PDA

View Full Version : has anyone added backup lights to their camper?

B-O-B'03
05-11-2015, 10:34 PM
It seems that we are always pulling in after dark and I found the 7 wire connector on our F150 has backup light labeled on one of the pins so I was thinking of adding 2 to 4 high powered LED lights, maybe something like these (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G620ZVU?psc=1).

I was thinking a pair on either side of the A frame, pointing out and back and another pair maybe on the back bumper.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

-Brian

jsmith948
05-12-2015, 04:11 AM
We put b/u lights on the bumper of our 5er. Went with rectangular lights from Tractor Supply ($20 each). Nice to be able to see back there. Still need to add some lights to illuminate the trailer wheels. Not sure if I will tie them into the b/u lights or put them on a separate switch. Nice to be able to see tires/curbs when maneuvering forward as well as backing in a tight campground or driveway.

kampfitt
05-12-2015, 05:49 AM
That's how I put them on our 5th wheel 1 pair beside front landing gear 2nd pair under rear bumper at 45' angle, on a switch in drivers side front compartment wired to house battery. You need to stop and check site before you back in anyways just turn on as you go buy to ck. site and leave on to unhitch and set up. Very Handy!

cjm
05-12-2015, 03:25 PM
I mounted a 24 inch LED light bar on the rear of the trailer near the roof. It's tied into the reverse wiring, but I can also turn it on with a switch when we are parked. Makes night set up as easy as day, and is a great set up light or work light when camped.

Here is the bar I used.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RV83UUG/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1431473014&sr=1&keywords=24+led+light+bar

Some may argue a bit of overkill.... but I like it.

sagebel
05-12-2015, 03:54 PM
I have taken my lighting pretty far. I added a 6-pin connector to the trailer and TV. Three pins are used for the wired camera and one other is wired to the backup lights in the TV bumper and under the dually fenders. On the trailer the same circuit runs the spot light atop the ladder that can illuminate behind the trailer or the flag pole mounted to the tire carrier when parked. I also have LED flood light at all four corners that light the stabilizers and tires. All of these lights can be turned on from one of the Aux switches inside the truck or separate switches inside the front pass through. The light on the ladder is on it's own circuit so that I can light the flag without lighting the entire area around the trailer.

cospilot
05-12-2015, 04:33 PM
i got you all beat! i have 1200 led lights under my trailer connected to the docking light switch.
i have no problem backing it up, seeing what i am running over or working the jacks.
this pic shows the setup. the rear of the camper does not look as bright because the lights are shining on the blacktop and grass verses the cement on my driveway.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/08/a80918002e48417f8cbe70b091fb660b.jpg

homer3
05-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Cospilot - what type of lighting did you buy, where from, and how did you mount

cospilot
05-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Cospilot - what type of lighting did you buy, where from, and how did you mount

amazon.com if you look around on there they have a lot of choices. each 300 led strip was about 6 bucks if i recall. but it is very important that you make sure its water resistant. you can tell if you look closely at the actual product it will have a layer of clear silicone over the lights and other components on the strip.
they won't last long without this coating.
anyway obviously i got them in white.
you can connect 2 strips together to make 600 and they end up just about exactly the right length with a little extra left over on each side with 2 strips on each side of my 32 BHPR.

if you look under the camper you'll see the I beams that run front to back. there are some metal attachment points that span over the i beams with enough room to run a continuos strip all the way down front to rear uninterrupted along the bottom side of the top of the beam right under the floor.
i attached with a 3/4 inch wide strip of 3M 2 sided foam tape (all weather)
while the strips come with 2 sided adhesive there is no way they will stick to the bare metal, but the 3M will stick to it very well and the strips once you remove the protective tape stick well but the sticky that comes on the strips themselves doesn't stick that great.
i left it intact but i know that if i have issues with it coming loose all i have to do is peel it all off and redo it, taking the sticky off the strips, and attaching them directly to the 3m.
they can't really fall off because they pass through about a dozen or more brackets in regular intervals along the way.
they draw about 5 amps total.

i also did the multi color LED strips on the awning. i was shocked to find i could buy the entire kit with remote and controller for about 30 bucks on amazon where as the dealer wanted 220 for the same thing.

schwalbach
05-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Attached is another example-under awning and under trailer, mine are 110v on a timer