PDA

View Full Version : Leveling your trailer

Ladyhawke
04-30-2015, 06:04 PM
I was wondering how you all tell when your trailer is level. We can put a level on several different places in and around the trailer (on tongue, on frame, on bumper, inside front storage compartment, inside trailer near door) and get so many different readings. I put the level on the floor inside the trailer in 3 different spots with different results each time. Camping this week I think we are pretty dead on level but still get different readings. Just curious what your thoughts are on this subject.

chuckster57
04-30-2015, 06:15 PM
A level refrigerator is the most important. You can get small bubble levels that you can attach to the corners of the trailer to check side to side and front to back quickly.

I would suggest setting a circle level in the freezer, and then using a floor jack on the low side frame, jack it up at the axles until level. At that point attach the side to side level on the front or rear corner of the trailer.

Then using the tongue jack, get the bubble dead center again and then attach the front to rear level on the front or rear side edge.

When I bought my fiver I used a 6' level on the floor in the kitchen to get perfectly level, checked my refer and found it close enough and then attached my levels. Since I have a fifth wheel, I was able to attach the level to the pin box. Been good for three years now.

Bowhunter
04-30-2015, 06:19 PM
I use a quality 3-4 foot level. Start by leveling side to side using blocks. I use the frame across the tongue for this. Then measure a couple spots along the side frame to level front to back. Once all is level, I use the cheaper stick on levels made for campers and carefully place one on the front of the camper, and one on the front side of the camper. This makes future leveling much easier! Good luck!

PerryB
04-30-2015, 06:23 PM
I too have found discrepancies in level between various flat surfaces in all the trailers I've had. They have always been fairly subtle, so I have come to use a carpenters level on the biggest part of the kitchen counter and once its level I set my outside bubbles accordingly.

millwright01
04-30-2015, 06:58 PM
I agree. Fridge must be close to level. I use a 4 foot level to level trailer best I can.

I have a different way to do things before I install my stick ons however. In all my RV's I have done things different on each one. I get them as level as I can and spend a few days in them. Each one had different issues. Mostly it is the shower that doesn't drain out properly or water sits in the rails. I spend a few days changing things a little at a time until I get it all working properly. I think this is more important than where the bubble sits. Then I stick on the little levels at "level" even if its off a bit so my wife can set up and any "helpful" neighbors don't argue with her about being off level when she has to set up without me.

GaryWT
04-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Generally eye ball it side to side and when close I use a 2 foot level inside the door to set close. Then eyeball front to back and when I think I am there check level inside the door. Close is good, the fridge will work, no issues. Generally when I then open the slides, it brings it slightly out of level.

BirchyBoy
04-30-2015, 07:08 PM
I put a 6" level on the battery tray to get it level side to side. Then I put it in the front storage area and leave it slightly high on the tongue end. Done and dusted.

theeyres
04-30-2015, 07:33 PM
I also mess around with a bunch of different points in leveling until I get it to just sort of feel right. In our recent trailer I just used a level on the tongue - both across it and forward and aft and found it as close as any messing around inside. So I stuck my bubbles on on that basis. I mainly don't like doors swinging open or shut whether on the cabinets, bedroom, bathroom, etc. If they stay where they are opened to, I figure it's level.

buzzcop63
04-30-2015, 09:56 PM
I think it was a Trailer Life video, the man talking said the one thing you want level is the refrigerator, he said to use a round bubble level and put it on the floor of the freezer section and if the bubble stayed at least half in the bulls eye then you were OK. This gentleman owns an RV repair business and does a lot of RV help videos. What ever you wish to add to perfect the level at this point is up to the owner.

