PDA

View Full Version : can you install a fan in bedroom vent ?

TheSkilz
04-23-2015, 08:57 AM
I have a 2015 outback 323 bh / wit 50 amp service and was told this is all wired for a 2nd a/c unit. I don't feel I will ever need this as I'm from ny . I was wondering if I can install a nice vent fan in place ? Thanks .

Javi
04-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Fantastic fan should drop right in

JohnD
04-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Had the Maxx-Air installed in the bedroom in my 337

chuckster57
04-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Fantastic fan or maxx air units will both fit right into the vent hole. Your 2nd A/C wiring will be 110VAC and both fans use 12VDC.

When I installed my maxx air, I tied into the nearest ceiling light. No biggie IMO to turn off the light at the light not the wall switch.

wahoonc
04-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Fantastic fan or maxx air units will both fit right into the vent hole. Your 2nd A/C wiring will be 110VAC and both fans use 12VDC.

When I installed my maxx air, I tied into the nearest ceiling light. No biggie IMO to turn off the light at the light not the wall switch.

This...

Just need to find a convenient 12 volt source. Every trailer is a bit different, but there are lots of places to find it though.

Aaron:cool:

TheSkilz
04-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Thank for the input I will purchase the fantastic fan and install .

chuckster57
04-23-2015, 05:48 PM
For what its worth, I prefer the Maxx air. It has more speeds than the fantastic fan, and with the design of the lid, a vent cover isn't needed to operate it in rainy weather. When I sold my previous fiver the maxx air was over 10 years old and the lid still looked new.

TheSkilz
04-24-2015, 12:59 AM
Ok maxx air it is ...thanks again

Sherwood
04-25-2015, 10:12 AM
X2 on the Maxxair. Just installed the 7000 and love it. I really like the fact you can leave it open during rain. No need to add a rain cover. A bit pricey but worth it. Installation was about 2 hours. Would have less if I had remembered to bring everything up with me. Several trips to get things I forgot.

golfpro
04-25-2015, 08:12 PM
if I may, be sure to turn the fan off when you flush. the fan will draw odors from the black tank and really mess with your day.

dm1401
04-25-2015, 10:27 PM
if I may, be sure to turn the fan off when you flush. the fan will draw odors from the black tank and really mess with your day.

If your pulling air out of the room, this won't be a issue, but if you are pulling air from outside then golfpro is absolutely correct.

chuckster57
04-26-2015, 04:38 AM
If the fan is in the bedroom, I don't see an issue. At least I haven't experienced any.

Timon
04-26-2015, 07:01 AM
I thought that most AC units required both AC and DC power.

Shouldn't there be a control cable you might be able to use for power?

Festus2
04-26-2015, 07:36 AM
I thought that most AC units required both AC and DC power.

Shouldn't there be a control cable you might be able to use for power?

The small vent fan that the OP is thinking of installing instead of an air conditioner would require 12VDC while an AC needs only 110VAC (except for thermostat control). There are enough 12VDC wires running throughout the ceiling that it should be fairly simple to tap into one of those lines for a fan.

arwenmark
04-27-2015, 09:45 AM

They want the fan for the bedroom not the bathroom.

I also vote for the Maxxaire

TheSkilz
04-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Thanks again I ordered the maxx fan...installing this weekend

RavensFan24
06-12-2015, 07:51 AM
So in the end, if you had to choose between the MaxxAir 4500K (http://maxxair.com/products/maxxfan/maxxfan_standard_remote.php) and the Fantastic Fan Model 7350 (http://www.fantasticvent.com/fan-tastic-vent-s-retail-12-volt-fans.html#model7350), which would you choose.

I'm about to upgrade and can't decide between these two. The MaxxAir is cheaper on Amazon, but I've hard more great things about the Fantastic Fan. It seems you really can't go wrong with either, but if I'm dropping $200 on a fan, I want the best.

Thoughts?

Also, I have two vents that I can't decide between utilizing for the vent. One is in the bedroom, which is pre-wired for a 2nd AC. the other is in the kitchen area right above stove. I'm leaning towards the stove area just because most of our time is spent in the living area and the stove/oven generates a lot of heat when used. I leaned back towards the bedroom because of the pre-wiring and the idea of having something cooling us off directly in the bedroom on a hot night. The downside to the BR is even though it has pre-wiring, it's not 12v DC wiring, so it doesn't do me much good. the downside to the Kitchen area is that the closest light is a couple feet away and I've never tried pulling stuff out of the ceiling to feed wire through.

