PDA

View Full Version : packing wheel bearing

jaymxr
04-15-2015, 10:16 AM
I need some advise Ive owned my montana since 07 when I purchased the coach from my local dealer i was told I never had to repack the bearing cause this coach was equipped with an easy lube axles with the zert fitting. My question is should i pull part the spindle and replace the seals and repack the bearing by hand. I have been adding a few squares of high temp grease once a year as needed. I only have mabey 3k on the coach. My local dealer said if I wanted to switch to synthetic high temp i need pull a part the spindles to repack with synthetic. Should i just stick to the generic high temp and use the easy lube fitting. What are all of your guys using for high temp grease. Any thoughts and ideas would me much appreciated thank you.

notanlines
04-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Jay, I am betting that the old timers on this sight will tell you to leave that d&%$#@ grease zirk alone. It can only cause trouble. Buy new seals, new shoes, check your magnets while you're in there and clean and repack your bearings by hand. We can argue all day about the grease to use, but avoid the zerks.

BOWWOW
04-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Jay, I am betting that the old timers on this sight will tell you to leave that d&%$#@ grease zirk alone. It can only cause trouble. Buy new seals, new shoes, check your magnets while you're in there and clean and repack your bearings by hand. We can argue all day about the grease to use, but avoid the zerks.

X2, I agree. When one of my seals started leaking I replaced all of them repacked with "high temp bearing grease of some sort". I bought all new brake assemblies and had the drums turned and re-assembled it all for about $350.00 on 2 axles. When I started to take mine apart I found all kinds of brake parts broken or missing.

WaltBennett
04-16-2015, 03:49 AM
Check on the Montana Owner's Club forum. Many owners (like me) use the EZ-Lube hubs & zerks as advertized and have had no problems. With your unit being that old, I'd be surprised if you didn't have wear problems with brakes, magnets, as well as seals though. Thoroughly checking all that would require removing the brake drums and you'd need to replace the seals anyway.

As far as yearly hub lubrication goes, it's fairly easy. Jack the tire off the ground, remove the rubber cap, SLOWLY spin the wheel while pumping grease into the zerk. You have to keep pumping until all the old grease has come out in the area around the zerk (need a lot of paper towels) and you start seeing new grease. I easily go through two tubes doing this.