PDA

View Full Version : Towing across Wyoming and Utah

kancop
05-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Hi all. . .Any veterans towing across wyoming and Utah along I-80? Heading from Kansas to California this summer with the family. Pulling a Passport 300BH, about 6000# with a V10 Excursion, 3.73 gear, Ride Rite AB, Eaz-
Lift WDH.

Have some concerns about mountains and grades along I-80 between Denver and Salt Lake City.

Love any thoughts or experience.

bsmith0404
05-22-2015, 04:51 PM
You won't even come close to Denver, I 80 is 90 miles north. You actually have more of a drop in elevation than rise going across WY. Several hill, but nothing I would call a mountain pass. I've gone across WY and UT several times, wind is your biggest concern.

You will have two drops that you need to take it easy on, truckers use a lower gear and reduced speed limits. The first is just before Laramie, the other is just before Salt Lake City. If you take 287 from Ft Collins to Laramie, you'll bypass the first one. I've only traveled 287 a couple times on motorcycle, pretty ride. I don't remember any steep grades along that route that would be a concern. As long as you take it easy, you'll be fine on both. Enjoy your trip.

chuckster57
05-22-2015, 05:21 PM
If your on I-80 going west, there is one NASTY climb just West of Park City Utah. It may have other names, but I remember it being the Park City Grade. I did it in '09, towing 12,000+ pounds of fifth wheel, 90 degree weather and 40+mph head winds.

Once you get to the top, its a long slow drop to SLC. If bsmith is talking about a different route to skip this, you might consider it. My truck in sig pulled this hill in 1st gear @13MPH, pulling the Jayco in sig.

kancop
05-22-2015, 05:33 PM
You won't even come close to Denver, I 80 is 90 miles north.

If you take 287 from Ft Collins to Laramie, you'll bypass the first one. I've only traveled 287 a couplbe times on motorcycle, pretty ride. I don't remember any steep grades along that route that would be a concern. As long as you take it easy, you'll be fine on both. Enjoy your trip.

We will go North from I -70 at Denver up thru Ft Collins. Thanks for the help all. This is helpful

bsmith0404
05-22-2015, 05:45 PM
If your on I-80 going west, there is one NASTY climb just West of Park City Utah. It may have other names, but I remember it being the Park City Grade. I did it in '09, towing 12,000+ pounds of fifth wheel, 90 degree weather and 40+mph head winds.

Once you get to the top, its a long slow drop to SLC. If bsmith is talking about a different route to skip this, you might consider it. My truck in sig pulled this hill in 1st gear @13MPH, pulling the Jayco in sig.

Same grade I was talking about. It's a pretty good climb. I guess I never thought much about it because my truck didn't have any problems with it. There is a good truck lane though. I remember the other side better, I believe it is about 5 miles down at 6 or 7%. The exhaust brake kicks in pretty good on that drop. The other route bypasses Laramie pass not this one.

kancop
05-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Same grade I was talking about. It's a pretty good climb. I guess I never thought much about it because my truck didn't have any problems with it. There is a good truck lane though. I remember the other side better, I believe it is about 5 miles down at 6 or 7%. The exhaust brake kicks in pretty good on that drop. The other route bypasses Laramie pass not this one.

If I take it easy sounds like I can make it fine. I am in no hurry! I am sure the kids will disagree....

kancop
05-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Chuckster. . . thanks for putting in your time as a LEO. I will hit 23years this July.

chuckster57
05-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Chuckster. . . thanks for putting in your time as a LEO. I will hit 23years this July.

Thank-you for your service too.
When I did that hill it was HOT, my truck only has 230HP and about 350 lb/ft of torque. The Jayco was probably 13,000 pounds with all the "stuff" collected on our cross country trip. Me, wife, sister in law and my cat in cab, tool box and gen in bed, and had to keep the A/C on for the furry friend.

I hit that hill @75 MPH and was down to 13 in less than 1/4 mile. When I crested the gauges said ECT 235, Trans 247, and exhaust gases were 1225 the whole way up.

kancop
05-22-2015, 06:45 PM
When I did that hill it was HOT. . .I hit that hill @75 MPH and was down to 13 in less than 1/4 mile. When I crested the gauges said ECT 235, Trans 247, and exhaust gases were 1225 the whole way up.

