PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution setup

kancop
05-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Just put airbags on my TV. Would i adjust my hitch with ABs inflated or setup the hitch and then inflate the ABs?

CampDestinations.com
05-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Your 300BH is similar to our 3220BH in that the tongue weights are naturally light. So you may not need much pressure in the bags. But I generally get everything loaded up first and then add a little to the bags. Sometimes I don't need to use them at all. When I had the suburban it was heavier in the back and softer suspension so I used the bags all the time.

Bob Landry
05-24-2015, 07:38 AM
The bags are always inflated first and you have to be sure they are inflated the same every time. When you change the height of the TV you change the tilt on the hitch head and thus change the tension on the bars.
Raising the rear tilts the hitch forward and decreases the bar tension..
If you add air after adjusting the WD to make everything "look right", you change the tension.

kancop
05-26-2015, 06:44 PM
The bags are always inflated first and you have to be sure they are inflated the same every time. When you change the height of the TV you change the tilt on the hitch head and thus change the tension on the bars.
Raising the rear tilts the hitch forward and decreases the bar tension..
If you add air after adjusting the WD to make everything "look right", you change the tension.

Thinking I will start around 40 psi on the first round of adjustments

audio1der
06-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Check the instructions for your particular airbags. My Airlift 1000s are clear in that you are to inflate to (max) 30lbs, then hook up and adjust as required.
I love how they keep the geometry of the DW setup consistent, as well as eliminating sag.

Bob Landry
06-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Regardless of what the instructions tell you, the bags need to be inflated to get the TV at the desired height, than do your WD adjustment with the bags inflated the same every time. You need to understand that by changing the height of the rear end, you are changing the tilt angle on the hitch ball and that changes the weight transfer to the steering axle. It's really your choice on what you do, but that is how it works.

audio1der
06-26-2015, 01:35 PM
I agree 100% Bob, but thought I should say what the manf'r would state.
Aside from the obvious benefit of reducing sage, my favorite benefit of airbags is the increased consistency in WDH setup.

sourdough
06-26-2015, 04:13 PM
With an Excursion as a tow vehicle I think you will definitely want the ABs inflated at max to start then see what it does.