PDA

View Full Version : Bumper mount grill

beermanjoe
05-31-2015, 02:07 PM
My new passport is coming with a bumper mount grill.Those of you that have one.What do you think of it? Great grill or a piece of crap?

Laredo291OH
05-31-2015, 03:01 PM
The grill that comes with the RV, at least the one that came with our Laredo 291TG in 2011 was a piece of crap and couldn't hardly warm an already cooked hamburger let alone cook a burger. This grill, http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stainless-steel-mountable-grill/37764, works very well and was worth the investment.

beermanjoe
05-31-2015, 04:43 PM
http://cdn.forestriverforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41718&stc=1&d=1382664507 This is what it looks like.

JRTJH
05-31-2015, 05:07 PM
Beermanjoe,

Our Cougar came with the same grill. It's "OK" at best and "could be much better" at worst. We are still using it, the 3rd year, but when it's no longer functional I sure don't plan to even look for another one like it. I'll replace it with a Weber. When that will be, heaven only knows.

As I said, It's OK, so I won't throw it away. Maybe I'm just too "cheap" ???

KanTC
05-31-2015, 05:41 PM
.......It's OK, so I won't throw it away. Maybe I'm just too "cheap" ???

Beermanjoe and John :D... we've been saying the same thing for nearly 10 yrs now. We got a similar "It's okay!" freebie grill when we bought a SOB trailer, and each year
we expect it to "quite working" & be replaced with the Weber we want... buuuut, hasn't happened yet! <LOL> One of these days..... ;)

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

beermanjoe
05-31-2015, 06:01 PM
I have a Coleman Road Trip grill I`ve been using.Should I leave it at home and use the freebie? The wife thinks I should bring it with us.So you know what that means? I`m probably going to bring it along just in case.

JRTJH
05-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Given a choice of a Coleman or the Aussie, I'd probably use the Coleman and either keep the Aussie for a "rainy day" or find someone who needs it more than me and try to get some money toward a "great grill".

We have a commercial propane/charcoal grill at home, so I'm familiar with how a "real grill" should cook. That's why I said the "freebie" is "OK" at best.

Terri, I know what you mean. I'm thinking this thing that should have self destructed last year is going to be around for a while.

zuley
06-01-2015, 03:22 AM
I've made it my mandate to preserve the little $29.00 que that came included with our 23RB. This will be its third year. The paint has bubbled off parts of it, the flavour bar is all warped from the heat but it is still clean and lights first click every time. It really is a POS but I like the fact it hangs off the back and hooks directly into main propane supply. When it finaly does give up the ghost I want to be able to find something that I can adapt to the bumper bracket and be able to hook direct to the propane outlet under the bumer.

JRTJH
06-01-2015, 04:09 AM
Zuley,

If you look at the picture beermanjoe posted of the grill, you'll see a "mounting stand" that it rests on. Those screwposts on the front curved bar are mounts for a "contraption" (I can't say what I want to call them in an open forum) that attaches to the legs of the grill. It essentially makes the grill/mounting frame "one piece" and also makes it too bit to fit the carry bag supplied with it. I cut the mounting frame down so it will fit in the bag, used some expanded metal sheeting to build a "shelf" to attach to the frame.

Now, it all fits in the bag, still adapts to the grill stand and almost any portable grill would sit on the shelf.

Our swing arm grill stand isn't attached to the bumper, it's actually screwed to the back wall. To remove it would mean patching 4 "large size holes" in the fiberglass. Consider yourself "fortunate" that yours attaches to the bumper. At least you can take yours off and suffer no "permanent damage"....

Brian T
06-01-2015, 04:40 AM
We tried the one that came with our 2015 Laredo. Tried cooking hamburgers and hot dogs, ended up transferring to friends grill. I ended up converting our old Weber Q to run off of the trailer propane hookup and still use the bumper mounted arm. So far works excellent!

JimQ
06-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Beermanjoe: I didn't like the idea of grilling right next to the trailer. The thought of grease all over my shiny exterior!! No way. LOL Also, we have the 248RKS, rear kitchen and thought the smoke would go right into the trailer through the main entry door. I removed the mount and grill and will keep it "brand new" if I ever decide to sell and upgrade my unit. I then centered the spare tire on the bumper! We use a coleman portable grill.

Cfoxtrot
06-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Used our Aussie grill this weekend. For a cheap grill it worked great! Used it for hot dogs, corn on the cob and steak...and it got plenty hot to cook our steaks at 5 min per side for Med/Rare with nice grill marks. I will happily use it til it dies, then I will look to upgrade.

jkohler70
06-02-2015, 05:12 AM
The only problem I have with the Aussie is flare-up with high fat foods, but I think that's a problem on any small grill. I have no doubt there are better options, but getting a better one is far down the list of "wants".

ftrupe
06-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Used my Aussie for the first time this past weekend and it did the job. It is very convenient.

CdnFarmers
07-18-2015, 08:07 AM
I ended up ditching the BBQ that came with our Bullet and bought a Coleman. The original bbq just never sat right always a bit of a slant to it when it was mounted on the arm. Got fed up with trying to make it sit just right. :CF:

PT RV`er
07-22-2015, 04:31 AM
Ours came with the same grill. I took it off as soon as I got the rig to the house. I use a Weber Q2000 as our camping grill. Besides, the grill was in the way of my bumper mounted bike rack. I now use the grill in my outdoor kitchen at the house.