PDA

View Full Version : how long should warranty work take?

Wawhoss
05-23-2015, 07:48 AM
We bought our 5th wheel trailer('15 Laredo 278srl) from a dealer in Hammond La on 3/21/15, We used it for Easter Week end and as usual we had a list of 15/20 items that needed some work (not unusual for a brand new unit). We returned it to the dealer on 4/25/15 and so far they haven't fixed a thing.

Their story is that they first have to access the work and then ask Laredo for a work authorization and then after they get that they order the parts from Laredo. Right now we are waiting for the parts to ship! They still have to do the work.

Has anyone else run into these kinds of delays with this product line?

Thanks

BirchyBoy
05-23-2015, 10:20 AM
We had warranty work and it was about a month last Fall. It all depends on your dealer and what needs to be done.

Javi
05-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Depending on the punch list it can take from a month to three or even four months during the initial one year warranty period. Some of this is on the dealer taking a while to get it in the shop and document all the points on the punch list. After all make ready is gonna win that fight every time.

Some of it is on Keystone for making the warranty process cumbersome and often denying the claim or requesting further documentation.

This is why many of us just fix the little things ourselves, leaving only major problems for the dealer.

GaryWT
05-23-2015, 03:21 PM
One trailer we had a few issues so we dropped it off and told them our next trip was in 4 weeks and they had it done. The last issue, we sent pictures, they ordered the parts and I made an appointment when the parts came in. I sat and waited for it.

chuckster57
05-23-2015, 03:52 PM
How long it takes to complete warranty work depends on a few factors.

How many RV's are in front of yours and how many techs there are. Another factor is the time of year.

Warranty repairs have to follow a process so the dealership will get paid. First thing is the tech takes your list and documents on a work order what the concern is and the cause. Then pictures are taken including any data plates that contain model and serial numbers. After all the documentation is submitted to the factory, including labor times to repair, the factory authorizes or denies each item.

If it's approved and parts are needed then they are ordered. Once the parts arrive, the repair is performed. If any item is denied, then that concern is not dealt with without telling the customer that it was denied and the cost will be the customers responsibility. All of this takes time, and I have seen it take days, weeks, and months. In the end, all you can do is call the service mgr. And ask nicely how the repairs are coming along.

therink
05-23-2015, 04:54 PM
On my current fiver, I also had a punch list of larger warranty items (about 6), which required parts from Keystone. I fixed numerous nuisance items myself.
To fix the major items, I made an appointment with the dealer to look at and verify the issues. Once they did their documentation required for warranty coverage, I left and told them to call me when the parts came in. Once the parts were in, I scheduled the repairs and had my rig back within 3 days. I learned this method the hard way whereas in my last new RV, the dealer had my rig for over two months.
I found this to be a good way to remain in the drivers seat for warranty work. Once you drop off the rig, you are at the dealers mercy. I don't think most dealers consider warranty work a priority, as they can't bill out full labor rates.

Jhanemann
09-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Curious to know which dealer this is. We too have had our camper sit at dealer for warranty work for 5 months!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gearhead
09-05-2016, 01:31 PM
I've posted this before but will again.
For warranty work on components like Dometic refigerators or A/C, Suburban furnace, awnings, etc. any factory authorized repair shop can repair it under warranty. Usually much better and faster than the dealer. There is very little incentive for a dealer to actually fix anything.
There is one catch. You have to be sure the issue is the component. If it's the wires going to the A/C then the shop can't fix a Keystone assembly issue under warranty.
I would suggest finding an independent parts and repair shop and talk to them about what components they are authorized to repair under warranty.
My shop is authorized to repair about everything I have except frame, walls and cabinets. Channelview RV Supplies I-10 East, Houston, TX.
And if you own Dometic...they offer extended warranties.

chuckster57
09-05-2016, 01:59 PM
We bought our 5th wheel trailer('15 Laredo 278srl) from a dealer in Hammond La on 3/21/15, We used it for Easter Week end and as usual we had a list of 15/20 items that needed some work (not unusual for a brand new unit). We returned it to the dealer on 4/25/15 and so far they haven't fixed a thing.

Their story is that they first have to access the work and then ask Laredo for a work authorization and then after they get that they order the parts from Laredo. Right now we are waiting for the parts to ship! They still have to do the work.

Has anyone else run into these kinds of delays with this product line?

Thanks

It's the same for ALL brands. Document customer concern, take pictures. Submit for approval. Get approval, order parts. Wait for parts to arrive. IF they are right, do the work. If they are wrong ( common) order again, wait for right part.

