PDA

View Full Version : Large Window Replacement

KSH
06-25-2015, 09:32 AM
I have the springdale 240BH. on of the smaller windows (on the drivers side) of the dinnette slide out doesn't close all the way. The dealer ordered a complete window (Huge fixed window, and two smaller windows that open at the bottom, the on on the outside of the slide, not the sides) to replace the whole thing (under warranty). Is there anything i should be concerned about with them replacing that whole entire thing? I expressed my concerns to the service manager and he said they do things better than the mfg. Its a huge window, and clearly I'm a little concerned of it getting sealed up properly.

http://d17qgzvii7d4wm.cloudfront.net/s3/img.rv/35761/i/1465907/o/1_35761_1465907_26355630.jpg;maxwidth=1024;maxheig ht=1024;mode=crop

JRTJH
06-25-2015, 10:02 AM
It's a piece of cake. Dealers (and owners alike) replace or remove and reseal windows of all sizes frequently. I've removed the end windows of my Springdale slide as well as the "HUGE" rear window which was about 60" x 90". If done properly, it's no more difficult to reinstall a large window than it is to reinstall a small one. It's simply a matter of having the right number of "hands" to hold it in place while someone inside secures it with the trim ring.

I wouldn't be a bit concerned with the dealership replacing the entire window. In fact, knowing how the lower hinged part is installed at by the window manufacturer, I'd be more concerned with the dealer disassembling the "sealed frame" than with him replacing the entire structure.

KSH
06-25-2015, 01:44 PM
OK. Thanks for the response. What should I check out inside and out after its done? Water test?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

JRTJH
06-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Make sure the butyl tape (putty tape) is even and that there are no putty gaps around the outside flange of the window. Check each mounting screw for security (they don't need to be excessively tightened, just snug and secure) and that any "oozing" butyl tape is cleaned and trimmed properly. Otherwise, spraying water on the window may make you feel better, but rain has a "funny way" of getting into places that a water spray from a hose can't find, so there's not a lot of value in "attacking the window with a hose".....

KSH
06-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out when I pick it up.

KSH
07-29-2015, 07:28 AM
Went to pick it up. They had the butyl putty. I noticed a few runs of water on the inside of the window (they washed it before I picked it up). I pointed it out. They also had silicon around the window. They said water could have come in the weep holes with the power washer, but it's a long up hill for the water to drip from the top. They told me they would pull it and redo it. Any concerns that they didn't get it right or that they added silicon when no other windows have it?

Festus2
07-29-2015, 06:56 PM
I've replaced one of my windows about the same size as the one you had replaced. I just used butyl tape putty and set the window onto the putty and went round, tightened the screws (much like torqueing lug nuts) and trimmed off any excess putty that had squeezed out. I never applied any caulking - silicone or other - over the window afterwards.
If I were to use caulking, I wouldn't apply silicone. I'd use Geocel or something similar.

KSH
07-29-2015, 07:53 PM
I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. They said they put more butyl. We'll see.