PDA

View Full Version : Maxxair Roof Vent Covers

Desert185
05-26-2015, 03:55 PM
For those of you who have them, do you like them? I'm thinking of installing one on the bathroom vent and one aft on the bunk vent. Both will be center roof, behind forward and aft A/C so they shouldn't cause any further height limitations or be susceptible to branch damage.

Javi
05-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Wouldn't be without them, I can leave the vents open and not worry about critters, debris or rain. I have the Maxxair fan in the living area and really love it.. in fact I'm seriously thinking about adding one for the bath..

Steve S
05-26-2015, 04:09 PM
I just installed one 2 days ago and I love it! Leaving the vent open and going out without worrying about the rain is great:) I plan on getting another one this week as they're on sale for 30 bucks:)

sourdough
05-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Put them on all of our vents and like them. They are great against the rain. In our part of the country W TX we have so much dust that they don't do anything for that and have to remain closed.

GT2400BH
05-26-2015, 05:21 PM
I just got a camping world flyer in the mail. They are on sale for 19.97 if your a good Sam member.

14george
05-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Got three on mine leave them open no rain gets in had them on all my trailers will not go with out them

Cfoxtrot
05-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Had them on all of the vents on my last camper and loved them. Don't have them on my Bullet...YET!

GmaPaTime
05-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Have one on each of our two fans. They are great and really help in keeping the mositure level down in the camper. We keep ours open year round.

Steve

Desert185
05-26-2015, 06:37 PM
I just got a camping world flyer in the mail. They are on sale for 19.97 if your a good Sam member.

That and a buddy with his Maxxair cover equipped MH stopping by for the weekend prompted this.

(tx) for all the responses.

BirchyBoy
05-26-2015, 07:37 PM
I installed them a few weeks ago and had a 2 nights of rain this weekend. The covers did their thing and let me keep the vents open. Won't go without them again.

racin500
05-26-2015, 08:05 PM
All of my vents are covered, except one. Not sure what the manufacturer was thinking. Can we guess which one it is? Hail storm a couple weeks ago.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48781439/Everest/2015-04-17%2009.27.25.jpg

Steve S
05-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Looks like an old cover and the weather deteriorates them.

racin500
05-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Looks like an old cover and the weather deteriorates them.

It's a 2007 so it's not real old. Bought it last fall. RV was located in Florida most of the time so the heat was probably a factor. It was very brittle. Could almost put you finger through it without much effort.

firekat96
05-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Have 3 on hold until in the morning at camping world. Do yall leave them open while running the AC? And do you put them on the automatic Maxx air fan also or do they take a different style?

14george
05-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Leave mine open with ac have pets in camper in case electric goes off

Steve S
05-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Leave mine open with ac have pets in camper in case electric goes off

Does the AC still keep things cool, like do you notice a difference with the hatch open?

JimDogs
05-27-2015, 03:27 PM
I have the MaxxAir II large vent covers and I like them more than the originals. I leave them open all the time when parked (I'm in Cali where it never rains) in the drive and while travelling down the road. They open more for better ventilation than the originals did. And they work better with the larger exhaust fan in the bathroom.

firekat96
05-29-2015, 02:01 PM
I got my 3 put on today and Like Steve S asked I'm curious also, do everyone leave the vents open while running the AC and can you tell a difference in cooling? I ran my AC today set at 77 with 3 vents open and it only cooled the camper to 83 and it's only 88 here in SC today. Does that seem right?

This is our first 5th wheel and first summer with it but I think it should be keeping up a little better than that.

bsmith0404
05-31-2015, 06:47 AM
Had Maxxair IIs on the last 5er and loved them. Put Aero Flo's on this one and love them as well. Bottom line, regardless of brand, I won't own a camper without them.

bsmith0404
05-31-2015, 06:50 AM
All of my vents are covered, except one. Not sure what the manufacturer was thinking. Can we guess which one it is? Hail storm a couple weeks ago.

Had a hail storm destroy a 5er about 5 years ago. That vent looks to have similar damage to our AC cover....the AC cover was worse. All of our vents survived the hail storm, they had Maxxairs on them. Hail will do some serious damage to RVs, especially up on the roof.

