PDA

View Full Version : Changing Cougar 292 wheel diameter

Sulphur1
06-04-2015, 04:59 AM
Hi all,
A friend has bought my 200 Chev Dually that has 16" wheels. He would like to change the 15" ones on his Cougar 292 to the same dia so less spare to carry.
Can the Cougar Alko electric brake drum assembly be changed to suit the 8 stud K3500 Chevy?
Where could these be purchased if mod possible?
Cheers
Jon

JRTJH
06-04-2015, 06:32 AM
Your friend would need to change the entire axle assemblies to get 8 lug hubs. Then, the hubs may not be the same pattern or diameter, so his Chevy wheels may not fit. Additionally, trailer axles use wheels with 0 degree wheel offset. Most automobiles/trucks use wheels with an offset, usually in the 16 degree range.... This would mean you'll probably have some clearance problems trying to install a truck wheel in the wheelwell of the trailer, even if the lug pattern is the same.

It probably would be very expensive to even attempt a modification like this and in the end, the truck wheel would likely not clear the trailer wheelwell.

I'd say it's best to leave it alone and find a place for the trailer spare. Possibly something like the "BAL Hide-A-Spare"... http://norcoind.com/bal/products/consumer/specialty_products/hide-a-spare.shtml

PerryB
06-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Everything posted above plus...... I'm pretty sure the 8 lug trailer wheels are on the older 8 on 6.5" pattern. The truck is most likely 8 on 175mm.

Sulphur1
06-06-2015, 02:05 AM
Thanks for your advice - I'll pass it on.
Cheers
Jon

Face Down
06-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Also....dually wheels are quite different than trailer wheels and for that matter normal truck wheels.