PDA

View Full Version : 30RKDS 110v Receptacles to 110v +USB

ErraticAKn
06-06-2015, 09:40 AM
I wanted to add USB outlets to the trailer and figured the easiest and cleanest would be to upgrade the 110v receptacles to ones that included USB outlets.

Hardest part was finding outlets with wings that hold the receptacle in place against the wall panel. I had no luck but did find this item at the hardware store that I could cut the ends off and use as wings that worked perfectly in holding the receptacle against the wall panel.

I'm sure there are products out there for that purpose however I did not see them, nor did the hardware staff know of anything.

I will say that if you add USB to the outlets make sure you know what the amps will be. USB amperage below 2.0 won't usually be enough to charge your devices. 2.0, 2,1 are common. I went with 3.1 which is the higher end for phones and tablets. These were made by Leviton and bought at Home Depot.

The bedroom outlets were replaced with the single 110 and 2 USB - the living room was changed to Double outlets and double USB.

Sprinter274
06-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Hey erratic, Im looking to add usb as well however, im guessing that those usb only work if the outlet has power via sure power or generator correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Seabee
06-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Very nice clean upgrade. Well done Sir.

SkiSmuggs
06-09-2015, 05:54 AM
I just use the 12v outlets. USB chargers for them are easy to find and use.

GMcKenzie
06-09-2015, 09:32 AM
How hard would it be to wire in a 12V USB outlet? I'm thinking in the bedroom where I don't have a 12V outlet?

Or just easier to add a normal 12V outlet and use the adapter?

Edit: Looks about as hard to do one as the other, pretty easy.

Sprinter274
06-09-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm about to add a few 12v and usb's myself...hey GMc, if your bedroom is at the front like mine, the batteries are close enough for you to run a pair of wires easily OR you can possibly get power from your lights

SkiSmuggs
06-09-2015, 01:42 PM
How hard would it be to wire in a 12V USB outlet? I'm thinking in the bedroom where I don't have a 12V outlet?

Or just easier to add a normal 12V outlet and use the adapter?

Edit: Looks about as hard to do one as the other, pretty easy.

It will be the same. I am still trying to find a path to the closet at the front of my fiver. Meanwhile, I pigtailed off the reading light wires.

rwjejits
06-09-2015, 03:24 PM
I wanted to add USB outlets to the trailer and figured the easiest and cleanest would be to upgrade the 110v receptacles to ones that included USB outlets.

Hardest part was finding outlets with wings that hold the receptacle in place against the wall panel. I had no luck but did find this item at the hardware store that I could cut the ends off and use as wings that worked perfectly in holding the receptacle against the wall panel.

I'm sure there are products out there for that purpose however I did not see them, nor did the hardware staff know of anything.

I will say that if you add USB to the outlets make sure you know what the amps will be. USB amperage below 2.0 won't usually be enough to charge your devices. 2.0, 2,1 are common. I went with 3.1 which is the higher end for phones and tablets. These were made by Leviton and bought at Home Depot.

The bedroom outlets were replaced with the single 110 and 2 USB - the living room was changed to Double outlets and double USB.

You don't happen to remember the part# for the outlet you chose, do you?

Sprinter274
06-09-2015, 03:44 PM
They are easy enough to find at HD or Lowes...http://m.homedepot.com/s/usb%20outlet?searchtype=suggest&NCNI-5