Just went through this with a Keystone outback. Rear window wasn't working from the factory. I took pictures, measured and our warranty girl ordered. 3 weeks later window showed up. Emergency exit was on wrong side. 3 weeks later got the right window. Factory admitted wrong one sent out. They had to pay shipping TWICE.

Ken / Claudia
09-05-2016, 07:39 PM
I would not ever leave my car, boat, rv, etc at a dealer unless it could not be used because of the problem. With current TT I did 100% just like post #6. With a appointment. 1 day for dealer to look at, photograph problems. I than took TT home and used it on 2 outings. They got approval, than parts about 2 weeks later. 2 days at dealer and I had unit back. Did the same when the furnace failed except no outings between the look at and fix.

chuckster57
09-05-2016, 08:10 PM
I would not ever leave my car, boat, rv, etc at a dealer unless it could not be used because of the problem. With current TT I did 100% just like post #6. With a appointment. 1 day for dealer to look at, photograph problems. I than took TT home and used it on 2 outings. They got approval, than parts about 2 weeks later. 2 days at dealer and I had unit back. Did the same when the furnace failed except no outings between the look at and fix.

We have customers that do that. I like it because it benefits both parties. You can still use your RV and it's not taking up space in our lot.

Tbos
09-06-2016, 08:33 AM
The problem we have in our area is you have to make an appointment just to get in line. You have no idea how long the rig will sit there before it is actually looked at. Then depending on what is needed the additional wait begins.

chuckster57
09-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Can't you make an appointment specifically to document concerns? Kind of like a "waiter" appt. where you wait while they do anything.

Tbos
09-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Can't you make an appointment specifically to document concerns? Kind of like a "waiter" appt. where you wait while they do anything.

All I want done is an annual inspection and they scheduled me 8 weeks out to get in line. The dealer closest to me won't even call me back because I didn't buy there. Oh well. Not much I can do at this point.

robo
09-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Took us 4.5 months in the off season to get ours done. Now 6 trips after that all they worked on turned to ****. Mainly the slide cAbles i am removing to repair the missed aligned pulley system installed. I see a video on youtube in my future

Way to go camping world and keystone hope you both go bankrupt

chuckster57
09-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Way to go camping world and keystone hope you both go bankrupt

I wouldn't be so quick to wish ill on Keystone. If the repair wasn't done correctly you can't blame keystone. The dealer on the other hand.....skilled, competent techs aren't a "dime a dozen". I'm not in anyway trying to bash or defend the dealer that did the work, but as a person that has worked on cable driven slides, they aren't all that simple.

robo
09-11-2016, 09:37 AM
I understand but basic thangs like if a moveable cable touches something it will wear and fray also break. Pics and vids to come

robo
09-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Here is the start

robo
09-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Hereis another

robo
09-13-2016, 07:48 PM
How can thos not be covered the install manul says it has to be 1 inch away from the frame

sportingrh
07-30-2017, 09:00 AM
I would say worse experience I have ever had, the dealership wants to sell. If the dealership did a pdi really they could improve customer satisfaction. The camping world I bought mine the didn't know what they were selling or how it worked.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Froglaw
08-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Stuck in Fairbanks Alaska with spotty communication from Keystone warranty. Owned the Travel Trailer less than 6 months - purchased new in February 2017.
Suspension spring (one leaf) broke on the Dalton Highway). Looks like I'm paying the $3500 towing charges myself. Can't seem to get the "parts guy" at Keystone to ship a new assembly overnight so I can get home. #disappointed

rjrelander
08-02-2017, 09:34 AM
You didn't say what you are pulling but leaf springs through eTrailer are anywhere from $20 to $80 plus about $110 to $270 for same day shipping to Fairbanks. I don't suppose that's overnight however and not sure if any of the eTrailer leaf springs are direct replacements for any of the Keystone trailers. It's Alaska though, you might be able to find a local trailer shop in the Fairbanks area that will hook you up with something equivalent (or even better) to get you back on the road and home.

EDIT: Is $3500 the rate for putting your rig up on a flatbed and shipping it from Fairbanks to Dallas? I'm not familiar with the rates or what would be involved in doing something like that if that is what you are talking about. I remember meeting a family while traveling in Alaska back in 1982. They were waiting for transmission parts for their motor home and living in a gravel pit off of the main highway while they waited.

EDIT EDIT: Sorry, just noticed that it broke on the Dalton Highway. That's one long bad-a$$ stretch of road. It's usually in pretty good condition though unless you hit a rough spot. Did you take it all the way north or just part way out and back? How far did you travel with the broken leaf before you got to Fairbanks?

