PDA

View Full Version : electrical box under pin box

YKX
06-11-2015, 03:44 PM
There is a red wire that splits into a white and black wire. Black wire is hooked up but white wire is not capped. Wondering where it goes. Thinking it has something to do with electrical brakes cause mine suddenly stopped working but lights work. Any help would be great.

chuckster57
06-11-2015, 05:17 PM
There are 7 wires in the box coming from the cord that plugs into the TV.

Black should be 12VDC positive and the white should be ground. Brake is normally blue, so I am a little confused. Is the stray wire from the break-away switch?

Here is a link to a wiring diagram that should help sort things out:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

YKX
06-11-2015, 07:12 PM
The wire is covered in a red sleeve then it's splits into a black and white wire. Black is hooked up but white wire is not connected to anything. What would red wire be?

YKX
06-11-2015, 07:14 PM
The red wire comes from rv not harness

chuckster57
06-11-2015, 08:15 PM
So the red wire from the trailer turns into 2 wires, one black and one white?

I'm sorry, but it isn't making much sense to me. The red wire on the trailer side could be the power lead to the break away switch, but I am confused why it would split (become) two wires.

YKX
06-11-2015, 08:41 PM
8785 this is the box. Wonder if white wire connects with yellow wire

chuckster57
06-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Okay, now I see what you mean. There are three wires in an insulated jacket, one red one black and one white. It would make sense to me that the white one is a ground of you follow the normal wiring "rules" of RV's. That would mean it belongs with the other white ones.

Quite often there is a bunch of white wires connected together using one large wire nut and sometimes the bundle is so large that a single wire can slip out. If that is the case, then I would be generous with the electrical tape on that bundle and cap to keep it all together.

JRTJH
06-11-2015, 08:58 PM
8785 this is the box. Wonder if white wire connects with yellow wire

The yellow wire is most likely your back up lights. It's in the umbilical from the truck to the junction box and it "dead ends" there. There shouldn't be anything connected to the yellow wire unless you actually have back up lights on your trailer.

chuckster57
06-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Thanks john for catching that part. It's past my bed time, our hours have changed this week to beat the heat.

YKX
06-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks so much for all the help. Will put that wire back with white wires!

rjsurfer
06-12-2015, 12:29 AM
That black red pair thats inside the red sleeve is indeed the "brake" wires. If you follow them through the chassis they connect to the brake wires attached to the brake markets.

I split that wire pair and used the black one to connect to my electric to hydraulic pump for my disc brake install.

Ron W