UsTwo
05-01-2015, 06:11 AM
I to used to worry my self to death about how level we were..On 3 of my campers. Had the little bubble levels attached plus used a 2 ft level across the tongue and rear bumper. plus in side to get it lever front to back.. then we camped next to, and watched a older couple back in and set up. Watched what he did.. he pulled a small level out and set inside his front door and that was it..When I talked to him later he told me that they used to worry all about being level also..but over the years the campers got better and he found a better way.. Now I use his way and am so much more at ease. I just back in open the door, set a 10" level on the floor for side to side.pull or back on to my blocks to level. unhook, look down the side at the window frames and eyeball to check level for front to back.. Then I check the level inside by the door. make sure it is as level as can get and done. Stabs down slides out.. the refer works just fine and if the water won't quite drain at the campground it will on the drive home.. no worries...:)

mikey98e
05-01-2015, 06:19 AM
I put a bubble level in the refrigerator and leveled the trailer until the bubble was centered. Then I fastened a plastic 4" level to the a frame near the jack. That gives me front to back level. I fastened a plastic 4" level to the body in the front. That gives me side to side level.
Now I can look at the front of the trailer and level it and I know the refrigerator is level.
-mike

CFDfireman90
05-01-2015, 06:56 AM
I am thinking of putting on a bubble level on front to be able to see as I back in to a site, trying to find something close to level. Then, as I already do now, I use a 2' level on the floor inside the front transverse compartment to level from to back once I have unhooked from the TV.

PerryB
05-01-2015, 05:09 PM
I am thinking of putting on a bubble level on front to be able to see as I back in to a site, trying to find something close to level. Then, as I already do now, I use a 2' level on the floor inside the front transverse compartment to level from to back once I have unhooked from the TV.

I've had a large front level on my last two trailers and its very useful. The closer to level (side to side) you can get before deploying the jacks/stabilizers the better. Doors don't bind etc. I carry a few strips of 1/2" ply to back the low tires onto so I gan get it pretty close. If its way off I start with 2x6's.

Desert185
05-01-2015, 08:42 PM
A level refrigerator is the most important. You can get small bubble levels that you can attach to the corners of the trailer to check side to side and front to back quickly.

I would suggest setting a circle level in the freezer, and then using a floor jack on the low side frame, jack it up at the axles until level. At that point attach the side to side level on the front or rear corner of the trailer.

Then using the tongue jack, get the bubble dead center again and then attach the front to rear level on the front or rear side edge.

When I bought my fiver I used a 6' level on the floor in the kitchen to get perfectly level, checked my refer and found it close enough and then attached my levels. Since I have a fifth wheel, I was able to attach the level to the pin box. Been good for three years now.

That's exactly what we did. Use a level to set the trailer level then attach the corner levels near the landing gear switch for checking each plane. No more running back and forth to the entryway to check the level on the floor.

On a popup camper, I used a single, round bubble level in the outside fridge compartment. Worked great.

michael_h
05-01-2015, 09:19 PM
I quit worrying about being perfect, heck most the levels people buy at the local HW store are only good for government work anyway . . . I make sure the tongue is slightly high, and using a water bottle I compare the water line to the jug indentations. Works fine for me and the AC water runs off the back drain out of the way

notanlines
05-02-2015, 03:57 AM
Keep in mind to worry about side to side being level first. End to end level second. I would have to differ with a couple of the posters above about having the trailer tilt to the rear. They were designed to sit level and I don't want my doors swinging open or closed. Just my two cents....

PerryB
05-02-2015, 10:58 AM
This thread has me wondering what would happen if I took a carpenters level to the various flat surfaces in my house. Probably don't wanna know..........

JRTJH
05-02-2015, 01:57 PM
This thread has me wondering what would happen if I took a carpenters level to the various flat surfaces in my house. Probably don't wanna know..........

Why even use a carptenter's level, just "turn loose a bag of kids marbles and you'll probably find them all in the corners, or in the center of the room. My bet is they won't be where you emptied the bag.

Desert185
05-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Two old school guys built my house in 1975 (I bought it in 1998). The old boy rancher I bought it from said the brothers built everything onsite, including the trusses and the cabinets. They did everything except for carpet and wallpaper...and we got rid of the wallpaper during the remodel :thumbsup: . During that remodel, we had a number of "contractors" remark how square and plumb the house is. Its old-ish, but its a good house. With the exception of two contractors who worked on the remodel, the rest were never up to the standards of the two brothers who built our house.

The older I get, the more I understand what my dad was was trying to emphasize to me. If he were still with us, I'd tell him, "I get it, Dad!"

