PDA

View Full Version : Battery disconnect (simple toggle switch?)

Anson9110
06-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Hi, summer has finally began and so have the questions! Just kidding... I think I've already had most questions answered last year HOWEVER....
I want to install a battery disconnect switch (should be totally and completely straightforward) however with my batteries tied in series/parallel finding the right spot to install it is escaping me. Can I just install a heavy duty toggle switch on the positive wire coming from the camper to the battery? I'm not referring to all of the marine ones seen on amazon that tie into the heaver battery cables themselves....rather just cut into the thin (positive) wire running from the camper itself to the battery? I can't seem to find this question anywhere else. Hope it's not a dumb one... Thanks very much for any advice...Anson.

Mynticelx
06-04-2015, 07:01 PM
My battery switch was a pretty easy install. Essentially, I just bought a battery switch off amazon and drilled a hole in the plastic cover of the battery box, then installed the switch between the positive on the battery and the main wire heading to the camper. Used to sealant to make it weatherproof and done. Now, I just switch the battery switch off on the top of the cover before I leave it at storage. Super simple and non-intrusive to the main wiring of the camper.

PerryB
06-04-2015, 07:17 PM
The thin wire you refer to is the constant hot which powers the detectors and the radio memory/clock keep alive. It circumnavigates the factory installed disconnect. Putting a heavy duty toggle switch on this wire, in conjunction with the factory switch should shut down all power to the coach. Personally, I installed a heavy duty disconnect switch on the ground cable so I didn't have to operate two switches in different locations.

old timer
06-05-2015, 04:30 AM
If you do a battery disconnect it should go on the always go on the ground wire. Its the safe side of the battery.

GMcKenzie
06-05-2015, 10:49 AM
If you do a battery disconnect it should go on the always go on the ground wire. Its the safe side of the battery.

THis is what I've done. I like the fact that my electric jack won't work so I know the switch is off when I go to hook up. Otherwise I might forget it's off and head out with the battery off.

cb1000rider
06-05-2015, 11:10 AM

I was about to ask what made it the safe side - but it's that if you actually ground a ground wire, it's no big deal. Grounding a hot wire is a big deal.

Not that there are true "switch" options for the high amp stuff - using a solenoid. Personally, I'd be inclined to tie them all together if you're still getting parasitic draw from the various detectors.

Having everything ready on a toggle switch is very convenient, but it is another electronic component to fail.

Festus2
06-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Having everything ready on a toggle switch is very convenient, but it is another electronic component to fail.

Most battery cut off switches (blade, rotational or toggle) no matter where they are mounted - on the + or - side are mechanical and not really "sensitive" or likely to fail.

Anson9110
06-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input! I appreciate you taking the time... I feel more confident now about installing the toggle switch. Out of all the crap I've done it should have been the most straightforward but I really didn't want to mess up the electrical by accident. I'm sure there are many people here who can relate to trying to do the most basic task while completely covered in MOSQUITOS!!! I'm surprised I was able to tie my shoes let alone mess around with battery cables... Thanks again to all..