PDA

View Full Version : Campground Washing

UsTwo
06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Just wondering here, if anyone washes their unit when they get set up at a campground.. One of the other couples we camp with will wash his truck and camper just as soon as he can when we get to a campground.
I hand wash at home but have never actually done it at the campgrounds. Now im looking at telescoping washing wands/brushes to do a wash at the campgrounds.. any ideas, what do you use..thanks

chuckster57
06-10-2015, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't think many campgrounds allow that.

I haven't washed anymore than the windshield of my truck while camping. I do wash and make everything shiny before I leave the house.

hankpage
06-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Washing on your site is a big NO-NO at most campgrounds that I have been to. Some have had a coin operated (more like bills than coins) washing station but even that is rare. However, I have managed to wax the rig a little each day during extended stays. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587 Hank

JRTJH
06-10-2015, 01:21 PM
As stated previously, most campgrounds have a posted set of campground rules and most include washing vehicles or campers on the list of "don'ts".

Depending on where we're travelling, if there are a lot of bugs on the front of the trailer, I'll clean them off with a bucket of soapy water and a long handled scrub brush and then a "quick rinse with the hose", but certainly no "washing the entire camper".

If you don't see any rules posted against washing, I'd ask before getting started. Most will tell you it's not permitted. Reasons vary from "making the roads muddy" to "wasting water that we have to pay for"......

HappyCamperMN
06-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Granted, we're occasional / weekend campers not full-timing, but when we're camping one of the LAST things on my list would be to wash the camper... :eek: I'm there to relax and unwind, not doing chores...

KanTC
06-10-2015, 01:34 PM
There's generally "written rules" against washing/cleaning vehicles of any kind - and it's strictly enforced in areas with drought/water restrictions. We've been a few places [larger resort-type] which offer washing/waxing services (for a price, of course), but it's usually traveling full-timers & snow birds who use those services.

We clean the windshield at every fuel stop... but, other than that, our *fancy bug mural* :rolleyes: typically has to stay until we get home. ;)
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

XLite28SGS
06-11-2015, 03:24 AM
Last week we were in a campground in NE North Carolina. As we drove in we saw a sign "Yes - You can wash your rig". Finding this unusual I asked the lady in the office about it. She said yes,they had a good water supply and pointed to a wash kit they sell (bucket, brush, soap etc. $40.00). Also said they had a local young man that would do the wash for a fee.

First time I ever saw this. Most campgrounds if they see a hose out with a nozzel they will remind you of there policy "no rig - tow vic. washing"

By the way I did not wash my rig, buy the kit, or hire the young man.

Have a great day, Allan:)

UsTwo
06-11-2015, 03:46 AM
Just curious. I didn't see any rules against washing in Missouri state parks, which is where we do most our camping.. thanks for the reply's

GaryWT
06-11-2015, 05:49 AM
Interesting but here the state parks do not have water at the sites so not an issue I guess. As others have said no allowed at any place that I have camped plus as Happycamper said, don'y want to spend the first 2-3 hours of a weekend washing the rig. All that aside, I cannot imagine how muddy the site would be after washing and my wife would not be happy as the mud would then track into the trailer.

gearhead
06-11-2015, 05:53 PM
If there are no signs against it, I try to wash the bugs off the front cap.

notanlines
06-12-2015, 02:43 AM
I'm with Gearhead, here. Even if the rules state no washing we still make a quick wash/rinse of the front cap to remove the bugs. We do it quickly, just get the bulk of the dead critters off the trailer and then on to camping. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

hankaye
06-12-2015, 04:53 AM
Howdy All;

Reckon some folks don't care about the possibilities of water restrictions
that may be in place that they may or may not be aware of.
Some municipalities may have restrictions about washing vehicles and the
Park owners would be subject to fines for folks washing their vehicles.
The words Not Allowed generally have some sort of reason behind them.
Besides what kind of example is it to the kids? It's OK to break the rules
some of the time ... when the rule interferes with what I want
to do???
Just my 2¢ (5¢ in Canada).

hankaye

GaryWT
06-12-2015, 06:01 AM
Howdy All;

Reckon some folks don't care about the possibilities of water restrictions
that may be in place that they may or may not be aware of.
Some municipalities may have restrictions about washing vehicles and the
Park owners would be subject to fines for folks washing their vehicles.
The words Not Allowed generally have some sort of reason behind them.
Besides what kind of example is it to the kids? It's OK to break the rules
some of the time ... when the rule interferes with what I want
to do???
Just my 2¢ (5¢ in Canada).

hankaye

I guess no different than if there is a fire ban at the campground. Would they have a fire until caught and then ask for forgiveness? Same thing right?

old timer
06-12-2015, 06:13 AM
I am planing on full timing for about 6 months so I am plaining on washing at a truck stop if thats possible.

