PDA

View Full Version : Charging Batteries

Rudney
06-08-2015, 02:32 PM
My wife and I recently downsized to a condo (more time for camping), so need to park our trailer in a storage lot now. In the past I would always charge my batteries before a trip, but as this is no longer as convenient I am wondering how much a battery will charge while towing, and whether this would be sufficient charging between trips. I have 2 batteries on a Keystone Bullet 210RUD.

Voyager
06-08-2015, 03:39 PM
You should think about a small solar panel to keep the battery charged up, leaving them to sit between trips is hard on them, I have one from Canadian Tire that I have in my garage window, it's hooked to a battery I use for my 12v hooka dive system, I've used it for several years works like a charm. On my Springdale 267 I have a 160w panel on the roof, it's parked in my driveway and never gets plugged in.

Stew
06-11-2015, 08:13 AM
^^^^^^^ but do the batteries charge while towing???

cw3jason
06-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Yes provided your truck has the fuse and relay installed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hankpage
06-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Yes. .... With factory tow package, your Dodge will charge the battery. (depending on the length of the trip, of course) Fords or GM may need a fuse or relay usually supplied by them but not installed.

GMcKenzie
06-11-2015, 10:52 AM
As others have noted, yes your truck will charge the batteries. But whether this is adequate charging or not will depend on how far you are going. I don't know specific amperage, and it will vary by vehicle, but a 1/2 hour tow won't do much for your battery charge. A full day towing will do lots. So it depends on what you are doing.

bmach
06-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Yes truck will charge your battery. How about this idea take the battery home with you and take care of there. Just don't forget to bring it with you when go to the trailer. Then you don't have to worry about it bp going missing.

Stew
06-14-2015, 10:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^yep

Shadowcats
06-14-2015, 02:32 PM
I leave my TT in the yard during the winter...a 100 watt solar panel provides all the charge my batteries need. When off grid, it does the same thing. Yes, when you hook up, your vehicle does charge the batteries, but with a solar panel the batteries are always up and ready. One of the most important things is to always check the fluid level, and the connections...helps keep them up and insures a longer life. Happy camping.

B-O-B'03
06-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Yes. .... With factory tow package, your Dodge will charge the battery. (depending on the length of the trip, of course) Fords or GM may need a fuse or relay usually supplied by them but not installed.

This!

I wondered why the TV was not charging the batteries and investigation revealed both the fuse and relay, for camper charging circuit were missing from the power distribution box... I found them in a plastic bag in the glove box.

Guess if the truck did not have the towing package I would have needed to buy them separately :confused:

-Brian