Javi
05-31-2015, 07:22 AM
I got my 3 put on today and Like Steve S asked I'm curious also, do everyone leave the vents open while running the AC and can you tell a difference in cooling? I ran my AC today set at 77 with 3 vents open and it only cooled the camper to 83 and it's only 88 here in SC today. Does that seem right?

This is our first 5th wheel and first summer with it but I think it should be keeping up a little better than that.

When we set up and turn on the A/C I will also turn on the MaxxAir fan in the living area.. (hot air rises and cool air sinks.. ) until it starts to feel cool then I turn the fan off and close the vent. If the DW is cooking she turns on the stove vent fan and the MaxxAir fan until she is finished.

The vent in the bath is open if we're in there and the fan is only used while showering. Always remember to turn the fan off when flushing... :D

One thing to note is that we have two A/C units in our 5'er and often use them both.

Desert185
05-31-2015, 08:02 AM
When we set up and turn on the A/C I will also turn on the MaxxAir fan in the living area.. (hot air rises and cool air sinks.. ) until it starts to feel cool then I turn the fan off and close the vent. If the DW is cooking she turns on the stove vent fan and the MaxxAir fan until she is finished.

The vent in the bath is open if we're in there and the fan is only used while showering. Always remember to turn the fan off when flushing... :D

One thing to note is that we have two A/C units in our 5'er and often use them both.

Ref the stove vent fan. Are the outside flapper locking tabs released so the air actually vents? :)

GmaPaTime
05-31-2015, 08:52 AM
Just got home from two days of 90's during the day and 80's at night. AC ran non stop and kept it a nice 74 all day with the vents open, no fan on. :)

Steve

Javi
05-31-2015, 10:06 AM
Ref the stove vent fan. Are the outside flapper locking tabs released so the air actually vents? :)

Yes...:D ;)

Steve S
05-31-2015, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the reply Javi :) I'm glad I don't have the bathroom fan things that everyone has :D

skidooxman
05-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Is there much of a difference between maxxair/fantastic vents? I have the fantastic now on my tt and sometimes when it rains, I can feel light mist coming in. Thanks

bsmith0404
05-31-2015, 12:31 PM
Is there much of a difference between maxxair/fantastic vents? I have the fantastic now on my tt and sometimes when it rains, I can feel light mist coming in. Thanks

I'm assuming you are talking about the fantastic ultra breeze vent cover. I've never used them, but they appear to be similar designs. Not sure why you would get rain coming in.

Pull Toy
05-31-2015, 01:15 PM
We've had them on the last three campers... wouldn't be without them! Even in winter storage, I leave the vent open an inch or two. The cross ventilation, without the fear of rain damage is worth the price!

I also put the Max Air Power Vent Cover on the power vent. I don't want it to close when it rains! I just cut the fan speed back to low, and get all of the fresh air I want, without the moisture.

Desert185
06-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Installed two today. Simple, straightforward and the inside temperature went from one degree warmer inside than outside temperature to one degree cooler. This after a couple of hours, and with the outside temp going from 78 to 81. Not astounding results, but progress in the right direction without worry of rain entering the wheeled dwelling during our absence. This is a good mod.

Cfoxtrot
06-02-2015, 05:26 PM
I have a pair on the way!!!

gtsum2
06-02-2015, 05:27 PM
I out three on mine the first day I had it. I leave the vents open when ac is on...I leave them open all the time and seems to work well. I have two ac's and both r set to auto so both run here and there when csmping

audio1der
06-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Love'em. Even Wal-Mart carries Maxxair now, $35 up here must be about $4.95 for you in the US. (I paid $50/ea from the dealer)

UsTwo
06-03-2015, 04:10 AM
I also have have and love them.. Just like most everybody I leave the vents cracked open all the time..even in the winter...

chris15005
08-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Our old Gulfstream the covers lasted 2 years before they fell apart i covered them both with Maxair's our 2770RB that we are picking up next Tuesday will have them installed on both roof vents before it leaves the lot.

