PDA

View Full Version : 2nd AC addition

firekat96
05-30-2015, 03:55 AM
Is it totally impossible for a "do it yourself'er" to install a 2nd AC in a bedroom that's already prepped for it?

PerryB
05-30-2015, 04:51 AM
If its pre-wired then its a pretty simple job. I'm assuming you are going to install a unit with its own built in switching and thermostat, as opposed to a wall mounted remote. Getting the wires across the roof and down the wall would be the hardest part of that job.

Rhinoone82
05-30-2015, 05:30 AM
If it is already prepped for the A/C the wires may already be run for the thermostat to the wall. We ended up adding a 2nd unit to our 2015 Impact 311 in the garage area. Ours was prepped for the 2nd A/C and We were able to find out from keystone, by giving them the VIN#, where the wire was run to.

We were going to do it ourselves but ended up going with a local dealer. They gave me a great price to do the install, and with their warranty on the install I couldn't pass it up.

It is doable though.

cjelliott81
05-30-2015, 07:45 AM
I am considering this as well. I think I've decided though that I am just going to wait for one of Camping World's $39 install sales and have them do it. Honestly the idea of lifting an air conditioner up a ladder sounds like a recipe for a trip to the ER. Not to mention if they install it they can be held responsible for leaks, etc.

JRTJH
05-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Read the fine print on that $39 install. Years ago, CW did do "set price" installations. Originally they were "anything we sell, installed for $5". Now, not so. That $39 installation is "plus parts and supplies" "plus shop disposal charges" "plus any modification, carpentry or additional work" .... the list goes on and on. One member reported that a "slide cover" (awning) was installed with the $39 special. Final installation cost was over $100.

Make sure they quote you the "total install cost" in writing.

sourdough
05-30-2015, 09:21 AM
When we bought our Cougar High Country in 14 we had the 2nd AC installed while the $39 installation deal was going. They did charge me for shop supplies if I recall but that was about it. I think the total for the install was around $60-65 (from my memory). I thought it was a steal vs me trying to horse the thing up and down a ladder and doing the installation.

JRTJH
05-30-2015, 10:38 AM
That's a very fair price for an A/C install. My point was that what's advertised as a $39 cost, can have so much "other stuff" that's added. Depending on where it's done, and the situation (install on a new sales unit vs a "walk in from the street) that cost can be "modified" by using the exclusions in the small print to a degree that the original charge isn't even recognizable......

I don't know of very many people who walk into a CW service department, buy an A/C and get it installed for $39, even though that's what the "BIG" print says will happen.......

sourdough, Are you still in FL, or on the road?

cjelliott81
05-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Like most everything - it is a matter of doing your homework. If the quoted price from CW is not satisfactory, I'll keep shopping.

Admittedly based on prior experience with CW, it will go back at least twice because it was installed wrong or is not functioning correctly.

sourdough
05-30-2015, 11:42 AM
I guess I must be lucky. CW has done several mods to my trailer and I have had pretty good luck. I will say you have to watch what they do. They replaced the cover for the propane tanks and put the metal tabs for the rubber retainers on backward. I had to drill out the rivets (which were loose), epoxy the old holes, re-position the tabs and re-rivet. I guess I like doing that kind of thing. I took pics, wrote down what was wrong and the process to correct, took it to the service manager and he used it for a technician learning session. Now maybe someone else won't have to worry about that happening to them. Getting things back that aren't up to my expectations (which are very high) is a disappointment. On the other hand, I've visited extensively with the management of my CW and they just have a terrible time acquiring, and retaining, trained/qualified techs. I've been in that position and understand what that learning curve is like and the problems that go with it - I guess as long as the management of the store is receptive to criticism, wants to improve what they are doing and are willing to take help such as I offer then I will wait until they "get it right".

John - We are still in FL. My daughter had a return visit to the doc yesterday and they caused some sort of hernia on the surgery they just did. Tuesday she goes back to the doc to see when they will schedule the corrective surgery. If they do it in a few days we will continue to stay here. If they put it off for a long period we will head back - just wait and see at the moment.

JRTJH
05-30-2015, 11:49 AM
:thumbsup: Here's hoping things go well for her at the appointment. Think positive, it's easier to sleep that way

sourdough
05-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Thanks John. We think things will be fine. Having to have a 2nd surgery due to a malfunction on the first one isn't fun.

JRTJH
05-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Doing anything "unpleasant" a second time is never fun.... There's no "glory" in it for the surgeon either... Been there, done that :(

firekat96
05-30-2015, 06:40 PM
It is already prepped for the 2nd ac in the master. It's going in our 2015 Carbon. This is our first summer with it and from running it out in the yard the past couple days it's just not going to cool the camper on one unit.