Wow. That is a good climb. what computer do you use for your diagnostics?

chuckster57
05-22-2015, 06:58 PM
My truck is a mechanical diesel. No computer except for the transmission, so I have 5 gauges on the pillar
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_172609_0_1594228c6d2c45fc38d4f6545d993903.jpg

bsmith0404
05-22-2015, 07:02 PM
I use an Edge CTS, plugs right into the OBDII port and has great gauges and options for gauges. I'm sure they have one for your truck. I also got the dash pod so I could mount directly to the dash, looks like it was made there.

kancop
05-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Nice. . .:)

bsmith0404
05-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Here's a pic, sorry it's so dark

kancop
05-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Here's a pic, sorry it's so dark

Is it BlueTooth or wired? I like the looks of it.

hankaye
05-23-2015, 06:54 AM
chuckster57, Howdy;

The hill you may be referring to is about 500' in total elevation and that
is over 5.3 miles from Kimball Junction ... now the downhill starts there at
Summit Park and can be a thrill if you let it. It's about 10.5 miles till the
split with I-215 and the elevation drop is close to 2,000' (near 7,000 to
slightly below 5,000).
A gentler route would be to go North on I-84 and connect to I-15 S . It's
a bit longer but your knuckles won't suffer from blood loss for as long...
Driver's choice ... depends on what your mode is 'Hurry' or 'Slow-n-easy'.

285 to Laramie is a Beautiful drive! Did it with my 5th wheel zero
complications very relaxing.

hankaye

bsmith0404
05-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Is it BlueTooth or wired? I like the looks of it.

Wired, plugs into the OBDII port under the dash. Has about 20 different options of what guages to display different screens to monitor and alarms you can set for limits on different guages. It is not a programmer, only a monitor, but it can clear codes. Can also see what each injector is doing so it can help with diagnostics. I monitor trans temp, exhaust temp, coolant temp, oil pressure, and fuel rail pressure. I know most of those guages are on the dash as well, but this is more accurate and I don't have to worry about where I set the tilt, I can always see them. The fuel rail pressure helps with improving fuel mileage, the lower the pressure, the lower the demand for fuel

bsmith0404
05-23-2015, 08:28 AM
In addition, to go along with another thread, it has a DPF guage as well :)

kancop
05-23-2015, 09:46 AM
chuckster57, Howdy;

The hill you may be referring to is about 500' in total elevation and that
is over 5.3 miles from Kimball Junction ... now the downhill starts there at
Summit Park and can be a thrill if you let it. It's about 10.5 miles till the
split with I-215 and the elevation drop is close to 2,000' (near 7,000 to
slightly below 5,000).
A gentler route would be to go North on I-84 and connect to I-15 S . It's
a bit longer but your knuckles won't suffer from blood loss for as long...
Driver's choice ... depends on what your mode is 'Hurry' or 'Slow-n-easy'.

285 to Laramie is a Beautiful drive! Did it with my 5th wheel zero
complications very relaxing.

hankaye

Going to look at that route now. I am inclined to go slow and easy.

kancop
05-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Any thoughts on winds in July? That is a secondary concern of mine.

bsmith0404
05-23-2015, 12:52 PM
July usually isn't too bad. The trick with WY is to get as far as you can early morning

koko
05-23-2015, 02:00 PM
There are two major sets of grades between Cheyenne and Salt Lake City. If you're on I-80 you can't avoid either of them (even if you go I-25 to Ft. Collins to Laramie). The first is between Laramie and Rawlins, WY. The locals call it Elk Mountain. It's a 90 mile stretch. The second is between Lyman, WY and Evanston. This one is called The Sisters, and it's about 30 miles. We travel both all the time - we've lived here 35 years, and you just can't avoid them. In the summer there's no problem at all. You'll sometimes encounter 35+ MPH winds (very common) at any time. There are 3 lanes along the steepest sections of both. You'll be fine.

Between Park City and SLC you'll go down Parley's Canyon. When my brother was driving his motor home down it and we were talking by walkie talkies back in the day, he asked if it would ever end!

kancop
05-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Being from Kansas we have plenty of wind. Gusts up to 50 mph are not uncommon. Driving is no fun but just a way of life. . . just the way it is on the plains. I am getting a much getting better feel for what we will encounter.

bsmith0404
05-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Being from Kansas we have plenty of wind. Gusts up to 50 mph are not uncommon. Driving is no fun but just a way of life. . . just the way it is on the plains. I am getting a much getting better feel for what we will encounter.

Have made several runs across WY I will say I don't even think twice about the hills. Of course I do have the exhaust brake which helps out a lot on the down grades, but I still can't think of anything on that stretch that I would call a major concern especially if you are planning to take it slow and easy. I 80 gets a lot of semi traffic, it was built for that.

Shadowcats
05-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Yup gotta love the wind in both WY and KS...sway control really helps, but can't do anything about the gas mileage. We just got back from a trip to Reno and back...first long trip with the new 36 ft TT. Of course we encountered, wind, rain, snow, sun, and then the same thing all over again. The fender skirts didn't fair too well, but hey it is what it is. Have great trips and be safe...happy travel.