PDA

View Full Version : Greasing the axels

michael_h
06-24-2015, 08:04 PM
I was wondering how often you recommend greasing the axel bearings, if you use the zert fitting in the end of the cap and how much do you add?

I use my trailer a lot, often twice a month or more, average distance 130 miles each way, have been adding a couple pumps from the grease gun about every 6 months thru the zert fitting

bobbecky
06-24-2015, 08:42 PM
If you are only adding a little grease each time, I can't even guess how many years it will take to get grease to the outer bearing. From the factory, they pack grease in the bearings, but using the E-Z-Lube system, you have to pump close to an entire tube of grease through the inner bearing and out the outer bearing to grease the bearings, all the while rotating the wheel as the grease is pumped slowly by hand. After all that greasing, you still don't know how your brakes look. You will get other opinions, pro and con, but I pull the drums and inspect the brakes, pack the bearings and install with new seals annually.

MarkS
06-25-2015, 03:23 AM
Most people say to not use the EZLube fittings. There is a good chance one of the seals will leak and get grease on the brakes. Happened to me.

It's better to to pull the wheels once a year to inspect and repack the bearings.

bg71361
06-25-2015, 04:27 AM
Dexters video.

http://youtu.be/XT0RKDGgDm8