Chillaxin' III
06-27-2016, 03:55 PM
I now have 2 Maxxair II covers on the way from Amazon as well. Gonna install them this weekend before our 1 week camping trip next weekend. If I leave them open, I believe it would "suck" all the hot air out of the camper while towing to our destination; so the TT isn't such a "hot box" when we arrive....that makes the A/C work over time, and takes HOURS to cool down the TT in this southern summer heat!

gtsum2
06-27-2016, 05:02 PM
^^^its still gonna be hot in there:). If I remember, sometimes I start the generator and the ac's an hour or two before we get there...keeps the genny exercised as well as a cooler rig when setting up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rturriff7
06-29-2016, 06:09 PM
I would not go without them. Great if it is raining and want some fresh air. Even better when you store the rig and forget to close the vents :banghead:

Desert185
06-29-2016, 06:24 PM
For those of you who have them, do you like them? I'm thinking of installing one on the bathroom vent and one aft on the bunk vent. Both will be center roof, behind forward and aft A/C so they shouldn't cause any further height limitations or be susceptible to branch damage.

13 months after the installation, the vent covers have exceeded every expectation. These should be OEM.

Dave W
06-30-2016, 03:33 AM
I prefer the Aero-Flo on non powered vents (they just look better) but since we now have two powered vents, have the MaxxAir on one so far so that the cover will open most of the way. They work just fine. The second will be on the way shortly since the bathroom needs one too.

Anyone need a couple nicely used Aero-Flo vent covers pretty cheap:D ?

14george
06-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Got max air on saved mine from hail damage had to replace one from the hail damage

the sodfather
07-02-2016, 07:58 PM
I installed two of the smoke colored ones on my 272 BHS. Really like them. Bought them off Amazon for cheap and free shipping with Prime!

Chillaxin' III
07-03-2016, 05:22 AM
I installed two of the smoke colored ones on my 272 BHS. Really like them. Bought them off Amazon for cheap and free shipping with Prime!

Yesterday I installed two smoked Maxxair IIs on my 2015 Bullet 310BHS. They were easy to install and only took about 45 minutes. You LITERALLY only need a marker, 3/16" drill, phillips screwdriver and a 3/8" wrench. I got mine on Amazon as well...they look GREAT! :D

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_206098_0_1f1ee003790412e95f9053608e2175d1.jpg

canesfan
07-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Been wondering, I have the Chinese knockoff version of the Fantastic Fan in the garage. Can I use these on that? I'm thinking since the vent can't open all the way it will burn out the motor since I assume there's a limit switch when the cover opens all the way to stop the motor. Since the cover can't open all the way the motor will keep trying to open it until it stops working.

Dave W
07-03-2016, 09:10 AM
If it's the Airxcel MaxxFan, it will shut down as soon as it hits the vent cover. The original Fantastic Fan will as well. Any other brand ???

canesfan
07-03-2016, 09:26 AM
If it's the Airxcel MaxxFan, it will shut down as soon as it hits the vent cover. The original Fantastic Fan will as well. Any other brand ???

The fan will shut down or the motor opening the vent? I think that's the brand but I need to go out and look at it.

Or maybe this one? http://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Fantastic-Vent/FVU1500BL.html?feed=npn&gclid=CI-h4N7n180CFQeTfgodhscK3g

malabarbob
07-03-2016, 09:57 AM
An absolute must. Don't wait until you leave your vent open on a nice night and it rains.Run, don't walk to RV store.

Dave W
07-10-2016, 04:09 AM
Got the second MaxxAir cover on Friday just in time for the monsoon that came through a few hours later and all day yesterday and so far today. We were able to keep both open and at least have clean air vs. the cooking and just plain living smog of the past on nasty days. I had forgotten how well vent covers worked the past couple years we have owned this 5er. I was also able to fix the electric raiser timing shaft problem that had plagued me since new

Speaking of the Friday part of the monsoon - very heavy winds, cut the power, knocked down a bunch of trees locally, broke off big branches and, and unfortunately, two awnings on other folks campers. The people in the MH, from Kentucky, across the road were away for the day and said it never rained where they were. Very surprised to find their awning wrecked. We cut it off as all of the legs and the roller spring were twisted and/or broken.

tech740
07-10-2016, 01:10 PM
I have 4 of the originals on mine. Just keep in mind if you have a vent on the forward slope of the rv you either need one of the longer ones or can't use it in the rain. I have a 322qbs and it has a 2nd ac prep. Right now it's a vent and if left open in the rain even with the vent cover it can get wet. Luckily I found this during testing not a suprise.