PDA

View Full Version : Dead batteries

Red11
04-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Hello all. I own a 2012 300MP Raptor and when I tried to open the slides for the first time after the long winter I find that both of the batteries are down to 3.5volts. I do keep the unit plugged in to house current(120v) when parked.I charged the batteries and did not have a problem opening the slides or running the generator.My question is shouldn't one or both batteries stay charged when the unit is plugged in? thanks

Ken / Claudia
04-14-2015, 12:30 PM
I think all convertors now days have a buildt in charger. Check and make sure yours does. Do you have a battery cut off switch. That needs to be on to charge. I could understand some batteries going bad if new in 2012, maybe they are just no longer good. Just today I am spending over 300 for new truck batteries that are about 60 months old. The old ones say were good for 84 months but, not so.

Desert185
04-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Ref truck batteries, Die Hards used to be the hot ticket, then Optimas. Now Odysseys are the battery to get. I'm told Die Hard Platinum are actually Odyssey batteries. I have some Optima red tops from 2001 that are still going strong, but the newer ones have lesser quality.

GaryWT
04-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Check the water levels of the batteries as they will not charge well if the water is low.

randy69
04-14-2015, 05:53 PM
My 2010 raptor has the orginal two 6 volt batteries always plunged in at the house. I live in southern califorina. So winters never go below 32 but summer is hot as hell. Always once a month checking battery water. I do realize batteries have a life exspectency. One of these days one will go bad then I will buy 2 more and start over.

Red11
04-17-2015, 04:54 AM
thanks for all the advice. owners manual states that as long as the unit is plugged in it should be charging the batteries. I rechecked the batteries last night and they are down to 10volts. they are maintenance free so they are sealed. it looks like a set of batteries is in my future.