PDA

View Full Version : companion hitchs

bob48
06-15-2015, 12:30 PM
does anyone know of anyone that makes an anti theft device for a b&w comapnion hitch?
i just installed mine and realized how easy it would be to steal it. just loosen 5 bolts.
thank toy

EricLynnAllison
06-15-2015, 12:58 PM
That's interesting, never thought about that. My rollback cover locks it in my bed. I suppose you could chain it to one of the in bed tie downs.

bsmith0404
06-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Wasn't that familiar with them so I watched a You Tube video on the hitch. From what I saw, you don't even have to loosen 5 bolts, just pull the pin under the bed and take it out. Do you have some type of a lock for that? If you do and there isn't a need to readjust the other bolts, I'd put a tack weld on the nuts.

PerryB
06-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Wasn't that familiar with them so I watched a You Tube video on the hitch. From what I saw, you don't even have to loosen 5 bolts, just pull the pin under the bed and take it out. Do you have some type of a lock for that? If you do and there isn't a need to readjust the other bolts, I'd put a tack weld on the nuts.

You can't pull the pin because its under significant shear load from the draw-down bolt. About the only way to lock the hitch to the truck would be a chain through the safety rings and around the hitch frame.

Out of curiosity I looked up the bolt tension. A 1/2"x13 bolt at 40 ft/lb produces about 5000 lb. of force. If anybody can pull that pin, I'm not going to try to stop them!

Javi
06-15-2015, 03:54 PM
I've always figured that if someone wanted that badly.... they'll get it no matter what I do.. :D

PerryB
06-15-2015, 04:13 PM
That's for sure. The cordless grinder has made it REALLY easy for thieves to get whatever they want. Now thats what we'll have to register next!

GMcKenzie
06-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Now thats what we'll have to register next!

Crap. Don't give them any ideas.....

Ron
06-15-2015, 09:15 PM
If I'm in a area of concern of theft, I put a chain from the hitch to the bed, and the 2 top pins on the hitch, I installed to small locks so the head could not be stolen also...

DaveC
06-17-2015, 08:58 AM
You can't pull the pin because its under significant shear load from the draw-down bolt. About the only way to lock the hitch to the truck would be a chain through the safety rings and around the hitch frame.

Out of curiosity I looked up the bolt tension. A 1/2"x13 bolt at 40 ft/lb produces about 5000 lb. of force. If anybody can pull that pin, I'm not going to try to stop them!

Fwiw, I was showing my son how to hook up the hitch last week and decided to show him how a torque wrench worked while I was at it.
Come to find out, my "good enough" wasn't quite 40# yet. I expected the wrench to click right off the bat but it still took a few cranks before it actually clicked.

As far as locking it, I'm tuned is as well.

Sounds like a wire cable locked to the bed tie downs and then locked to the hitch would help slow someone down.

Old Mustanger
06-17-2015, 11:54 AM
I run a cable lock thru the hitch and lock it to the bed tie down in the front corner. Won't stop someone who is determined and has the right cutter or grinder but may slow them down.
I like the idea of the small lock is the pins too, think Ill have to try that.