PDA

View Full Version : To Indy 500

gearhead
05-16-2015, 04:08 AM
We just got back from the NASCAR races at Bristol, TN. and Richmond, VA. All cleaned up and repacking for the Indy 500. Here is what we have planned, let me know if there is someplace we just have to see, or somewhere we should eat:
Houston to Texarkana (Shady Pines RV), to Hayti MO. (KOA?), Terre Haute IN. (KOA) We will see a USAC Sprint Car race at Terre Haute Wed. night. Then on to Indy. After the race, down to Bardstown, KY. (White Acres RV) for another distillery tour. Then to Townsend TN., (Cove Mtn. RV) for some Smoky Mtn. trout fishing. After that???
Anyone have a must see place, or ya gotta eat here suggestion?

Zapper
05-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Today you have the Hoosier Hundred, USAC Silver Crown at the State Fairgrounds and Saturday Silver Crowns are at Lucas Oil Raceway, the site of the NHRA US Nationals. Both places are a within 15 miles of IMS. Hope you enjoy my old stomping grounds. I grew up on Indy's west side and worked 35 years at Allison Transmission, which is 6 blocks south of IMS.

Laredo291OH
05-21-2015, 10:54 AM
If you want to drive a couple of hours, Sunday the 24th, Eldora Speedway has a regular night of racing, 360 sprints, modifieds and stocks. They don't have anything big until June 4 and 5 for the Late Model Dream. There are little dirt tracks all over that part of Indiana.

bsmith0404
05-21-2015, 12:22 PM
If you want to head into AL, one of my favorite stops is the Talladega Short Track. As a NASCAR fan who hits different locations you may have already been there. If not, they put on a great show Saturday night with several different classes of late models from crate LMs to super LMs. Only about a mile down the road fro the super speedway, the museum there is a must see.

hankaye
05-22-2015, 06:10 AM
gearhead, Howdy;

The others can give you race schedules, I'll give you a few spots to get some grub.

In central Il.
http://foothipies.com/BSC_Main.htm

Scattered through Mo.
www.throwedrolls.com

hankaye

gearhead
05-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Saw both Silver Crown races. Both were great. That historical one mile dirt track at the fairground is awesome. Seeing those cars come out of turn 4 sideways, throwing dirt, with the sunset behind them will be remembered as long as I have a memory. Both races had outstanding drivers come from the back of the field. Now I have to see the mile dirt track at Springfield.
I need to get to Talledega.
Saw Indy practice and the Indy Lites race.
Spent this afternoon watching the parade on Georgetown Ave.....cowgirl boots and short shorts!!!
Highly recommend Indy lot 4a premium on Georgetown Ave. Gravel with 50 amps. No generator symphony.
Some kids had too much tanglefoot but police are everywhere.

gearhead
05-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Also....we have tickets for USAC Four Crown races at Eldora. We went 2 years ago and enjoyed it except the track dusted so bad we could barely see the backstretch. I'll give Mr. Stewart one more try at it.
Indy 500 tomorrow!!

gearhead
05-24-2015, 03:49 AM
Today you have the Hoosier Hundred, USAC Silver Crown at the State Fairgrounds and Saturday Silver Crowns are at Lucas Oil Raceway, the site of the NHRA US Nationals. Both places are a within 15 miles of IMS. Hope you enjoy my old stomping grounds. I grew up on Indy's west side and worked 35 years at Allison Transmission, which is 6 blocks south of IMS.
I rode the bicycle down Georgetown Ave past the circle to where Dawson's, Rolling in the Dough, BBQ & Bourbon are. Looks like a major urban renovation going on. Pretty nice. Saw AJ Foyts new shop and his wine bar. Wouldn't have expected that. Bicycle is a good way to get around with all the crowds and traffic.
This rv lot is just north of turn 4, so I'm not in the middle of the craziness, but close enough to the track. The high cost keeps the rowdy kids out, the gate guard helps too.

bsmith0404
05-24-2015, 04:16 AM
sounds like an awesome trip.

gearhead
05-24-2015, 02:03 PM
sounds like an awesome trip.

Yeah, pretty good. Actually a decent race for IRL. Or, as Bobby Unser calls them: slot cars. The drivers are pushing buttons on a computer. I'll be back for the 100th running next year. I still like sprints and Silver Crowns better.
Now, to Kentucky and on to the Smokies, where I have a 2 day fly fishing school waiting for me.

cjelliott81
06-01-2015, 04:45 AM
I'd just like to state for the record that the trip your on sounds like what dreams are made of. Hope your having a blast!

gearhead
06-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks! Headed home tomorrow. See how high the river is and if the birds are eating my tomatoes! Lol