PDA

View Full Version : Oops, left a window open, what now?

trueweb
06-22-2015, 03:45 AM
There are three windows in the garage of my Raptor. The kids had been playing around on the bunk beds and I'm guess the top window was closed but not latched. I know it's my fault for not checking them inside, but I usually just do the exterior once over and if it's all closed I'm ready to roll. Well, about 5 miles down the highway I checked my mirror to make a pass and saw the window flapping out there. I pulled over and was able to get it closed, but the top edge/hinge appears to be bent out, so instead of sitting flush now, the top edge sticks out about 1/8 to 1/4", guessing on the measurement I just eyeballed it. Can I use a rubber mallet and work it back flush, remove and re-bend the hinge, replace the whole window frame?

I can't be the first person to do this, I sure hope not. ;)

Thanks for any tips!

Ken / Claudia
06-22-2015, 08:29 PM
If it were me. I would remove the whole window and try to bend the frame back into shape if that does not work, purchase a new one. When putting the window back in seal up the area real good. I would not pound on the side of the trailer that may prove to be costly. So far I only lost a roof vent cover from the same thing. Not closing it.

trueweb
06-23-2015, 03:21 AM
If it were me. I would remove the whole window and try to bend the frame back into shape if that does not work, purchase a new one. When putting the window back in seal up the area real good. I would not pound on the side of the trailer that may prove to be costly. So far I only lost a roof vent cover from the same thing. Not closing it.

I believe this is sound advice. I considered what the pounding might do as well and have been patiently waiting to see if anyone has done this before.

Do you know what type of hinge it is? I don't think it's a piano hinge it might actually be two semi circles interlocked that could be separated with a little finesse. If that was the case then perhaps the hinge section could be straightened out.

Hopefully I'll have some time today to get a closer look at it.