PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizers

jkohler70
05-11-2015, 04:49 AM
This is pretty minor, and unplanned, but last year I caught my rear stabilizer on my retaining wall while pulling out of the driveway. I bought 2 Husky 6500 # stabilizer jacks off of Amazon (had a gift card) to replace the rear ones.
The difference between the cheap China jacks and the new ones is incredible. I realize the weight rating is higher, but the quality and sturdiness is a huge upgrade. They probably weigh 4X more than what I removed.
I am looking forward to finding out if this also increases the stability.

SkiSmuggs
05-11-2015, 09:40 AM
This is pretty minor, and unplanned, but last year I caught my rear stabilizer on my retaining wall while pulling out of the driveway. I bought 2 Husky 6500 # stabilizer jacks off of Amazon (had a gift card) to replace the rear ones.
The difference between the cheap China jacks and the new ones is incredible. I realize the weight rating is higher, but the quality and sturdiness is a huge upgrade. They probably weigh 4X more than what I removed.
I am looking forward to finding out if this also increases the stability.
Are they bolt on? Come back and let us know about stability.

jkohler70
05-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Yes. The bracket holes were spaced the same vertically, but not horizontally. I had to drill the 2 matching holes larger for the new bolts, then drill new holes on the opposite side.

One thing that concerned me about the old ones is how weakly they were attached. Each side was attached with 2 self-tapping and 2 bolts/nuts. On one side, the self-tapping screws broke off with little torque. The new bolts required 11/32" pilot holes, so they are quite beefy.