PDA

View Full Version : why would they put it there ????

rich a
06-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Just got back from our shake down trip on our new to us 2011 cougar high country. All went well except draining the 2nd gray water tank. The handle is between the two axles and back into the spring area. Very hard to find and reach for this old man with bad shoulders, knees and back. Has anyone monified this arrangement and how. Looks like you could just put in a new gate valve towards the front where the other 2 are located. Your ideas please. rich

cblong
06-01-2015, 07:09 PM
You could put in a remote valve I think the company that makes it is called valterra ez valve. Then it would be remote and you could put a switch near your other handles. There are also other people on this site that have made extended handles to make it easier to reach. A forum search should turn something up.

theeyres
06-01-2015, 07:57 PM
I'm not familiar with your setup but my Hideout has two gray tanks, each with their own valve so I had to always have awkward sewer lines tied together with a V. I finally ran a sewer line from one to the other so they both drain through the main valve. Works like a champ. Sounds sort of like what you are talking about. It has the added advantage of the sink, shower and vanity all equalizing as though there was only one tank.

PerryB
06-02-2015, 05:02 AM
You can get valves with an extended cable that allows you to mount the handle in a more convenient location or an electrically operated valve controlled by a switch. Personally, I would probably go with the electric, but I already have cable remotes from the factory.

Campy
06-02-2015, 08:34 AM
The Coachman 5th wheel I use to have was like that in the placement of the valves. I bought all new black pipe and fittings and revamped the whole system from the valves out. I also got the final connection higher than 11 inches from the road!! Cost was minimal and took me about half a day, hard part was dropping the belly skin.
If you have room you could cut and add a valve closer to the main line and just leave the other valve open.

RdRmr
06-02-2015, 04:55 PM
rich a
That mod can be done, have debated on doing it myself. Somewhere in the forums here there are pictures of it being done. The galley drain line is cut just before it attaches to the main drain and a valve installed there, now it is in front of the front axle and easy to access. Just open the valve between the wheels and forget about it and use the new one. Happy Campin....

bigbluthundr
06-03-2015, 10:58 AM
I have been also considering the Valterra add on valve and just adding it to the final outlet and leaving that VERY STUPID grey valve open. I would loose the cleaning action of the grey after black - BUT - with the shower etc after the black and being able to run a flush would probably clean it up OK.

I did this when the BLACK water valve jammed open on my last Cougar and the control rod broke way in towards the valve and I just did not want to take that ugly thing apart.

Worked well for the last two yeas I owned it - you just had to MAKE SURE that the valve was CLOSED before you took the cap off to hook up the hose.

Possibly THE # one bonehead placement of a valve of all time. It sure gets my IDIOT award.

bbt

hankaye
06-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Howdy All;

There may be quite a few reasons as to why things end-up where they do
on our beloved keystones... I think :confused: that probably the chunk of pipe they
were using stopped there so the guy/gal on the line put the blade valve
there then finished the run to the wey without having to utilize one of those
costly union thingies (ya know the Bosses don't like unions, right?), :banghead:
Besides The installers ain't the ones what have to operate it on the
occasion it needs be worked. Right?
Just my thoughts on the subject. Don't like it where it is , move it ... ;)

hankaye

ReadyToRoll
06-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Feel your pain. lol Mine is located in the same place but can be easily reached when the slide is in. With the slide out, it's like you say, have to almost low crawl under the slide to reach it. Yes, a modified poll with a hook looks in order.

RedRover
06-08-2015, 09:56 PM
My galley tank valve is in an awkward position under the trailer. I made a tool to help me "reach" the T handle valve while standing beside the trailer. I cut the head off of an old golf club and replaced it with a 6 inch carriage bolt, bent into a "J" shape and epoxied inside the shaft. Works for me!

bsmith0404
06-09-2015, 05:23 AM
If you modify the handle, just keep it as short as possible or support it somehow. Longer handles tend to break off, especially if you every get into cold weather where snow or ice could build up.

Most luxury RVs have all of the valves in a waterworks station. They use cables to actuate the valves. You can buy a 120" cable/t-handle for about $35 and relocate your handle to a more convenient location. Here is a link to one, others are available.

http://www.adventurerv.net/valterra-waste-valve-replacement-cable-120-p-32487.html?gclid=CKOg0PbZgsYCFQYuaQod9hYAcw&utm_campaign=partsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle