PDA

View Full Version : Brake question with Chevy IBC

Campy
05-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Towing our 5th wheel with our "new to us" 2008 Silverado truck with the IBC (integrated brake controller) I find that I have to max it out to 10 to get any decent braking at all. On our old truck with a Tekonsha controller we only had to have it set at 4.7 and had good brakes. Are the IBC's just not that good or should I adjust the brakes on the trailer tighter? Right now the brakes are adjusted to 8 "clicks" loose.

GaryWT
05-13-2015, 05:45 PM
On our previous truck we has a draw tite controller and always had it between 1.5 and 2.5 and it worked great. When I got the new truck it was the same as you, all the way up to 10 and in front of the house it did not seem to work well. Over the past one plus years of towing I have it now set at 6. Why? Because the trailer brakes will lock up so quickly causing a smoke show. This has happened on the highway when someone has cut me off or if a light turns red while traveling 30-40. Last week had quite a smoke show pulling up to a light so I lowered it to 6. Hopefully that will be good going forward.