PDA

View Full Version : Fans

trueweb
06-14-2015, 06:14 PM
I'm looking for a solution for a bedroom fan. Something quiet, but not necessarily super quiet, but something that can move a reasonable amount of air and maybe even be oscillating.

We dry camp a lot at events where there are quiet times at night so generators need to be off. The AC can cool things plenty and nights are usually cool enough, but a fan would be really nice to keep air moving throughout the night.

I've seen a lot of 6" size fans on Amazon that can run off 12v, but they have questionable reviews. I can pick up an inexpensive 110V fan and use an inverter to run the fan. I just don't know how that will impact the batteries.

Anyone have any recommendations or experience with this?

MotownJG
06-14-2015, 06:32 PM
Good question, waiting to see who replies....we're dry camping this week......

chuckster57
06-14-2015, 06:47 PM
I would think a desk top 110V fan wouldn't draw that many amps/watts. With a generator you could recharge in the morning.

There are formulas for figuring out how much energy a device will use but I am not a mathematician.

JRTJH
06-14-2015, 08:00 PM
A small 120 VAC fan and inverter would probably work well (provided you have a dual 12 volt battery setup or a 6 volt battery system), trying to run a fan all night on a single battery will probably be "stretching your luck."

Fantastic builds 3 speed ceiling vents that are very efficient, quiet and move a lot of air. They also introduced a "stand alone 12 VDC fan" a couple of years ago. It is essentially a Fantastic ceiling vent that's been adapted/converted to a 12 VDC box fan. It's not that expensive, doesn't require an inverter and is a very handy addition to hot weather dry camping.

You can review it here: http://www.adventurerv.net/fantastic-vent-endless-breeze-fan-p-1456.html?osCsid=u8h6524mnublogbl35kp74hnt4

Festus2
06-14-2015, 09:03 PM
We have a Fantastic Fan in our bedroom. It's a fairly basic model -- 3 speeds, thermostatically controlled .. no rain sensor or remote. It is efficient but it also draws 1.86 amps on the lowest setting and it is rated at 39 decibels (low setting) which may be a tad high for sleeping - especially when the fan is almost directly overhead.

We've never used it at night while dry camping so I can't comment how it effects on our 6v batteries.

You might want to check out 12v fans that are used in marine applications - on sailboats, powerboats, etc.

Steve S
06-15-2015, 08:11 AM
I've been looking for a duel 12 volt fan that can be attached to the ceiling with 1 fan blowing 1 way and the other fan blowing the other way.
They are out there I just need to look around a bit.

GaryWT
06-15-2015, 08:38 AM
When I camp in a tent with the scouts I have a battery operated fan, runs off D or AA batteries. Have used it for a week without changing batteries. It is small and works well and doubles as a flashlight if needed. Probably got it at Dick's or Wally World.

tommy_z
07-28-2015, 10:54 AM
O2Cool now makes a 10" portable fan that runs on 8 'D' batteries, comes with a 110V adapter, and offers an optional 12V plug adapter. Or you can make your own adapter to wire to existing 12V source.

I bought two and think they do an admirable job of moving air. They are pretty quiet on high, fold for easy storage. Reviews say it will run 40hrs on new batteries.