PDA

View Full Version : Possible NTU TV. Is this crazy?

ColoradoSooner
06-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Okay, not surprisingly, soon after we purchased our Passport, the talk of a new TV started.

The plan was to look around for a used 3/4 ton. Then my husband saw THIS:

2007 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4 Flatbed Duramax (http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5052050386.html)

He fell and fell hard.

Yes, it is WAY more truck than we need but he is absolutely in love. He's always wanted a flatbed (for some reason) and he thinks this thing is beautiful.

From the research he's done, it looks like the Duramax LBZ is a great engine. But we've never owned a diesel before and I'm nervous about the upkeep and the cost to repair if it breaks.

Plus, it has SO many miles on it. Although I guess with diesel, that's less of an issue than gas.

Anyway, he is absolutely ready to buy it. So I wanted to get some feedback from those who have more experience with these things to see if I need to have him committed. :D

If not, please let us know what things we should ask/look for when we look at it.

Festus2
06-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Anyway, he is absolutely ready to buy it. So I wanted to get some feedback from those who have more experience with these things to see if I need to have him committed. :D

Your husband, like the rest of us who crave for diesel truck upgrades, is crazy. I'd have him committed asap. :D

Save your marriage and talk him into looking at some other tow vehicle ........ diesel of course.

gkainz
06-02-2015, 11:22 AM
If it was me (and last fall, it WAS me) ... I would search for a lower mileage TV... My '97 Ram Cummins had just over 200,000 miles and my dear wife wanted something that looked nicer (ok, her words were "something that doesn't embarrass me") :) So, I found an '07 Ram Cummins with less than 100,000 miles that should be good for us for another 10 years of towing, I hope.

hankpage
06-02-2015, 11:31 AM
From the photo it looks like there is a flip over hitch or ball in the bed to tow that new fifth-wheel I see in your future. :eek: "bouncey:

sw342
06-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Its not even a dually. I bet that heavy flat bed is taking up a good chunk of the payload on that truck. The 2008's and earlier 3500's were not exactly know for their payload numbers. They are nothing like what these new trucks can haul today.

Another thing to consider is the flat bed. Does that put you into a commercial category in your state. Usually once you put a flat bed or utility bed on the truck it is no longer considered a "pickup".

Seabee
06-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Crazy? Maybe. But what more could you ask for? After all, you married him. :D

notanlines
06-02-2015, 12:11 PM
I thought the deal was "okay" until SW made a point of noting it was not a dually. The bed appears to have been built for a dually, or maybe just looks like that from the angle. I say it is a deal buster, not being a dually. Not much payload back in those days compared to now.

JRTJH
06-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Diesel??? HECK YES !!! 194,000 miles? HECK NO !!!!!!!!!! The engine may have a lot of life left in it (depending on how it's been cared for) the transmission? Probably good for a while yet, but you've got to remember that everything else on that truck is the same as a gas truck. Brakes, bearings, driveline, steering, suspension are all "nearing their terminal age"...

I've got a friend with a diesel pusher motor home. He just blew a cylinder and the $8600 motor is being trucked to the dealership. Cost to install it will be additional. He's looking at close to $10,000 by the time he gets it back on the road. The reason I mention his misfortune is because diesels aren't cheap to repair. They do last a long time, but they aren't "bullet-proof", just "durable".......

It's priced right, but you've got to ask why it's $5000 below what he says all the rest like it are selling for. I'd steer clear. Especially if it's your first diesel and you're not familiar with maintaining a diesel (unless your brother in law is a diesel mechanic)... It sounds "too good to be true" so it likely is...........

ColoradoSooner
06-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Thank you!

Read your comments to my hubby and it all made sense to him. I think the spell has been broken!

We're going to look at trucks with less miles instead. I feel so relieved! (tx)

KanTC
06-02-2015, 08:19 PM
ColoradoSooner,

I agree with the others --that's a lot of miles-- and will offer this for "future shopping" reference (& comparison):

We have a 2006 Duramax with the LBZ engine (purchased new, used as a daily driver and/or grocery-getter, and
also as a cross-country tow vehicle, year after year... in other words - we drive it!!), and it has just under
122,000 miles. Ours was purchased in "March 2006", off the lot, so the LBZ was also available in "early" 2006
[& throughout the 2006 model year]. The ad has an error (typo?) in that respect..... just an FYI, (for reference) if
you plan to shop for the LBZ. ;)

AD: "...The LBZ engine <snip> came out in late 2006 <snip>..."

Hope this helps, and happy shopping.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

bsmith0404
06-06-2015, 08:34 PM
The add has been removed so I couldn't see the truck. Based other comments, it sounds like you made the right choice to not buy.

Just some thoughts about the cost of a diesel engine since you are worried about the potential repairs. Yes they are expensive, in the neighborhood of $8k. What most people don't realize is that a replacement gas V8 is now in the neighborhood of $5k. We are so used to the good old days when you could do a half way decent rebuild on a small block chevy for $500 and build a pretty good performance motor for $1500-2000. For the most part those days are long gone. I just rebuilt the engine in my son's Jeep. The 4.0 jeep motor has been around for years, I thought it would be a cheap rebuild. $2k later it was done. I did everything except the machine work myself. Would have easily been over $3k if I had it done by someone else and over $4k to buy a new motor. I could have bought a used one with 100k miles for $1k