PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Oregon

buzzcop63
04-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Wife and I like to use the State and County parks, lots of space and hiking paths, beautiful grounds. We are also used to having at least electric and water connections and the ability to pick up TV off our antenna. Small towns or stores within 30 minutes of the location are also great. The following are a few places that are listed in Camping Oregon and we are wondering if any Forum participants have been to these sights and what your opinion of them is?

Fisherman's Bend Recreation Site, about 28 miles east of Salem Oregon
River Bend County Park, 9 miles east of Sweet home OR
Sunnyside County Park, 7 miles NE of Sweet Home OR
Waterloo County Park, 9 Miles NW of Sweet Home OR

Sarvi
04-26-2015, 12:08 PM
I am camping River Bend in July, haven't been there yet but looks cool. In June, I'm dropping the trailer off at Waterloo for my daughter and a couple of her friends to use for a couple days.

I've not camped either of those locations, but I live close enough to them to hear they are VERY popular.

Labor Day weekend we're going to stay in Florence at a state park in the dunes, Jessie M Honeyman Park.

So, I can't give you any experience at this point, but they all look like great places and have at least water and electric.

BlueThunder34
04-26-2015, 12:55 PM
We haven't camped at any of those, but we would highly recommend Fort Stevens near Astoria or La Pine State Park near Bend, OR.
Both of these are very nice with lots to do:)

Murphsmom
04-26-2015, 02:38 PM
We love River Bend. It is clean, clean, clean. The sites we have had were fairly private and we have never had noise problems while we were there. Our dogs loved going down to the river to swim. Good choice!

Jca3
05-14-2015, 04:49 PM
All the campgrounds close to Salem, Eugene and Corvallis are busy.
Fisherman's Bend is pretty but I think only the tent spots are close to the river. We got one that is shared with another trailer. They put two spots on a big pull through so it's not a pull through at all when a stranger is parked in front.
We probably won't go back as we like quieter campground.

buzzcop63
05-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the information! Yesterday the sun was out so we decided to look at the closest of the parks and drove to Fisherman's Bend. As we arrived we were very impressed with the beauty of the place, how clean the rest rooms were as well as the sights. We pulled into the first sight that was a pull through to get pictures and found that the picnic area had been raked and the sight had full huckup. Kept walking past our sight and found another sight using the same pull-through. Did not see any notice of this on web sight for the park. Two sights on the same pull through. You got to be kidding me! Talked to the host at the check in station and she gave us a ride around the park on her electric cart, she was very courteous and showed us the park. She explained that some of those who use the Tandem sights know each other so they can work together to make the double sight work. Many of the sights are very small and even a pop-up camper would have trouble. Also only a few sights are reservable and for us that is mandatory as we are going for a week or so and have no wish to be going from camp ground to camp ground to find an open space.

Jca3
05-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Yeah those pullthroughs that are really two spots are weird. OK if you have a big family, but when we reserved on the web we had no idea.