PerryB
05-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Why even use a carptenter's level, just "turn loose a bag of kids marbles and you'll probably find them all in the corners, or in the center of the room. My bet is they won't be where you emptied the bag.

Sorry, that won't work. I lost my marbles a long time ago!

Sherwood
05-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Why even use a carptenter's level, just "turn loose a bag of kids marbles and you'll probably find them all in the corners, or in the center of the room. My bet is they won't be where you emptied the bag.Reading that made my feet hurt from thinking about stepping on them with my bare feet when I first wake up.:eek:

PerryB
05-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Reading that made my feet hurt from thinking about stepping on them with my bare feet when I first wake up.:eek:

Legos are what I remember stepping on when the boys were little.

srvnt
05-06-2015, 08:36 AM
For us , the most important thing to be level or even a little high, is at the head of the bed. The fridge does not need to be perfectly level, in fact I've run it off level many times (parked on the street for example). I installed my stick on levels after leveling the frame all around, but that doesn't mean the shower, floor, or tables are going to be level, but close enough. We used to use a can of unopened soda placed north/south then east/west for example, on the floor and counter space, to fine tune leveling which works better than anything.

{tpc}
05-06-2015, 08:44 AM
We put one stick on level in the back, and one on the side. We use those to level and that gets it close enough most times. As was said above, we like to have the head of the bed just a tad high. I would guess my side sticker isn't perfect lol.

I've tried the fancy electronic level you can place in the middle of the camper to help level. It works good, but for the most part when tested against my stick on's, it is pretty much spot on.

Pull Toy
05-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Quick, Cheap and Easy!.... Take a Rocks Glass from the cabinet. Fill it to about 1/2" shy of overflowing... set it on the counter (or anywhere else you are concerned about that you want to be level). With the naked eye, most of us can get pretty darn "close to level" by checking the rim to water distance ratio x 360 degrees.

When done... drink the water (or whatever other beverage of choice, add rocks), and enjoy your stay!

greengiant
05-21-2015, 07:54 PM
I too used to try various levels on various floors and frames. Then I added a side and front level at the front corner of the TT right behind the drivers side so it was easy to get to. Then I sold that TT and on the new one and it had a handy dandy circle bubble leveler built right into the top of the power tongue jack. Had three screws and a spring underneath so you could adjust it. All you had to do was go through the hastle of the 4' level, one time, get it good, and then adjust the screws. Then........a certain repair shop bent that power tongue jack somehow and put on a new one for me. I took the old bubble level and rigged it up, and it works just the same, just not nearly as pretty looking. I too, as others have said, keep the front end up a bit high whenever possible. Mainly so my head is higher than my toes when sleeping! It also helps the shower drain better.

mamawildbear
05-21-2015, 09:01 PM
We can put a level on several different places in and around the trailer (on tongue, on frame, on bumper, inside front storage compartment, inside trailer near door) and get so many different readings.

That was your first big mistake, too many levels. We have one stick on level at the back of the camper and we level side to side. One stick on level on the tongue, level front to back. With no other measurements to compare to, we just center the bubble and move on. Ignorance is bliss.

Ladyhawke
05-22-2015, 03:44 AM
The last time we took it out, we used a level in the refrigerator. This worked very well and gave us peace of mind for deploying the slide. We have discovered when we are off level that the bathroom door will not stay open so this is a good indicator also.

14george
05-22-2015, 03:50 AM
I use levels on the frount and side corner on drivers side

bsmith0404
05-22-2015, 06:28 AM
In my last camper (new one has a 6 point system) I set the camper where I wanted it, used a level to make sure it was close and then placed the bubble levels on the corners right next to the landing gear switch. The main thing I wanted was, as already mentioned, the head of the bed at least level to slightly above. I went with slightly above because that also made sure the pocket sliding door for the bedroom stayed closed.

