PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Weekend

GaryWT
05-19-2015, 07:06 AM
Well it is finally Memorial Day weekend, we have Friday off so we will head out early to get a jump on the weekend. Heading to NH to Mi Te Jo, can't wait.

What is everyone else doing?

Happy Camping.

BirchyBoy
05-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Yay for long weekends! My office is closing at 1:00, so I'll be heading out soon thereafter. We're going to Cherry Creek State Park here in CO. Hopefully the rainy weather will be gone by then. It's our first weekend with the new mattress as well! Woo hoo!

bsmith0404
05-19-2015, 07:12 AM
I'm going to be spending the weekend doing some landscaping, getting the camper ready to go, watching the Indy 500 and Coke 600, and finally heading out Monday morning for a week of camping in Pagosa Springs, CO.

sourdough
05-19-2015, 08:15 AM
We will be sitting here in this little campground in Panacea, FL where we've been since April 1. We missed the Sopchoppy worm grunting contest:( when it was rained out so think we'll head over to one of the small fishing villages for a Suwanee river festival of some sort. We did make the Panacea Blue Crab festival the first week of May"bouncey:

RikChar
05-19-2015, 05:29 PM
We also have Friday off so we are heading out early to go to NH to Terrace Pines to be at the lake for the long awaited weekend for some well deserved
R&R after this past winter.

As GaryWT said "Happy Camping"

Tbos
05-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Williamsburg VA. Cheatham Annex campground Thursday to Monday. Water Country USA, Jamestown, Yorktown, etc...

byrdr1
05-19-2015, 05:45 PM
chilling at the house, we just back from a week at the beach.. gotto spend saturday night

with Ana coming ashore.

340_Formula_S
05-20-2015, 02:35 AM
Heading to Level Cross, NC to attend Pettyfest at Richard Petty's place.

ImTravis
05-20-2015, 04:11 AM
Heading out to Barren River State Park in Kentucky. Going to enjoy the weekend with Bourbon and friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sevins
05-20-2015, 04:33 AM
Heading out tomorrow to Heritage Cove, Raystown Lake in PA. Never been there before but the owner has been super nice. Its on the lake and they rent boats at the campground.

JRTJH
05-20-2015, 04:39 AM
As in years past, since we live in the "recreation area" of Michigan, we'll be staying home and watching the thousands of "tourists" who will be coming into our area to spend the weekend. All of the campgrounds will be filled to capacity, the ATV trails filled with dust, the restaurants filled with diners and the stores filled with shoppers in shorts, flip flops and thick wallets. On Monday afternoon, when the campgrounds start thinning out, we'll start packing for our first week long trip, probably to a great "fishing lake" a couple miles from the house.

But as for the weekend, family will be coming in to spend the weekend, so we'll be doing some "garage sales", lots of food, sitting around the fire in the back yard and enjoy remembering "back when" while sharing the laughs and memories. Ahhhhh, life is good :)

Oh, filled up with diesel yesterday, there's already a 10 cent increase. Anybody taking bets that it will be 30-50 cents a gallon more by Friday??? :banghead:

bsmith0404
05-20-2015, 04:53 AM
That reminds me I need to go fill up the tanks. 30-50 cents is huge when getting 100 gallons! I will also be looking for my favorite Memorial Day movies such as Midway, Tora Tora Tora. Maybe go to some local event. Although I have to admit after 25 years of being on active duty and involved with some event or another, I'm looking forward to doing nothing. Of course, as a vet, I'll never forget what the day is about.

crash
05-20-2015, 04:59 AM
I am giving most of my mechanics off and will cover the break down phone calls :DOnly bad thing about that is now I have to pull up some scrubs and bushes and open the pool:( Oh well dw will be happy and you know what that means (HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE :D:D)

GmaPaTime
05-20-2015, 05:01 AM
As in years past, since we live in the "recreation area" of Michigan, we'll be staying home and watching the thousands of "tourists" who will be coming into our area to spend the weekend. All of the campgrounds will be filled to capacity, the ATV trails filled with dust, the restaurants filled with diners and the stores filled with shoppers in shorts, flip flops and thick wallets. On Monday afternoon, when the campgrounds start thinning out, we'll start packing for our first week long trip, probably to a great "fishing lake" a couple miles from the house.

