PDA

View Full Version : What Brand Tires

Bob Landry
03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Will someone tell me what brand tires comes on the new Outbacks?

Thanks

KanTC
03-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Bob,

If your Outback has 15" tires, it will probably be "Power King, Tow Max STR" tires (as shown on this 2011 Outback photo link). Same brand tires that came on our Laredo.

http://www.rvusa.com/dealer_management/includes/inventory_picture.asp?id=741379&picture=4

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Bob Landry
03-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Not familiar with the brand. Are they Bejing Specials?

hankpage
03-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Not familiar with the brand. Are they Bejing Specials?

Last time I checked, all ST tires with the exception of some new Marithons were from Asia. With all the problems reported some other tire makers may have started making them here again also. ... but I doubt it. :mad:

chuck&gail
03-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Mine came with USA made Marathons, as part of the purchase deal was NO Chinese tires.

Note Maxxis tires have great reviews, they are made in Thailand, not China. I had them on our last TT and they were great.

ktmracer
03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
It probably varies, but our outback came with the Power King Towmasters. From what I've seen they are better than many of the "china bombs", but certainly not the quality of Maxxis. One good thing, is that my trailer came with 225/75-15 LRD which is good for 10,000+lbs, while the trailer is rated at 8600, which would put about 8000 on the axles, at least some margin. A big change from past days, the new regs on trailer axle and tire requirements are forcing mfg to make sure the tires and axles are rated for at least GVWR less unloaded hitch weight. That wasn't the case a few years ago. Two older trailers in our RV lot have GVWR of 10,850lbs with 8800 lb axles and LRC tires. go figure.

Festus2
03-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Power King Towmasters are made offshore - in China. They may not, however, be one of the "Chinese Bombs" mentioned in the previous post.

CWtheMan
03-14-2011, 09:09 PM
After numerous tire failures with our OE tires we tried a number of other brands and started using the Tow Max STR tires about 5 years ago. We are on the second set. They have proven to be very reliable for us and the extra load capacity they provide us with gives us added confidence. Unlike other ST brands we have used, these hold their air pressure and seldom need servicing. We just returned from a two and a half month trip to FL and never had to add any air.

CW

ktmracer
03-14-2011, 09:24 PM
After numerous tire failures with our OE tires we tried a number of other brands and started using the Tow Max STR tires about 5 years ago. We are on the second set. They have proven to be very reliable for us and the extra load capacity they provide us with gives us added confidence. Unlike other ST brands we have used, these hold their air pressure and seldom need servicing. We just returned from a two and a half month trip to FL and never had to add any air.

CW

glad to hear. So far we have about 5,000 miles on ours. Loose at most a few pounds of air every few months.