PDA

View Full Version : Wobble Table (Pedestal Base Style)

therink
04-16-2015, 05:28 PM
So I have searched this forum and the internet and can not seem to find a economical solution to my wobbly dining table. The table has two surface mount bases and legs like these: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/rv-pedestal-table.htm

I have tried every thing. The bases are tight into the floor. I have trier reshaping the tapered ends of the legs to help ensure a tighter fit into the top and bottom bases. No AVAIL. I can not mount the end of the table to the wall as the window extends well below the table top.

Are there higher quality bases/legs than what comes from the factory?

I found these: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Sequoia-Table-Leg-System/74002/&?&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CjwKEAjwu72pBRC9hsn2-e34vRUSJACnSYsTpaZZp3tDW27HkAdTkiI609UliLPTM6pArcH Q3z4ujxoCexDw_wcB

Are they any good. Any insight into replacing the junk pedestals I have is appreciated.

Brantlaker
04-16-2015, 06:58 PM
When I had a TT and the table was wobbly I replace them with Marine table legs they are Straight not tapered. Plus they had a clip to hold and release them.

theeyres
04-16-2015, 07:52 PM
There is another easy solution if you don't often have to put the table down into the sleeping position. Just drill a small hole through the base and leg and then turn a sheet metal screw into the hole. That will hold it rock solid. I did that on a former table that gave me fits and it worked like a charm.

koko
04-18-2015, 07:50 AM
We just ordered the Springfield three-stage table pedestal. It will be here in a couple of days, and we'll let you know what we think. Another forum member replaced the two posts with this. He said it's very solid, increases leg room vastly and can easily be lowered to bed height. We'll see! Our concern was not wobble - it was the leg room.

therink
04-18-2015, 04:28 PM
We just ordered the Springfield three-stage table pedestal. It will be here in a couple of days, and we'll let you know what we think. Another forum member replaced the two posts with this. He said it's very solid, increases leg room vastly and can easily be lowered to bed height. We'll see! Our concern was not wobble - it was the leg room.

Please let me know how it works out. Thanks
Steve

chuckster57
04-18-2015, 04:55 PM
The three stage pedestal is used in some high end class A's and it's solid.

therink
04-18-2015, 05:24 PM
I checked it out. Looks very nice and sure it will work, but OMG $$$.
I think I will have to resort to another measure for my wobbliness.

koko
04-19-2015, 07:22 AM
Quite pricey, so we'll make sure it's going to be PERFECT before we actually install it. If it works, it will be worth every penny. We spend a lot of time in our trailer and like to gather family around our table.

HammerToe
04-20-2015, 02:00 AM
There is another easy solution if you don't often have to put the table down into the sleeping position. Just drill a small hole through the base and leg and then turn a sheet metal screw into the hole. That will hold it rock solid. I did that on a former table that gave me fits and it worked like a charm.
Just wanted to say that I ‘second’ this suggestion. Never thought of ‘it’ myself; wound up replacing the 2-steel post table setup with a very nice ‘Genuine’ OAK Wood RV Extensible table that I found on Kijiji for $75.00. MUCH BETTER and NICER/NICER LOOKING and with a BIGGER TABLE SURFACE AREA as well.

Couple of thoughts:

1. Instead in ‘screws’, you MIGHT consider TAPPING the ‘pole recipient fixtures’ to ‘take’ either a threaded thumb screw or even small hex head bolts, and maybe using 2 of them at 90 degrees to each other. The former could be tightened/loosened by hand. Two at right angles should provide a lot of stability and in either case, might be easier to remove/reinstall if necessary.

2. In the end, you might still notice a bit of ‘flex’ in the table as the FLOOR that it is bolted to may be both (e.g.) on/through a carpet AND the underlying wood floor material is only maybe 5/8” thick and THAT will ‘give’ a bit if one pushes on a side or end of the table. STILL it should be much better than it is right now.

Again, suggest you try the ‘screw trick’. VERY CHEAP and easy to TRY and if it doesn’t work out, no big deal.

srvnt
04-20-2015, 07:49 AM
I want to try a third leg like this one.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1865532247598454802?q=adjustable+folding+table+leg&biw=1920&bih=920&dpr=1&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX4yZzynY70ostAl5u52lZCUlkF6T_-MsF-ho3a-aHBRr9fCBOo9LbSqjhi3Us9Gwn2ueDsOSn7WSLSpLnfTGZYy-Vj4Iv76dodL-hEi1JrYx435z6RIZAFPVH71W9v31q8yZSLhxsgajvpDna-X8CA&ei=TB81VeiVC4GeNtrtgbAC&ved=0CJQDEKYrMBA

koko
04-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Received our Springfield Pedestal yesterday and installed it today. It may be pricey; but when you see it, you know why! It makes such a tremendous difference in leg room; and there's no way there could be any wobble. It raises and lowers so smoothly. Cost $318 with tax - free shipping - from Walmart. Personally, it's a small price to pay to solve a huge problem.

