PDA

View Full Version : Filling fresh water tank in my Alpine

heli190
05-29-2015, 03:06 PM
I have a 2012 Alpine that did not come with a diverter valve to be able to either supply park water direct into the RV or switch and fill the fresh water tank.Has anyone converted their gravity fill to a diverter valve?

chuckster57
05-29-2015, 05:46 PM
You would be better off converting the city water connection. Since the fresh water system is already designed for a pressurized source, the gravity fill system isn't.

Depending on where the two connections are will dictate how much work it would take.

GaryWT
05-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Funny because so many people complain about what you wish you had. Gravity fill is so easy and if you are not connected to water you need a pump to be able to fill the tank for 5 gallon jugs is what I have read. But I am sure someone sells what you want, put a valve in and change the hose to the water tank.

heli190
05-30-2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. The only reason I'm considering changing to a diverter valve is because every time I try to fill with the gravity feed line it blows back out. It's acting like the tank is full when there is very little in it. I've traced the line to the tank to make sure there are no kinks, but it still does it.

JRTJH
05-30-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. The only reason I'm considering changing to a diverter valve is because every time I try to fill with the gravity feed line it blows back out. It's acting like the tank is full when there is very little in it. I've traced the line to the tank to make sure there are no kinks, but it still does it.

Many people have traced the problem you're having with blowback to a "droop" in the fill line. It should have a "direct path" to the tank without any bow or droop. If it does droop, you'll get "blowback" and "belching" with almost no ability to fill the tank to capacity.

If you can gain access, either prop up the fill line or tie it up so it doesn't droop and you should not have any problems filling to capacity.

Good Luck.

chuckster57
05-30-2015, 11:41 AM
I have lost count how many times this issue is caused by a kinked vent line. More common that a drooping fill line from my experiences.

PerryB
05-30-2015, 07:25 PM
I have lost count how many times this issue is caused by a kinked vent line. More common that a drooping fill line from my experiences.

Same here. If the vent line has a sag in it, it will get a "plug" of water and the fill line will constantly blow back at you. My trailer does this unless I give it a little shot of air down the vent line to clear it prior to filling. One of these days I'm going to drop some sheeting and fix it.

heli190
06-18-2015, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all the input

shov
07-06-2015, 01:28 PM
I am experiencing the same issue. I will check for the sagging supply line and a kinked vent tube. Thanks everyone!