PDA

View Full Version : 5th Wheel Tailgate

socalhd
05-30-2015, 08:00 AM
Question: Are they worth it?
Do they save some of the headache?
And if so what is the best buy for the buck?

Desert185
05-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Happily, I found I didn't need one. I have a Trifecta tonneau that I really like. Having a 5er tailgate would defeat the purpose.

JRTJH
05-30-2015, 10:44 AM
Same with my situation. Between wanting the tonneau cover to enclose the bed completely and the built in step in the tailgate, I couldn't get my tired, old self into the bed without the tailgate in place LOL

I suppose for some applications it might make things easier, but like Javi, I've never seen one that didn't rattle more than I could tolerate.

Desert185
05-30-2015, 12:27 PM
I find it easiest to grab the bed side, step on the tire and haul myself over the side of the bed.

No "new-fangled" tailgate step. :)

JRTJH
05-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Some of my "entourage" call it a "cowgirl step" Heck, I'd consider lipstick just to keep from stretching things that don't stretch any more. It really eases the process of getting into the bed. Honestly, when we got our first tailgate step in 2010, I thought, "What a waste" but now, when the TG gets lowered, the step gets deployed. It's as easy to open the step as it is to open the driver's door. Now the "dancing pole" that goes with the step..... I think since 2010, it's been used twice, both times by my DW.... but the step, I won't buy another truck without one.

rhagfo
05-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Well I got a Custom Flow for a great price on Craigslist, would not be without one. Custom flow makes a filler for the "V" for use with a Tonneau Cover that is lockable. This is also all steel construction I at 225# can stand on it no issues. Saves two more steps hitching up.

bsmith0404
05-31-2015, 05:58 AM
Don't have one and don't see a need for one. My dad had one, he got rid of it. Now there was one time that I had a brain fart, opened the tailgate, disconnected everything, closed the tailgate and got in the truck to drive away. Luckily, I looked back and realized I was about to put the 5er hitch into my tailgate, dropped it back down before driving forward. The biggest problem I have heard with these tailgates is that many on the market just don't have a good closing system and they rattle.

Some older 5ers without the extended pin box would be a problem to hook up with an 8' bed. The tailgate would contact the front of the 5er, but I don't think that would be a problem with any of the newer ones. If I had that situation, I would buy a 5th wheel tailgate.

Bushman512000
06-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Just got mine on I bought a Stromburg at 300 clams I think it will keep Me happy not a RR but fits nice and has a lock the new Ram is high and a short box so the V gate I think is a need be :D

chris199
06-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Am usung a Blue Ox bedsaver. Have to unhitch then get out and raise the pin to get over the Blue Ox. 5er tailgate wouldnt save any steps....have to get out anyway. I just lower the tailgate when I jump out. Blue Ox hasn't saved me yet but I like the peace of mind that it's there...worth the hassle factor.

Barbell
06-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Also have the Blue Ox Bedsaver and a drop center tailgate from CW on my longbed Dodge. The tailgate fits tight and does not rattle after proper adjustment. We had the original Reese hitch come apart in North Carolina which ruined the truck bed, which is the reason for the Bedsaver. The tailgate is there because the original tailgate in down position would hit the 5er when hooking up unless I was perfectly straight. Now I don't have to lower the tailgate when hooking or unhooking and the bedsaver is installed so it will catch the pin if the hitch fails but is low enough that I don't have to stop and raise the 5er again when unhooking. I don't remember exactly what the cost of the tailgate was; around $200+/- I think. Well worth the cost.

chuckster57
06-16-2015, 07:36 PM
I love my tailgate. Never had to open/close it on our 5 1/2 week trip. Stopped and unhooked every day. It doesn't make any noise that I can hear over my mechanical Diesel engine. Best part $20.00 at a yard sale. Took about $25.00 of paint to match the truck.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_175786_0_436d07cd38321394d2f770655c1de066.jpg

hankpage
06-16-2015, 07:40 PM
I think I have noticed a trend here .... those with Dodges like the 5er gates. I use one also. If you have ever lowered the tailgate on a Dodge you will have noticed that it weighs twice as much as a Ford or GM. I have a hitch step in my receiver from there to the bumper and then through the V makes entry to the bed easy for this old timer and when I do have to lower the gate it is a simple one hand job. I did have to replace one latch last year but it is ten years old. If you can hear the tailgate rattle over my Cummins your Miracle Ear is turned up too high. Another Stromberg Carlson fan, Hank
Sure Chuck had to ruin my theory with his Ford. :D

gkainz
06-16-2015, 07:52 PM
I have a Dodge but don't like the 5er gates.

TomHaycraft
06-17-2015, 02:26 AM
How sturdy are the v-gates when down? I'm asking as I periodically find myself loading or unloading things from the bed and either standing on the tailgate (200 lbs), setting heaving items (the head of my 5th wheel hitch, sometimes the base) on it. Last weekend I had 45 bags of mulch, topsoil and compost in the bed, pulling 4 bags at a time (160 lbs) to transfer to the wheelbarrow.

Would the v-gates support this, or would I have to take it off during these exercises?

hankpage
06-17-2015, 04:45 AM
How sturdy are the v-gates when down? I'm asking as I periodically find myself loading or unloading things from the bed and either standing on the tailgate (200 lbs), setting heaving items (the head of my 5th wheel hitch, sometimes the base) on it. Last weekend I had 45 bags of mulch, topsoil and compost in the bed, pulling 4 bags at a time (160 lbs) to transfer to the wheelbarrow.

Would the v-gates support this, or would I have to take it off during these exercises?

Mine is plastic and will not support much weight. I change to my stock gate when the need arises. (not that often http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587 )

rhagfo
06-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Mine is plastic and will not support much weight. I change to my stock gate when the need arises. (not that often http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587 )

My steel Custom Flow will support me at 220#, I place hitch on TG when removing or installing.

Bushman512000
06-17-2015, 06:02 PM
I love my tailgate. Never had to open/close it on our 5 1/2 week trip. Stopped and unhooked every day. It doesn't make any noise that I can hear over my mechanical Diesel engine. Best part $20.00 at a yard sale. Took about $25.00 of paint to match the truck.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_175950_0_436d07cd38321394d2f770655c1de066.jpg

wow that's some paint job...:eek:

TomHaycraft
06-18-2015, 08:07 AM
My steel Custom Flow will support me at 220#, I place hitch on TG when removing or installing.

rhagfo, much appreciated!