RavensFan24
06-13-2015, 08:41 AM
I have an app on my phone for a level. It does your normal side level and the bubble level option. I like to get as close as possible, but won't spend more than 5 minutes on it. I just don't want to FEEL like we're not level. Before I finish setting up, I just check the frame by the hitch and then the middle of the RV inside the RV. If I'm walking and stumbling to the left obv something has to change, but overall if things seem fine, it's not a problem. Granted if I was staying somewhere more than a few days, I'd prob spend some more time on it, but otherwise I just choose the most level spot and get to enjoying the weekend.

audio1der
06-14-2015, 10:34 AM
From my reading, fridge aren't nearly as sensitive to being level as they used to be. I use a 6" magnetic torpedo level across, and fore/aft on the tongue frame and call it good. As long as our bathroom door isn't opening/closing itself if unlatched, I'm happy and everything always works.
Don't spend time messing about which you could spend camping.

Garyd1612
01-25-2019, 04:36 PM
As far as the fridge being level goes. Is it level when you are going down the road? It still works, right?

travelin texans
01-25-2019, 04:52 PM
The only time you should worry about the fridge being level is if it sits for an extended period out of level. Going down the road the constant motion keeps the ammonia mixture stirred up.

xrated
01-25-2019, 04:56 PM
I use the LevelMate Pro system. I've had it for 2 complete camping seasons and it makes levelling almost like cheating. I combine the LM Pro system with the Anderson levellers and as I'm backing into the site, I stop, put the levellers under both tires on the same side and continue backing up till my LM Pro phone app shows me I'm level side to side. After unhooking from the truck, I use the tongue jack to raise or lower the trailer until LM Pro tells me I'm level. Easy-peasy!

jsmith948
01-26-2019, 07:33 AM
Two things that are the most important:
1. Make sure the fridge is level (between the lines is good enough)
2. Make sure the stove is level enough to make the DW happy.
A happy wife is a happy life!

cavediver
04-16-2019, 04:50 AM
Trailer flex. Going down the road and from site to site. If two sites are perfectly level you would get different reading at both. Suspension binding, tires. Get it close and be Happy. I've installed presses that weigh hundreds of tons and they move.

roadglide
04-16-2019, 06:15 AM
I got Anderson leveling chocks and I'm impressed set of 4 with a nice case . When I'm in dought I go the the bobble level in the refrigerator.

xrated
04-16-2019, 08:36 AM
I got Anderson leveling chocks and I'm impressed set of 4 with a nice case . When I'm in dought I go the the bobble level in the refrigerator.

You will probably be OK with them, but not so great for heavier trailers. One of the members on the Grand Design forum who has a Momentum 397 (20,000 lbs GVWR) broke like 10 of the 11 that he had. He started out with 6 of them for his 6 leveling legs, and they started breaking. Anderson replaced them and they still kept breaking. Finally, after the 10 out of 11 broke, he gave up on them and started using the RV Snap Pads. I just bought a six pack of them and will be putting them on the levelers soon.

BamaRam
04-16-2019, 08:21 PM
When the bathroom door doesn’t open or close on its own, I’m level.

roadglide
04-17-2019, 03:38 AM
When the bathroom door doesn’t open or close on its own, I’m level.
Its out of level when the door swings by it's self it happen whe I'm on a quit layover. I see useing my new Anderson banana chocks will cure the self closing doors.

Robert Foust
04-17-2019, 03:55 AM
When all else fails, put a coke can sideways on the floor and see if it rolls in any direction.

Stumpy75
04-20-2019, 01:06 PM

I have those too. They are ok, and work well most of the time, but the ground has to be fairly hard. I've had them sink in a couple of times, where using a board or two would have spread out the load more.

MN-Clark
04-20-2019, 02:44 PM
So no one uses a bubble level app on their phone? Really? I'm the only one then, eh?

Frank G
04-20-2019, 04:46 PM
Am I the only one that opens the little door on the side and presses the "Level" button? In about 60 seconds it says something like "Finished" and we are ready to move in. Don't even carry a level. :popcorn:

ptooti
04-20-2019, 09:06 PM
So no one uses a bubble level app on their phone? Really? I'm the only one then, eh?

I use an app on my iPhone works great and there are several different apps to choose from

ptooti
04-20-2019, 09:09 PM
21490 here is one even level app there are some that have audible beeping to tell you when it’s level when you cannot see it but are in earshot