But as for the weekend, family will be coming in to spend the weekend, so we'll be doing some "garage sales", lots of food, sitting around the fire in the back yard and enjoy remembering "back when" while sharing the laughs and memories. Ahhhhh, life is good :)

Oh, filled up with diesel yesterday, there's already a 10 cent increase. Anybody taking bets that it will be 30-50 cents a gallon more by Friday??? :banghead:

Noticed that yesterday also.... Up 9 cents from the day before and if history holds true, you right, it will be up Friday, double that amount.

Heading out Friday to Newport News CG with some friends and grandkids. Looking forward to the fishing and relaxation time. :D

chuckster57
05-20-2015, 05:19 AM
We make it a point not to camp on holiday weekends, too many people. I will be spending Sat morning with a bunch of fellow retirees at a range doings annual qualifications for CCW.

GmaPaTime
05-20-2015, 05:58 AM
We make it a point not to camp on holiday weekends, too many people. I will be spending Sat morning with a bunch of fellow retirees at a range doings annual qualifications for CCW.

You're right for not camping during holidays. Most places are packed solid, noisy and the strange ones come out. :D

We don't normally, but for some friends, it was the only time they could go.

Steve

PS: As a retired PO, you still need to have an annual qualification for CCW?

chuckster57
05-20-2015, 11:18 AM
PS: As a retired PO, you still need to have an annual qualification for CCW?

Have to prove I can still hit the paper once a year, have to reapply for permit every 5 years.

GaryWT
05-20-2015, 12:36 PM
I know the holidays can be crazy but at the right campground it can be fun plus you get the extra day without burning a vacation day. In addition to this weekend we will be out on the 4th, Labor Day and most likely Columbus Day. Fun to watch some of those who only go out once or twice a year.

chuckster57
05-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Last time I camped on a holiday weekend was in about 1996. I paid for my space, and the first night there was so many people acting a fool, I didn't get to sleep until early morning.

Woke up to a tent pitched about 3 feet from my slide and a campfire started for breakfast about 1 1/2 feet from my slide. Since they clearly were with a LARGE crowd of people, I wasn't going to risk jail to keep my spot. I will admit that I closed up everything, and hitched up. Just before I pulled out of my spot I pulled all three dump valves and filled the tent and doused the campfire.

bsmith0404
05-21-2015, 04:43 AM
Last time I camped on a holiday weekend was in about 1996. I paid for my space, and the first night there was so many people acting a fool, I didn't get to sleep until early morning.

Woke up to a tent pitched about 3 feet from my slide and a campfire started for breakfast about 1 1/2 feet from my slide. Since they clearly were with a LARGE crowd of people, I wasn't going to risk jail to keep my spot. I will admit that I closed up everything, and hitched up. Just before I pulled out of my spot I pulled all three dump valves and filled the tent and doused the campfire.

Now that would have been entertaining to watch. I may just start camping on holidays just for the entertainment factor :p

mamawildbear
05-21-2015, 09:12 PM
We always camp holiday weekends. It's the extra night camping that is the big draw for us. Our plans were almost a bust this year. We had hoped to stay pretty local at a lake just 45 minutes from us. The trouble was all of the reservable sites were booked way early, leaving just walk-ins. We figured we'd do what we normally do and show up Thursday am, pay for the extra night, which would go unused but reserve our site. Well, everyone else had the same plan but they started booking Mon, Tues, etc. You've got a whole bunch of people booking and paying for the entire week, just to secure the weekend. So Wednesday after lunch my friend calls and says there are only 5 sites left and she's going to get them then and there. We needed 2 sites and by the time she got there 45 minutes later, there was only one site left. ARRRGGGGHHHH!