Froglaw
08-02-2017, 08:01 PM
I drove all the way to Deadhorse - No problems.

This is a 2017 26RPRB Premier Bullet purchased in late February 2017 just for this trip and the warranties/road side services as part of the purchase package.

In Deadhorse I developed two flats that were remedied by the spare and a patching of a deflated tire. I bought an additional spare for the trip back.

Stopped at Coldfoot RV with no problems.

Between Coldfoot and Yukon Camp at MM 125 the right side leaf springs (both) broke.

I had to leave the trailer on the Dalton Highway and drive into Fairbanks in my F250.

I immediately contacted Keystone and despite initial enthusiasm and reassurances, Keystone left it up to me to solve the problems when the Customer Service Rep could not find a Towing Company that would go get my trailer.

I found a flatbed and paid $5302 to get the trailer to Alaska RV. Keystone promised they would pay the towing, but has refused to acknowledge my repeated emails and oral requests to assure payment.

As for a pair of replacement springs, Keystone has dragged their feet blaming Alaska RV and Keystone's warranty procedures as an excuse for the delay.

Keystone told Alaska RV that there may not be any replacement leaf springs in stock (31 inch single leaf with double eyelets) and there will be a further delay if Keystone has to go to its supplier for the parts.

Finally, this morning, I got on the internet and found four 30 inch 4 leaf springs that will work to get me back on the road. I purchased them and had them shipped overnight to Alaska RV for another $432.

I've been paying $135 per night to stay in a dog friendly hotel since last Sunday night.

The only way I can seem to reach my Customer Service Rep is through the main phone menu as she has failed to answer my calls to her direct line or return my telephone calls and emails.

Frustration with this non-process and non-assistance is now running high. Mainly because any movement on solving my problem has been initiated by myself or Alaska RV.

Alaska RV is staffed by some tremendous people and are the only reason I have not cleaned out my trailer, shipped everything home, given them the trailer to sell on consignment and driven home via hotels and cabins on the Alcan.

Not a pleasant experience.

cvin
08-03-2017, 12:05 AM
that totally sucks, so sorry you are having to deal with that, unreal

hope you are back on the road soon and have no more problems

good luck

rjrelander
08-03-2017, 03:33 AM
Wow. Thanks for following up and sorry for all your troubles. I can't even begin to imagine. It's beautiful country but unforgiving when things go wrong. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure. Wish I could be of any help. Good luck, you are due!

sportingrh
08-12-2017, 04:39 PM
I bought mine at CW in calera Al. All that's keeping mine at dealership is a awning that came loose from camper, and a toilet that's leaking they said it was ball valve. These are not hard items to fix but makes camper unusable. Would be glad to pay to get fixed, would be better than having a rv your paying for and not being able to use to it.

CaptnJohn
08-12-2017, 08:43 PM
We rarely travel during June/July/August. Guess when dealers are most busy! The CW I use for service, warranty, and repairs would like it much better if I would take my Montana home and bring it back when parts arrive as they can use all the available space during summer months. Why bring it home when I'm not going to use it and make another 90 mile trip? This is especially true as the day pats arrive I get a call telling me it will be available ~~ some times same day. For many non-warranty repairs I have a mobile tech that will come to the storage lot ~ his travel cost is not much more than mine to CW. CW in Myrtle Beach has been great!

sportingrh
08-25-2017, 07:35 PM
We rarely travel during June/July/August. Guess when dealers are most busy! The CW I use for service, warranty, and repairs would like it much better if I would take my Montana home and bring it back when parts arrive as they can use all the available space during summer months. Why bring it home when I'm not going to use it and make another 90 mile trip? This is especially true as the day pats arrive I get a call telling me it will be available ~~ some times same day. For many non-warranty repairs I have a mobile tech that will come to the storage lot ~ his travel cost is not much more than mine to CW. CW in Myrtle Beach has been great!Well got my camper back from CW everything except leveling working good. But then I plug my power and pop crackle smoke. The wires at receptical were not tight came loose shorted, blew converter. Having to replace receptical, and converter so I can go camping. When I picked up camping they told me anything else with have to wait till after oct. So I bought the parts fixed it. At least I found it before it burnt to ground.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

cvin
08-25-2017, 09:21 PM
and i thought my week was sucking lol

so sorry to hear that, feel for you

wishing you no more problems

TNT Miller
08-25-2017, 11:41 PM
Same happened to us with our 2013 Laredo 266RL
Camping World had it more than we did for the first 18 months . I was able to convince them to kick down some gift cards for the delay. I was making the monthly payments -insurance and tags so I felt I needed to be compensated.