Any advice is appreciated. Any tips for installing with a TPO roof is appreciated too. From wht I've seen it's no different, just use a sealant meant for a TPO roof.

GMcKenzie
06-12-2015, 10:41 AM
I have a fantastic fan in my kitchen. I have to turn it off when I am cooking, otherwise it does get greasy. It pulls more air than the fan over the stove.

When not cooking it work well. If I open the bedroom windows (far end of the trailer, and have the fan on, the bedroom cools off pretyy quick. And the fan noise doesn't bother me.

I don't have a vent opening in the bedroom, so didn't have that choice.

RavensFan24
06-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Here is a pic of the inside, so you can see where the vent opening is currently and where I want the fan to go. I talked to Camping World and they said that hooking into the lights may overload the circuit, so they'd potentially have to wire it up elsewhere, which would obv require more work. To me I'm trying to balance how much time I'll spend trying to figure it out vs how much I'd get charged for an install. Any tips on the best place to wire into would be appreciated.

https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/1907463_10206071174127827_7610725185755949402_n.jp g?oh=493bcecb3bad40e966dbcbdc96431f14&oe=55E69C56

GMcKenzie
06-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Have you looked at the replacement fan for over the stove?

There is a link somewhere on it.

Found it.

http://www.fabulousoperatingproducts.com/fabulous-range-hood-upgrade-kit.html

I've got no experience with this, but someone here pointed it out somewhere and it's stuck with me as a potentially good idea.

JRTJH
06-12-2015, 02:33 PM
I installed the SAM-1 range vent "upgrade kit" a couple of weeks ago. Our first camping trip is this weekend so I can't give you any "actual cooking experience" with it yet, but it is much MUCH less noise and significantly more air movement than the OEM fan/vent.

As stated in some of the literature, if you open a bedroom window and turn the range hood to high, it will draw air through the bedroom window. And, even on high, it is less noisy then the OEM vent.

I wouldn't think it's a replacement for a roof vent fan, but it is a significant improvement over the "little vibrator" that was installed at the factory.

RavensFan24
06-16-2015, 01:22 PM
I checked the RV today to see if it was already pre-wired in the vent port. While it wasn't pre-wired, I did find some wires that were reachable from the port. One went to the LED light and was red and white. The other one I couldn't see what is was connected to, but it was black and white and seemed like the wire may have been a touch thicker than the red and white wire.

Based on my extremely limited electrical knowledge, I'm assuming the red and white wire is for 12v and the black and white wire is prob the 120v for the AC unit which is right near there.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is accurate? I checked the manual and there was no real info. I know you can tie the fan into the wiring with the lights, so I'm pretty sure the red and white cable will work for my purposes, but wanted to get some confirmation if possible before I start splicing wires.

Also, a thought I just had was regarding the light switch. If I just tapped into a wire in the ceiling, won't my fan be at the mercy of the light switch being on or off? There isn't a switch anywhere near the vent port and the LED lights are puck lights, so no individual switches. I'm guessing the next best option would be to go into the fuse box, which is about 5 ft away from the vent on the ceiling and about 7ft down under a pantry.

JRTJH
06-16-2015, 03:02 PM
There are a number of different circuits that run through the ceiling. As a "GENERAL RULE" (not always gospel) the 120VAC is run as ROMEX, the 12VDC wiring is run as either coupled wires or single wiring runs. The 12 VDC wiring is generally not enclosed in a sheath so if you've found a red/white pair and a black/white pair, I'd suspect that both are 12VDC. If you've found 12 ga Romex, it's likely to be the air conditioner power supply, if you've found a 14 ga Romex, it's probably the wiring run for outlets somewhere in the trailer.

I hope this explanation "sort of" leads you in the right direction. If you're unsure, use a multimeter with a needle probe to check for voltage, but generally speaking, if it's a single wire, it's 12 VDC. And, yes, many people will tap power from the light source. If it's converted to LED, you'll probably have more than enough power available without overloading the wiring.

RavensFan24
06-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I hope the black and white wire I found is 12v and not switch based, but I fear the red and white one is switch based. It's a 2015 trailer and the lights were originally LED, but I'm hoping it still has enough juice to run it without causing issues, as I'm dreading having to fish wire over to the pantry, drill holes and get the wire to the fuse box.