Festus2
06-12-2015, 06:57 AM
If there are no signs against it, I try to wash the bugs off the front cap.

notanlines -
Gearhead didn't say that he washes the front cap regardless of the signage or lack of it. He did say that IF there were no posted rules then he would try to wash off the bugs. Seems to me that "seeking permission" is the right thing to do.

x2 what hankaye said.

crash
06-12-2015, 08:58 AM
Wash it and make it all shinny before we leave home ,relax at campground:party::party: Then wash when back home,Thats just the way I roll:D

sourdough
06-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Same here. Wash, polish, get dead tired, leave......and relax. I do have some Cajun friends that ask me to let the bugs build up; they like to wash them off and put them in gumbo with the bird eggs they gather under highway overpasses..... Tastes exceptional.......just don't ask what's in it OR stir the pot:)

Javi
06-12-2015, 05:55 PM
I gave both the pups a bath when we got back from the beach this afternoon... does that count??? :D

Darn sure hope so.. cause I ain't letting them in the trailer with all that sand on them...;)

gearhead
06-13-2015, 07:21 PM
notanlines -
Gearhead didn't say that he washes the front cap regardless of the signage or lack of it. He did say that IF there were no posted rules then he would try to wash off the bugs. Seems to me that "seeking permission" is the right thing to do.

x2 what hankaye said.

If there are posted rules against washing, I won't do it. But if not, I will at least try to get the bugs off the front cap.

theeyres
06-13-2015, 08:36 PM
For short term trips I would never want to take the time. When we full-timed I often washed my fiver in places that prohibited washing by taking out a bucket of water and sponge and wiping down the fiver. Never had a problem doing it that way. Sort of a dry washing technique. The parks concerns are use of water and making a mess. They never seemed to object to a spit bath, of sorts.

notanlines
06-14-2015, 03:48 AM
I stand duly chastised. Rest assured I read all that was said. The only thing I'll say is that no, I wouldn't rinse a few bugs off in front of my grandchildren, heaven forbid. And I wouldn't rinse the bugs off in an area of water restrictions. I guess this is the one time that the other members here have discovered my major weakness: If I ever camped for a few days in an RV park that had a rule of no washing, assuming I had a large number of the critters dead on the front of my trailer, then I am going to wash them off there. I have never done so because the situation has not arisen. But now y'all know what a dastardly individual I could be.

ChuckS
06-14-2015, 06:28 AM
I also do the bucket thing.. I find I can take a wet rag and wipe truck and dry immediately working small areas at a time and keep truck clean with no water mess.. I also dip my scrub brush with extension pole in bucket of water and clean bugs off front of fiver.. Work small section at a time and use another extension pole with silicone squeegee and remove water.. It's not perfect but it gets most off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jsmith948
06-14-2015, 12:54 PM
And, after I finish cleaning my trailer with good ole' waterless aircraft cleaner I take my air compressor and blow the dust out of all the Robertson screw heads!:D

cathcartww
06-14-2015, 04:43 PM
I have used this stuff http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Optimum-Rinse-Wash-Shine/dp/B000E9TS6O with good success - just a little in a bucket of water, or, for a smaller job like bugs on the front, a couple ounces with water in a spray bottle and a rag works well .....

Alpine
08-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Full timers here going on two and half years...we have found approximately 90% of the places stayed do not allow washing. About 5% of the places want a fee of $10.00 for tow vehicle and RV. After asking at the $10.00 places they usually say go ahead and don't charge. They want you to have a nozzle on the end of your hose as opposed to letting the water run freely!

Most all will let motorhomes wash their windshield, and in turn let you wash the cap of your fifth wheel.