Air temp at vent in bedroom (farthest away) is 55* but it's only keeping it about 8* cooler than outside temp. I sure would have thought it would have done better than this.

firekat96
05-30-2015, 06:42 PM
It also already has the remote temperature thingy in the bedroom and the thermostat has 2 zones on it.

JRTJH
05-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Have you pulled the cover off the outlet box next to the vent? Are there thermostat wires AND Romex coiled up inside it? If so, you're "golden" if not, remove the vent shroud and see if the thermostat wires are there. If so, again "golden" if not.... Hmmmmmmm

cb1000rider
05-30-2015, 09:04 PM
Agree. Find the Romex and control wire. If you can't find the control wire and you don't need a ducted system, there are lots of ACs with controls under them, but a Carbon is probably pre-ducted. My first step would be to pull the cover and see what's in there.

I've done a total of 1. By far the hardest part was getting the AC up. I'd not try to carry it, it's heavy and hard to hold. I basically put a pulley on a beam, got the AC up, then drove the RV under the pulley... A tractor with a high lift bucket might work too. I think I got a unit from PPL if I remember right, like $600-ish shipped...

Scottchbright
05-30-2015, 09:56 PM
I just finished installing a 2nd AC on my trailer. It was easy. I even had to fish the wires myself. The electrical panel had a spot for it but no wires. I ran the romex just as you would a regular house. I thought the hardest part was going to be getting it up on the roof. I ended up backing my trailer up next to a junk/ parts motorhome that is stored in the same storage lot where I keep my trailer. I lashed the AC up with some ropes, knots, and webbing (still in the box), straddled the trailer and motor home, and hoisted it up. You could use a ladder as a slide, and pull/push it up too. My brother did his that way. The new Dometic AC units only weigh approx 75lbs. After all that it's really straight forward. Make sure the attic void is sealed up so you don't loose any cool air into the attic, or suck air from the attic.
Look it up on YouTube. There's some good videos.

cb1000rider
05-31-2015, 05:44 AM
Air temp at vent in bedroom (farthest away) is 55* but it's only keeping it about 8* cooler than outside temp. I sure would have thought it would have done better than this.

That temperature may be OK if ambient is really low. The coils can't be cooled past freezing or the condensation forms ice and the whole thing won't work. Not 100% sure, but I wouldn't be alarmed.

If it's 80 and it only cools to 72, that might be of concern... How far away are the vents?

firekat96
05-31-2015, 05:45 AM
This is what's in the outlet box.

Also don't think my thermostat is working properly, it's reading 11 degrees higher than a thermometer I sat on top of it.

firekat96
05-31-2015, 05:53 AM
Should the water run off from ac be warm? I'm pretty sure it was cold on our last camper but maybe it's just warming up from running down the roof so far.

By the thermostat it's only cooling it about 5-7* cooler than outside temp.

Ran some test yesterday with a thermometer in different places in the camper and it was always about 15-18* colder than what the thermostat said. But it's still not cold, maybe I'm just use to freezing in our last camper ( a 35ft cougar TT ) and just not use to trying to cool this much space.

roadglide
06-05-2015, 08:56 PM
On my 2015 311 impact. I think AC should be more efficient then it is. I started it up with the inside temperature at 100 degrees and it took 6 hours to cool down to 75 degrees with the help of the second AC in the garage. I think the temperature should be at least 45 degrees at the AC . I'm going to get a turkey thermometer and tape it up in the vent and see how cold it is. The Rv park was sold out of the 50 amp services so I had to settle for a 30 amp service if that makes a differences.

firekat96
06-07-2015, 01:38 PM
My unit is at the dealer now getting looked at. They said the 55* at the vent was very good, even better than most (not sure how true that is). My thermostat is definitely bad I would say. I'm picking it up Tuesday so I'll find out then what's going on but I really think it's just not enough for our size camper.

911GPS
06-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Looks like we are going to have to add a 3rd AC in order to keep our RAPTOR cool... It will not go thru panel box, instead hook directly to the power pedestal ... We have done this before, and it does work well

cb1000rider
06-10-2015, 01:26 PM
I think the Raptors are washer/dryer provisioned. If you don't have the washer/dryer installed, you could put a 10k unit in that spot and vent it out the dryer vent... This keeps all the wiring internal.

If they're optioned for 3 AC units, likely the wiring is already up there.

b.d.keathley
06-10-2015, 09:32 PM
I think thats what I paid.......$39 they installed it in about 5 hrs.......works excellent 2 15k btu s worth every penny. I pre paid two months In advance thenshowed up