PDA

View Full Version : Auto changeover on Fridge

Dollarbill60
06-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Quick question. Is it acceptable to allow the fridge to run on propane while in transit? Recently purchased a 2007 Keystone RK29. Thanks.

Seabee
06-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Yes Sir. Do it every trip, never an issue.

B&T
06-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Yes, always do it, but always turn it off during a fuel stop.

Harleyhop
06-11-2015, 05:23 PM
I always run the fridge on LP while traveling never had one problem.

chuckster57
06-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Pretty much all of us do, but is it safe? If you read the label on the propane cylinder it states in part "while transporting, the cylinder should be in a upright position with the valve OFF". Another consideration is the placard on the fuel pump at the gas station "NO FLAME WITHIN 25 FEET".

After 9/11, some areas of the country require the cylinders be off to cross bridges or other roads. If you turn your fridge on a couple of days prior to leaving and load cold foods, it will keep things cold for about 4-6 hours so you could shut it off.

For the record, I leave mine on.

14george
06-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Yes, always do it, but always turn it off during a fuel stop.
X2 never had a problem

spicercars
06-12-2015, 04:04 AM
I have done it for years with no problem.

jsmith948
06-12-2015, 04:42 AM
Always run our fridge on LP while traveling. Shut the fridge off when fueling. Only takes a few seconds. Don't have to shut the valve at the bottle, just the switch on the refer.

chuckster57
06-12-2015, 05:32 AM
If you shut off the propane at the cylinder, it will probably put the fridge into "check" mode and not relight when you turn the cylinder back on.

GaryWT
06-12-2015, 05:57 AM
As many others do, we run with ours on but generally do not stop for fuel.

Barbell
06-12-2015, 06:50 AM
We leave the fridge control in the "auto" position so it automatically switches to LP when power is disconnected and we are traveling. So far, see no reason to do otherwise.

concours
06-12-2015, 06:53 AM
We do run with ours on gas but a word of caution is that on 2 occasions when travelling on very windy days with the fridge on gas the thermal protection fuse has blown causing the fridge to be totally inoperative both on gas or electric. We carry a spare thermal link which is easy to change also don't buy from the dealer go to an electronics store they charge a fraction of the price for the fuse

GmaPaTime
06-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Do it all the time. Around our area, you need bottles off going through tunnels but turn back on at first stop. :)

bigbluthundr
06-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Never have left mine ON.

bbt

DaveC
06-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Always on, but switch it to gas before leaving out so I can make sure it lights.
Sometimes I have to purge the line by switching the gas on and off then on again if it doesn't light the first time around.

CarKath
06-12-2015, 05:51 PM
I / we would never travel with the propane turned on. It is against the law I believe in at least one province. BC, Festus can confirm or deny that one. Besides the bridge and tunnel bans nationwide. USA and Canada.

There is a listing out there somewhere that I can not seem to find again, of where it is legal and not.

Ambassador bridge incident comes to mind for recent history. RV blew up crossing it. Hmmm I wonder why.

Travel safe and have fun

Carl

concours
06-13-2015, 06:56 AM
The reason that there was a recall and that manufactures now install a thermal fuse is to prevent fires and explosions that are caused by the flame been constantly blown out then trying to relight

WaltBennett
06-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Have had it in auto mode on many trips and several rigs. Never were stopped for an inspection and never worried about it during fueling (refer isn't anywhere near the truck filling spot, and now we've diesel). Only thing I've ever been concerned about is if I've got to park for more than a few minutes on a slope or hill (and I try never to do that anyway) as they aren't designed to work when tilted.