PDA

View Full Version : Jacks up or down ?

Jdhd2004
03-13-2011, 08:02 PM
I am a newbie and was wondering whilemy rv is at my home
or storage for a period of time ( winter storage or in between trips ) is It better to put the 4 scissor jacks down or leave them up ? Will this help to prolong the tires ?

Maxzd
03-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I am a newbie and was wondering whilemy rv is at my home
or storage for a period of time ( winter storage or in between trips ) is It better to put the 4 scissor jacks down or leave them up ? Will this help to prolong the tires ?

There is not a practical benefit for having the scissor jacks down when your trailer is not in use. Scissor jacks are for stabilizing only, not for leveling or raising an RV. They are used to help reduce the motion when people are moving inside of an RV. They should never be used to lift the RV or level the RV, they can't handle that type of weight.

Here's a quick blurb on Tire storage when on an RV:

Storing Tires On the Vehicle

RV tires are mostly stored on the vehicle. For ideal storage, a vehicle should be placed on blocks so there is no weight on the tires. If this cannot be done, follow these tips for best tire protection:

1.Unload the vehicle to reduce weight on the tires to a minimum.
2.Wash the tires with soap and warm water; dry completely before storing and especially before covering the tires.
3.Ensure that tires are inflated to the recommended operating pressure. (Goodyear recommends going over by 25% provided this does not exceed the maximum.)
4.Check pressure every two or three months, and again before the vehicle is returned to service.
5.If the vehicle cannot be blocked up, store it on a surface that is firm, clean (no oil, grease, or moisture), well-drained and level.
6.Move the vehicle quarterly (except during very cold weather) to prevent flat-spotting (prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection) and ozone checking in the bulge area.
7.If the vehicle is stored outdoors, use tire covers to reduce UV damage.
Proper storage can add to tire life by helping the rubber resist the effects of UV light, ozone, moisture, exposure to oil and grease, and deformation of the tread and sidewall. An occasional half-hour of care can both add extra traveling distance and reduce the chance of future problems.

Hope that helps!

Terrydactile
03-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Along with the above items, I never leave my 'stabilizers' down while in storage because if you have a tire or two go flat with the stabilizers down it can put uneven loads on the frame. This can cause some twisting and bending of todays light weight frames.

chuck&gail
03-14-2011, 07:10 PM
All our TT's have been stored outside, with tires covered, and with stabilizers down. We put them down as it helps stabilize the TT in high winds. Worked ok for over 80,000 miles and many years so far.