PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Stupid me

canadianboy
06-05-2015, 06:07 AM
hooked up my battery wrong when getting it from storage, blew the reverse polarity fuse, Replaced it and the fridge wont do anything and the radio does not work, any suggestions???

Thanks

therink
06-05-2015, 06:12 AM
Did you check the main 12v fuse on the converter? Does any 12 volt items work, lights, etc?

Face Down
06-05-2015, 06:22 AM
Did you check the main 12v fuse on the converter? Does any 12 volt items work, lights, etc?

Or individual fuses in the main panel?

JRTJH
06-05-2015, 06:51 AM
You say, "Blew the reverse polarity fuse, replace it" There are two reverse polarity fuses, Did you replace BOTH of them? If not, that may be your problem. Otherwise:

The radio has an "in line" fuse in the power wire located behind it. You'll need to remove the shroud around the radio, under it you'll find 4 screws that hold it in place. Remove the screws, pull the radio out of its mount and you'll find the fuse holder (probably on the red wire).

The refrigerator has two "glass cartridge" fuses located under the black cover that's located outside your RV, behind the lower refrigerator vent. Remove the black cover, replace the fuses and try again.

Hopefully replacing these fuses will get you "up and running" again.

Good Luck

W.E.BGood
06-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Been there...done that :banghead: Can't help with the fridge, but my radio had a separate in-line buss fuse that also had to be replaced. I had to pull the radio out of it's plastic mounting housing to access it.

canadianboy
06-05-2015, 07:12 AM
You say, "Blew the reverse polarity fuse, replace it" There are two reverse polarity fuses, Did you replace BOTH of them? If not, that may be your problem. Otherwise:

The radio has an "in line" fuse in the power wire located behind it. You'll need to remove the shroud around the radio, under it you'll find 4 screws that hold it in place. Remove the screws, pull the radio out of its mount and you'll find the fuse holder (probably on the red wire).

The refrigerator has two "glass cartridge" fuses located under the black cover that's located outside your RV, behind the lower refrigerator vent. Remove the black cover, replace the fuses and try again.

Hopefully replacing these fuses will get you "up and running" again.

Good Luck

I did replace the 2 40 amp fuses, I guess I never knew about the ones outside for the refrig.. thanks

zuley
06-05-2015, 12:33 PM
I've done the same not once but twice. And to top it off I'm in the automotive business. I digress. Don't know what model of fridge you have. Mine is an Attwood. On the back side is a black plastic cover which you access through the outside of the camper. Inside of that cover is a barrel fuse that pops when we do the unthinkable, hooking the battery up wrong. I've now installed a battery disconnect to prevent doing doing so again.

BadDogWillie
06-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Yea u blew the protection fuse on your converter box. I think there are 2 in there. Open up and fuses can be replaced. I have done it three times.

Bad Dog Willie

MarkS
06-07-2015, 05:25 AM
I did it once on a previous trailer. It blew the converter.

Dang white/black vs red/black confusion.

audio1der
06-09-2015, 09:27 PM
I did this once too. There are a pair of micro fuses on the back of the radio you'll need to replace. Just remove the screw on each of the corners of the face which hold it into the cabinet, pull out, turn around and voila!
Once you replace the fuses & reinstall, go label either of the power wires with some painters tape and a sharpie so it doesn't happen again :p

bsmith0404
06-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Seems like a lot of people have done this, even more than once. Might be a good idea to get some colored electrical tape and code your battery cables to help you remember. I hook up batteries to a different trailer almost weekly and always have to stop and think about it. I remember which is which by looking for the inline fuse on the battery cable, but color coding the ones on your own RV would be an easy reminder.

cb1000rider
06-10-2015, 06:30 AM
You can also get colored heat shrink, which may last longer than tape.
I *believe* the dealer does the battery installs.. At least they did on my trailer.

bsmith0404
06-10-2015, 08:11 AM
The dealer installs the battery, but that is all they do. The wiring is already in place. As a transporter we have to carry a battery with us and install them when we hook up for the brakes to work.