Bar-OneRanch
04-26-2015, 06:55 AM
Check out Factory RV Surplus, they have the snap 2 folding table base. You mount your top on it and it folds down to sleeping height. An added bonus is you can take the table outside if you wanted to. They show it for $69.00 with $50.00 shipping on it if that price is better.
Chris

therink
04-27-2015, 07:11 AM
Check out Factory RV Surplus, they have the snap 2 folding table base. You mount your top on it and it folds down to sleeping height. An added bonus is you can take the table outside if you wanted to. They show it for $69.00 with $50.00 shipping on it if that price is better.
Chris

Did you buy one? I have seen it but afraid the leg mechanism will take up a lot of leg room.

vampress_me
04-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Did you buy one? I have seen it but afraid the leg mechanism will take up a lot of leg room.

This is what our Cougar X-lite came with for the table base. It does take up a lot of leg room. It hurts like the dickens when you hit a piece of it with your knee or shin (sharp corners/edges), and really doesn't fold and unfold very easily.

This is just my opinion of it, but I'm looking at getting rid of it for a pedestal table base because we can't stand the folding base. I would love the Springfield base, but am still choking over the price...:)

Bar-OneRanch
04-28-2015, 05:24 PM
No I don't have one, I was thinking about getting it when I replaced the cracked floor plates on my Cedar Creek dinette and the replacements were too loose and the table wobbled. Our new trailer has a regular table, I think our friends have it on their new Hornet, we are camping in two weeks and I can check it out and let you know?
Chris

therink
04-28-2015, 05:57 PM
No I don't have one, I was thinking about getting it when I replaced the cracked floor plates on my Cedar Creek dinette and the replacements were too loose and the table wobbled. Our new trailer has a regular table, I think our friends have it on their new Hornet, we are camping in two weeks and I can check it out and let you know?
Chris

Cool, thanks
Steve

{tpc}
04-29-2015, 06:40 AM
Springfield pedestal looks nice...I wonder if a slide could be attached to allow the table to slide out a bit to accommodate those against the back wall? I like thought of the pedestal in the middle helping to support of you want to make it into a bed, as opposed to just the tabletop and the small rails on each of the seats. I've already beefed up my rails because the shape of the table can allow it to "slip" past the rails ever so slightly and the table falls through..

koko
04-29-2015, 08:37 AM
We've been on a trip for a week now using the new Springfield Pedestal we installed. We are not disappointed. The difference is amazing!

pjinthedaks
04-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Springfield pedestal looks nice...I wonder if a slide could be attached to allow the table to slide out a bit to accommodate those against the back wall? I like thought of the pedestal in the middle helping to support of you want to make it into a bed, as opposed to just the tabletop and the small rails on each of the seats. I've already beefed up my rails because the shape of the table can allow it to "slip" past the rails ever so slightly and the table falls through..

This pedestal is a wonderful upgrade. I'm not sure if slide hardware is out there somewhere but, it would make sense. The table does turn easily that gives us easy access to the storage without doing the door/drawer mod. It also let's people get to the rear seat easier. As far as the bed is concerned - rock solid. We highly recommend this mod!

Larry1013
05-01-2015, 04:30 PM
I had similar setup on the 2005 Outback table. Screws had pulled out of one leg and the other base was worn. I found one folding table leg (like below) to replace one of the pedestal legs. I have no plans to ever use the table as a bed so it doesn't matter if the folding leg doesn't fold completely flat. This photo shows another way to solve the problem also

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_170040_0_b6d6245228e6d79c3280899c9d7d816d.jpg (http://s564.photobucket.com/user/larry1013/media/table-01.jpg.html)

I attached the leg to the table, tighten all the screws on the other pedestal mounts (floor and table) and then used some electrical pipe mounting clamps to hold the folding leg firmly on the floor. I found the "bolt"/"screw" (forget what it is called) that has threads on one end and wood screw on other to screw into the floor and wing nuts to clamp the table into place.

Works great. Still have plenty of leg access and room.

Bar-OneRanch
05-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Checked out the drop down table base in our friends Hideout, seems good in theory, not so much in reality. Their dinette is U shaped, the legs weren't a problem on the short side but were in the way on the long side. Table also had a bit of a wobble due to the joints in the folding mechanism, since theirs is new I imagine the joints may loosen more with some use.
Chris