PDA

View Full Version : Reinforced door for carbon

steve slade
06-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Is there any place that rienforces doors. I have a carbon 32 and would like to get the door taken apart to get reinforced so I can I install a patio setup. Is it easy to take apart and just have a welding shop make me an internal structure or is it vacuumed bonded any I can't take it apart without wrecking it. Any one have any ideas

ncbound123
06-11-2015, 03:20 PM
I am not sure if there really is a differance between the rear doors with the patio option and without. You have to consider that the doors are made strong enough to use as a loading ramp and have to be able to support a fairly heavy weight for that purpose. I have read some posts that suggest that loading a heavy dresser bike has left sort of a rut in their doors, but for the most part these doors are well made and souldn't need any beefing up to add the patio parts.

cb1000rider
06-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Right, but what if you don't want to risk it?
Steve, I haven't seen a post of anyone taking a door apart. You could just plate it at the interior... I think they're rated for 2k loading. Not sure why one guy had a problem with a 900 lb wing. If you're not loading a Goldwing or Harley, I wouldnt be too worried.

MontanaMike
06-11-2015, 05:38 PM
When I was buying my Carbon 357 I told the dealer told me that it wasn't just the door that was different but the frame around the door as well. I settled for not having the patio because I didn't want to wait 3 months for a 357 to be ordered from Keystone.

hdrolling
06-12-2015, 05:19 AM
Big difference in price between the standard and reinforced, doesn't specify what the difference's are.

standard:

http://www.trekwood.com/products/329640/Garage-Ramp-Door-93-1-4-x-93-1-4-5500-White

reinforced:

http://www.trekwood.com/products/329652/Garage-Ramp-Door-93-1-4-x-93-1-4-Reinforced-No-Compression-Latches-For-Patio-No-Clip-w-Brackets

notanlines
06-12-2015, 08:23 AM
First of all, search the site and you'll find many, many members who have rigged their doors as patios without having the patio setup originally. The door is supposedly good for 2K or so. Just how many people can you put on 58 square feet? You aren't going to be at a NASCAR race and have 14 of your best 300 pound friends watching the race from this "patio." The family who put the two cables on their ramp and then a seven foot sawhorse with carpet over the top edge seemed to have everything down pat.

spicercars
06-13-2015, 03:58 AM
The big difference is when you are using the door for loading the bottom edge is being supported on the ground. When you use it as a patio you are holding the door up by the corners with a cable and the door needs a lot more strength.

notanlines
06-13-2015, 04:54 AM
The weight of the door and occupants is mainly supported by the "sawhorse configuration" placed about 2/3 of the way out under the door from what I see in the pictures. I see what you are talking about when the cables are placed at the very end of the door and no support in the middle. The idea is to have the support closer to the 2/3 mark.

hdrolling
06-13-2015, 05:54 AM
The weight of the door and occupants is mainly supported by the "sawhorse configuration" placed about 2/3 of the way out under the door from what I see in the pictures. I see what you are talking about when the cables are placed at the very end of the door and no support in the middle. The idea is to have the support closer to the 2/3 mark.

I'd have to worry if the weight of people walking in that area would rub the saw horse against the paint of your door?

steve slade
06-13-2015, 10:12 AM
That's exactly what happened. I laid the back door down on a picnik table at our site for one evening. The flexing of the door rubbed the back door. Didn't notice till I got home. Didn't damage the paint but it wore off the shine. Now I have a very dull area in the middle of the door. Didn't try waxing it yet, hopefully that will bring it back.

Face Down
06-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Wanted to add that I have a Carbon with the patio option and the door has a rating of just 1500 pounds when being supported by the cables. We used the patio for the fist time this weekend and really enjoyed it, it was one of those things that I really did not want but it came with the unit that I bought. Glad that I have it now. ;)