We searched all over the place with no luck whatsoever and finally her husband gets a return call from an RV park in Llano, TX that has 2 sites available. Got our confirmation this am. Whew! I hope it's nice. And I hope the weather holds out.

Riverway RV Park (http://www.riverwayrvpark.com)

frano
05-22-2015, 04:19 AM
We'll be at Pine Hollow Campground in Pownal, VT this weekend. We have been doing the MA Samboree in Greenfield, MA. in the past but decided to change it up this Memorial Day.

glenalt
05-22-2015, 06:24 AM
Headed out for Creekside Rv Park in Maggie Valley, NC. We got one of the premium sites on the Creek, shade and water. You can't beat that. Going to be there for 8 days. Y'all have fun!

sourdough
05-22-2015, 08:08 AM

Yep, that was about the time we quit.

First night of a holiday weekend we were camped in a remote area of the forest on a creek. Unluckily it was where a bunch of rowdy drunks (druggies) decided to play the fool next to us and kept us up all night by blaring loud music (Boston) and getting stuck in the creek next to us. I returned the favor at about 4am (blaring music) as we were breaking camp to leave and find another spot. They were not happy with me and decided to come pay me a visit. It ended with them bouncing toward me in the truck that had been stuck in the creek beside us all night and me walking toward them with weapons in my shoulder and hip holsters. When they saw me they retreated immediately. About an hour later we left and drove thru their camp (we had to to get out). They were all passed out in various postitions of disarray.

That was the last holiday weekend we camped anywhere. We now go to our home in the mountains and stay put until the mayhem in our little mountain town dies down and the touristas go home (we bought that vacation house the year after the above incident and directly because of it).

Javi
05-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Yep, that was about the time we quit.

First night of a holiday weekend we were camped in a remote area of the forest on a creek. Unluckily it was where a bunch of rowdy drunks (druggies) decided to play the fool next to us and kept us up all night by blaring loud music (Boston) and getting stuck in the creek next to us. I returned the favor at about 4am (blaring music) as we were breaking camp to leave and find another spot. They were not happy with me and decided to come pay me a visit. It ended with them bouncing toward me in the truck that had been stuck in the creek beside us all night and me walking toward them with weapons in my shoulder and hip holsters. When they saw me they retreated immediately. About an hour later we left and drove thru their camp (we had to to get out). They were all passed out in various postitions of disarray.

That was the last holiday weekend we camped anywhere. We now go to our home in the mountains and stay put until the mayhem in our little mountain town dies down and the touristas go home (we bought that vacation house the year after the above incident and directly because of it).

We don't go anywhere on holidays except the week between Christmas and New Years that we spend at Goose Island SP.. But that park is well regulated and fun ain't allowed... :D

Desert185
05-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Staying home hosting friends with a motorhome camping on our property, with baby backs in the smoker tomorrow. PRICELESS!

Lest we forget... I will also be remembering the reason the the holiday is named Memorial Day.

:USA2:

sourdough
05-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Desert - x2 on remembrance..............

Murphsmom
05-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Returned today from a ten day trip from western Idaho to the Black Hills in South Dakota. We are glad to be relaxing at home for the holiday.

Going to Mount Rushmore before Memorial Day meant far smaller crowds, but it also meant waking up at the RV park outside of Deadwood with four inches of snow on our roof on Wednesday!

GaryWT
05-23-2015, 07:19 AM
So far weekend is good. It was quiet last night. We arrived 10:30 in the morning and very few were here. So far so good, just having fun.

byrdr1
05-24-2015, 03:40 AM
Same here as far as this weekend goes.
We are at home with a big cookout(50 +/-minus folks) planned for Sunday evening. Worked in and around the yard all day. worked on the camper, the golfcart, planted flowers and mowed two yards.
And Just renewed my CCW and working on the wife to get her's.
HAve great weekend and remember this weekend is for all out fallen Hero's who have allowed us this freedom.
Randy

gtsum2
05-25-2015, 07:11 PM
We arrived Friday at noon and will be heading back home Tuesday morning. It was perfect weather here in central va for camping