it has faded badly. It was fine when I left it there last April. I guess the FL sun is hard on it. It's out of warranty at 15 months. Hope a good waxing will help. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/26/38db0a37bd7e78ef21c9c745bf396340.jpg

sw342
10-26-2015, 09:28 AM
A good waxing will help temporarily, but in no way is a permanent solution. The fading will be back in 6-12 months if not sooner The problem is with the cap itself. See if your dealer will go to bat for you. If they have a good working relationship with Keystone it would help. Keep an eye out on your stickers and see if they are starting to change colors.

I just removed all the stickers off my faded front cap its ready now for me to wet sand it and buff it out or put a wrap on it. At my storage facility my neighbor with a 2 year old Cougar with the grey front cap is starting to go at the top. Four spots down from me another guy with his 5th wheel with the brown front cap just had his wrapped. Keystone told him to pound sand since he was a couple months out of warranty and his trailer is always covered unless he is using it. So the BS lie that Keystone tells you about YOUR lack of maintaining/waxing it and its a natural occurrence is just that...BS

There are numerous other TT and 5th wheels at my storage yard that are starting to fade or are in bad shape already. Not all Keystones, but other brands included that have the colored front caps. A class action suit should be brought against the manufacturer of those caps. Its a shame Keystone, Glacier Bay, Heartland and the other makers will not stand up for their customers when an industry wide problem comes up. I suppose its much easier for them to blame their customers than to hold their partner/supplier responsible.

therink
10-26-2015, 05:43 PM
I thought the cap on my 2013 was immune to the fading issue until a few weeks ago. I keep it clean and have waxed the cap 3x year for the 3 seasons I have owned it. 2 weeks ago when waxing it before winter, I noticed a large area on the top now fading.
It will only get worse over time. So do I try to claim under the fight of warranty or do I get it fixed on my nickel and move on?
I pretty sure that if I do pay myself, I will likely have a graphics shop simply put a vinyl colored skin on it to color match it. I talked to a friend of my who owns a graphics business and he said he could do it. We didn't talk cost.

sw342
10-26-2015, 07:21 PM
I thought the cap on my 2013 was immune to the fading issue until a few weeks ago. I keep it clean and have waxed the cap 3x year for the 3 seasons I have owned it. 2 weeks ago when waxing it before winter, I noticed a large area on the top now fading.
It will only get worse over time. So do I try to claim under the fight of warranty or do I get it fixed on my nickel and move on?
I pretty sure that if I do pay myself, I will likely have a graphics shop simply put a vinyl colored skin on it to color match it. I talked to a friend of my who owns a graphics business and he said he could do it. We didn't talk cost.

2013 was one of the prime years for problems. Can't hurt to talk to your dealer and see what he says considering you are out of warranty. Around here its about $1500 to get the front wrapped. If you have a friend in the business maybe he could cut you a nice discount and it would be a good way to go.

Pmedic4
10-26-2015, 07:55 PM
A good waxing will help temporarily, but in no way is a permanent solution. The fading will be back in 6-12 months if not sooner The problem is with the cap itself. See if your dealer will go to bat for you. If they have a good working relationship with Keystone it would help. Keep an eye out on your stickers and see if they are starting to change colors.

I just removed all the stickers off my faded front cap its ready now for me to wet sand it and buff it out or put a wrap on it. At my storage facility my neighbor with a 2 year old Cougar with the grey front cap is starting to go at the top. Four spots down from me another guy with his 5th wheel with the brown front cap just had his wrapped. Keystone told him to pound sand since he was a couple months out of warranty and his trailer is always covered unless he is using it. So the BS lie that Keystone tells you about YOUR lack of maintaining/waxing it and its a natural occurrence is just that...BS

There are numerous other TT and 5th wheels at my storage yard that are starting to fade or are in bad shape already. Not all Keystones, but other brands included that have the colored front caps. A class action suit should be brought against the manufacturer of those caps. Its a shame Keystone, Glacier Bay, Heartland and the other makers will not stand up for their customers when an industry wide problem comes up. I suppose its much easier for them to blame their customers than to hold their partner/supplier responsible.

What is really bothersome about the front caps fading on all the RV's, is if our trucks or cars faded as bad as the RV's, we'd all be in complaining at our dealerships probably even 5 years afterwards. Definitely a different exterior manufacturing quality standard applies to the entire RV industry, except those shiny metal twinkies.

JRTJH
10-27-2015, 05:29 AM
What is really bothersome about the front caps fading on all the RV's, is if our trucks or cars faded as bad as the RV's, we'd all be in complaining at our dealerships probably even 5 years afterwards. Definitely a different exterior manufacturing quality standard applies to the entire RV industry, except those shiny metal twinkies.

Those "shiny metal twinkies" aren't without their problems... The "brushed aluminum" exterior has a clear coat or plasticoat finish. When (and it happens often) that starts peeling, it's a mess !!!

On our 1968 Airstream, in 1970, the cost to refinish the peeling clear coat was $2700. Even the "ultimate RV" isn't without many of the same problems we face with our Keystone RV's.

steveh326
10-28-2015, 05:48 AM
well dang it. Window shopping for our next camper and Laredo and Cougar are on the top of the list due to floorplans and features we like. I see some new Laredo's with a lighter color front cap I wonder if that was to try to address the fading issue of the dark brown or not.

twomad
10-29-2015, 07:08 AM
If you look at 2 or 3 year old boats that have dark colored hulls they are faded. The only way to keep from fading is to buff it often (who wants to do that) or have it painted with arcrylic paint and clear coated, don't buy a trailer with dark colored caps. The paint option is a little expensive that's why there not done that way from the factory.

sw342
10-29-2015, 08:31 AM
If you look at 2 or 3 year old boats that have dark colored hulls they are faded. The only way to keep from fading is to buff it often (who wants to do that) or have it painted with arcrylic paint and clear coated, don't buy a trailer with dark colored caps. The paint option is a little expensive that's why there not done that way from the factory.

Boats don't fade that quick around here. Now 5-6 years with no care they will start to show some fade. Now with a colored gel coat you will have a much better chance of bringing the color back with some wet sanding and buffing even after many years of neglect.

mavagrand
10-29-2015, 12:56 PM
I just pulled my trailer out of storage where it's been for the last 6 months and it has faded badly. It was fine when I left it there last April. I guess the FL sun is hard on it. It's out of warranty at 15 months. Hope a good waxing will help. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/26/38db0a37bd7e78ef21c9c745bf396340.jpg

This is exactly what mine looked like. If you can, take it by LazyDays in Seffner, see if they can do anything for you. They did a good job with mine.