PDA

View Full Version : chock recommendations..please

break80
03-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I have a new 2010 Cougar 30BHS. I was looking at the types of chocks that slide in from the top and down into between both tires, some of which have a lock. What is the best brands? or should I stick with a more basic type.

Any response is appreciated.

THedges
03-15-2011, 11:45 AM
I have been checking on the same thing and have decided to go with the X-Chock Tire Locking Chock by BAL. The common thing I am hearing is that they stop most of the front to back movement.

I haven't bought them yet, but will post after trying them out.

Handysam
03-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Yes, the "X-chocks" from BAL are great, just used them over the weekend for the third time and makes a HUGE difference in movement. But I would also note that I use blocks under the tires as well, that's the very first thing I do after parking the unit. Those alone do not help in front to back movement. The x-chocks go on after I have leveled and before the slides go out. Happy Camping, Sam

THedges
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM
I was wondering if it would be bad to lock those in before leveling. Thanks

GMcKenzie
03-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Obviously you need to level side to side first, but I've had no issues putting the x-chock in before the trailer is leveled front to back. They go in before I unhook.

I do like mine.

break80
03-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks..I'll check out the BAL products. I always have some blocks of wood, and it makes sense to have a backup.

THedges
03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
I ordered the 2 pack of the X-Chocks last night on Amazon. They were over $20 cheaper than anywhere else I could find and came with free shipping/no tax.

trooper253
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I bought a set off ebay form ecwlocks. They were custom made from the measuraments I sent in and work very well. They also were much cheaper than others I found on the internet.

chuck&gail
03-16-2011, 08:24 PM
IMHO you can not beat Rotochoks. Google them.

Sparrow5181
03-17-2011, 02:58 AM
We bought a 2011 Passport last year, it has the wide spacing between the axles.We have been using standard chocks that fit up to the tires & the pad but they have not been effective in reducing movement in the trailer while in use. We were reading this thread and remembered that a chocking solution was in order before we start camping this summer. Found the extended X-Chock from BAL and ordered last evening. I will let you know how they work.

KanTC
03-17-2011, 09:04 AM
More posts found here:

"BAL 28010 X-Chock Tire Locking Chock" in the 'Lite Weight Trailers' section
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1914

"X-Chock tire lock question?" in the 'Keystone Questions' section
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2005

Search the forum, using the word 'X-chock' or 'chock'... there are a few more comments about them.

Hope this helps!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot [& DH Kevin] :)

Bowline
03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
I have been using the Bal X Chocs for the past 2 weeks on an extended trip. I have wide spacing between the tires. All I can say is they work great! They virtually eliminated front to back movement.

THedges
03-20-2011, 05:57 AM
I used my X-Chocks for the first time yesterday and I am impressed how well they worked!

W.E.BGood
03-25-2011, 06:30 AM
After much contemplation, I decided to stay with the "basic" stuff-sumthin'-under-the-tires concept and got 2 sets of these:

http://www.chocks.com/product.php?sn=1416 007 22

I put them at the tires between the axles. Once I'm in our spot and/or up on leveling planks, the DW stuffs one in front of the "downhill" tires on each side, I pull (or push as the case may be) forward or "uphill" to lock them under the tires, she puts the second ones behind the "uphill" tires, I release the brakes slowly and let them settle-in.

They're light weight at 5 lbs a pair and impervious to the elements. Oh, and you can't miss 'em and leave 'em behind. Just another option.

I also considered these but they're currently on BO.

http://www.chocks.com/product.php?sn=1236 107 02

Regards, BGood

fairhaven
03-26-2011, 05:56 PM
I have used the BAL chocks for a year. They did eliminate some of the movement of my trailer but certainly not all. After 2 trips using the chocks I was still not happy with the movement inside the trailer. So, I installed a some SteadyFast stablizers and now I am quite happy. The SteadyFast stablizers and BAL chocks have eliminated all but the slightest movement in my trailer.