PDA

View Full Version : Accident...ALMOST

bsmith0404
06-09-2015, 05:49 AM
While driving across OK last week I was coming up behind a 5th wheel. Suddenly it started fishtailing all over the road. After about 6 or 7 big sways it settled down. I have never seen a trailer sway that far without losing control. As I pulled along side I saw that it was an older 5th wheel, about 30' being towed by an F150 that was obviously overloaded based on the amount of sag over the rear tires. The older gentlemen driving was still looking like he was in shock, white knuckles, wide eyes, way up on the steering wheel, and probably sitting in something. It even scared me as I started checking my mirrors expecting to have to come to a stop on a major interstate with traffic traveling near 80 mph.

I don't know what triggered the sway, we were traveling down a very nice straight piece of interstate. I can only assume a more capable TV for the size of trailer would have kept things in check. I'm still amazed that he saved it.

For anyone thinking of towing overloaded, PLEASE reconsider, it is no joke when the tail begins to wag the dog!

I need to check my dash cam to see if I still have the footage. If I do, I will post it.

C130
06-09-2015, 06:29 AM
We are currently staying at Catherine's Landing in Hot Springs, AR. I've never seen so many large, new, very nice 5th wheels at any one place and most all being towed by DRW trucks. I've seen more F450's here in this RV park than I've seen total everywhere else. There are definitely a few large 5th wheels being towed by SRW trucks but overall pretty impressed by the tow vehicles. At 35 feet, I have one of the smallest 5th wheels here by quite a bit. As all the DRW drivers can agree, there's just no comparison between towing with a DRW truck and a SRW truck.

There are lots of huge motor homes here also and the average age of the drivers is way up there. Lots of huge tandem axle motor homes which just got me to thinking about the drivers and how really there is not much regulation on these huge vehicles.

I did see, or more like heard, something pretty scary on the drive up from Texas. We were on highway 59 and heard a very loud bang that scared all of us. It was an 18 wheeler northbound on 59 that had a blowout. I heard it, then saw smoke coming from the 18 wheeler so assume it was a blowout. I couldn't believe how loud it was and it was and the two northbound lanes were divided quite a bit.

We leave tomorrow for East Tennessee and while I don't care for my truck payment, I'm sure glad I traded my F250 for a DRW truck. It really makes the trips more relaxing and pleasurable, but more importantly I think safer.

Face Down
06-09-2015, 09:30 AM
I heard it, then saw smoke coming from the 18 wheeler so assume it was a blowout. I couldn't believe how loud it was and it was and the two northbound lanes were divided quite a bit.

I have had blowouts sound like a shotgun round. 85 PSI all relieved at once ain't no joke...

JRTJH
06-09-2015, 11:19 AM
There was a "tire mounter" installing a truck tire on a split rim several years ago, the rim separated as he was airing it up, it killed him and put the mechanic behind him in the hospital for several days. Like facedown said, "85 PSI all relieved at once ain't no joke..."

We routinely stand (or kneel) in front of our "China bombs" airing them to 80 PSI and in front of our "G rated tires" airing them to 110 PSI. I don't think standing beside them rather than in front of them would be an improvement from a safety standpoint, but being aware of the potential danger (if the tire is defective and the defect not noticed on inspection) goes without saying.

gearhead
06-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Yep I had a 18 wheeler blow a tire next to me on my way to work one morning. I would equate it to a Navy 5inch38 going off, from a couple decks below. No problem staying awake after that.

x96mnn
06-09-2015, 01:02 PM
While driving across OK last week I was coming up behind a 5th wheel. Suddenly it started fishtailing all over the road. After about 6 or 7 big sways it settled down. I have never seen a trailer sway that far without losing control. As I pulled along side I saw that it was an older 5th wheel, about 30' being towed by an F150 that was obviously overloaded based on the amount of sag over the rear tires. The older gentlemen driving was still looking like he was in shock, white knuckles, wide eyes, way up on the steering wheel, and probably sitting in something. It even scared me as I started checking my mirrors expecting to have to come to a stop on a major interstate with traffic traveling near 80 mph.

