PDA

View Full Version : Lets be safe

greengiant
04-21-2015, 05:18 AM
Last week, there was a massive pile up in Wyoming, during a blizzard, that you may have heard about. Yesterday, on the same I-80, another pile up in fog. I'm no expert, but the likely culprit?- unsafe speeds and following distances for conditions. It may be that most of us the forum practice conservative driving, especially in fog/snow, etc, but these videos might help us remember what happens when we can't see enough road ahead of us to stop our TV and whatever we are towing. Hope everyone has a safe summer!

This is video of it happening, I cringed and almost cryed watching this, and wondered why this person wouldn't run or drive up the road a mile and start yelling at trucks to slow down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlvxvG8zOE

This is video of the aftermath:
http://fox13now.com/2015/04/19/video-shows-devastation-from-massive-pileup-on-i-80-in-wyoming-that-injured-27-people/

C130
04-21-2015, 05:40 AM
Last week, there was a massive pile up in Wyoming, during a blizzard, that you may have heard about. Yesterday, on the same I-80, another pile up in fog. I'm no expert, but the likely culprit?- unsafe speeds and following distances for conditions. It may be that most of us the forum practice conservative driving, especially in fog/snow, etc, but these videos might help us remember what happens when we can't see enough road ahead of us to stop our TV and whatever we are towing. Hope everyone has a safe summer!

This is video of it happening, I cringed and almost cryed watching this, and wondered why this person wouldn't run or drive up the road a mile and start yelling at trucks to slow down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlvxvG8zOE

This is video of the aftermath:
http://fox13now.com/2015/04/19/video-shows-devastation-from-massive-pileup-on-i-80-in-wyoming-that-injured-27-people/

Wow, that is crazy, also sad.

sourdough
04-21-2015, 08:16 AM
I hate to sound harsh but this is my take; these videos capture stupid, careless drivers, their driving and the horrible consequences that arise from same.

For years I have been observing that the caliber of semi drivers is continually deteriorating and these videos certainly support that (the warden at the local prison said that truck driving was the number one vocation for prisoners released from the prison. Good? Bad?). I am not trying to anger any semi drivers on the forum but just making an observation that I've made driving 100k a year for many years. You can get caught in a storm but good heavens, these big rig drivers were driving highway speeds on snow/ice packed roadways congested with people and had low visibility. A few of the big rig drivers showed sense and were able to stop and nearly all the auto drivers did. Every semi driver that went thru this carnage "full speed ahead" should have their CDLs pulled for life and face criminal charges. Can you imagine one of those little cars safely stopped behind one of the wrecked semis only to be hit by one of those trucks at 60mph and sandwiched? It's unimaginable. I've seen one car hit by a semi at full speed. It had already happened but the car was hit broadside and in two pieces with the top gone. The pieces of the car were covered in sheets/blankets because all of the occupants were killed. Semi drivers carry a huge responsibility; they must be aware of it and act accordingly - it definitely appears many of these did not.

We, as RV owner/operators, need to take to heart what these videos tell us. Drive slow in bad weather, keep PLENTY of space between you and the one in front of you, watch your mirrors, beware of the semis plowing thru at dangerous speeds and if I'm stuck in a situation like that I'm getting off the road, out of the vehicle and upwind of all the action. In this day and age it is a blessing to be able so see something like this on a video and learn from it without having to personally experience it.

I wish everyone safe travels as we come into spring, and......always watch out for the "other" guy.

rhagfo
04-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Greengiant, the person shooting was too engrossed in getting a good crash video!

One should always carry flares for just such a situation.