I don't know what triggered the sway, we were traveling down a very nice straight piece of interstate. I can only assume a more capable TV for the size of trailer would have kept things in check. I'm still amazed that he saved it.

For anyone thinking of towing overloaded, PLEASE reconsider, it is no joke when the tail begins to wag the dog!

I need to check my dash cam to see if I still have the footage. If I do, I will post it.

Bet you if you ask him how it goes he would say, "it tows great, been hauling with it for x years and no problems at all"

440justin
06-09-2015, 02:15 PM
It is OK!....I am sure he does not tow it more than a few hours from home and mostly on the flats with no hills! [emoji1] [emoji106]

Murphsmom
06-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what do DRW and SRW stand for? I thought I knew most of the acronyms, but I guess I don't. Thanks.

440justin
06-09-2015, 02:26 PM
SRW = Single rear wheel and DRW = Dual rear wheel (dually)

bsmith0404
06-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Wish I would have caught the plate to see where he was from. I really thought he was going to go over. It was a beautiful clear, calm day. I can only imagine what that thing must be like in the wind or if he ever had a blowout. I just felt like it was a ticking time bomb/accident waiting to happen. I'll be honest, following him scared the $!#% out of me.

Murphsmom
06-09-2015, 07:04 PM
SRW = Single rear wheel and DRW = Dual rear wheel (dually)

Thanks! Don't know why I couldn't figure that one out.

dwayneb236
06-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Yep I had a 18 wheeler blow a tire next to me on my way to work one morning. I would equate it to a Navy 5inch38 going off, from a couple decks below. No problem staying awake after that.

Same thing happened to my wife and I. Right beside it when it blew. Scared the "you know what out" of us. It was very loud and very sudden.

Ken / Claudia
06-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Since our home is a mile or so from I 205 we can hear a tire blow once and awhile. My wife says was that a gun shot, no another tire blew on the freeway. Yea, I have seen some blow and been near a few. In about 1990 a co worker was putting out a brake fire on a 18 wheeler and the tire blew up. the blast was taken at his chest thank god. His bullet proof vest saved his life, not much left of his uniform shirt.

Jlwright
06-16-2015, 12:05 PM
When I was very young I was moving my little family from Arizona back to Arkansas. I was pulling a Uhaul tandem axle trailer with a 1962 Falcon. The hitch was clamped to the rear bumper of the car. Of course the trailer was loaded with everything we owned. I was on the Turnpike between Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Everything was going smoothly until a semi passed me doing about 80. I was going about 55. The car and trailer started to fishtail. I was spinning the steering wheel in the opposite direction as fast as I could trying to stop the sway but ended up clear out in the median before it all settled down. The semi even pulled over to make sure I was OK. Scared the life out of me and my wife and the toddler slept through the whole ordeal. I still don't know how the trailer and or the car didn't roll. Needless to say I got a life lesson about overloaded trailers and the vehicle that pulls them.

B-O-B'03
07-03-2015, 09:58 AM

I was driving to Louisiana, with my grandson and we were behind a semi... a guy on a motorcycle had just passed us and was on the left side of the semi, right at the wheels of the trailer when the outboard right tire blew.

It sounded like a canon shot, the guy on the bike just about lost it and I am betting had to change his shorts at the next stop.

-Brian

hankaye
07-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Howdy All;

All I gots is watch this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqw4ZooBzLw

hankaye

jsmith948
07-04-2015, 04:20 AM
Hankaye,
I agree with where you are coming from.
When I drove OTR, I had a few tires on my big rig 'come apart' at highway speeds. I have had cars ride alongside my rig's wheels for miles. A 24.5" steel radial truck tire, inflated to 105psi, will tear things up when it comes apart. When passing a truck, don't ride for miles next to those wheels! Just sayin':)