PDA

View Full Version : (Slide)Dinette Storage Question

{tpc}
04-14-2015, 10:10 AM
For those of you that store stuff in the dinette area, if it also happens to be that the dinette is part of the slide, have you noticed any issues with the slide at all?

The reason I am asking is that currently I don't store anything in the slide area. Part of that is because I really don't need to, the pass through area is quite enough actually. The other reason is because I recall reading (in the manual I think) that you should NOT use the dinette area while the slide was in.

So that's the basis for my question. If your not supposed to use it, which would mean sitting and/or whatever pressure you feet might apply to the floor area at that point, isn't the storage under the seats also in play for this?

I think we may have only sat in the dinette once with the slide in, just to see how it was. Frankly I can't see using it in that manner anyways. But I could see the storage to be a benefit, especially if I need to try to load the trailer differently in the future.

GaryWT
04-14-2015, 10:37 AM
We have drawers under our dinette benches and the weight of what you can put in the drawer compared to the weight of a person are two different things. We store pool towels in one side and games in the other, not too much weight.

Also agree as above, not to use the slide when it is closed as it is designed to use when open.

{tpc}
04-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Many apologies. I fixed my post. I meant to say should NOT use while the slide is in lol. DOH!

At any rate, that is what I was trying to figure out. How much or how heavy of items one could store in the dinette storage. I mean I could put quite a few things in there...folding chairs, a grill, towels, blankets, etc. (lol maybe not a grill) Individually these items don't weight much, but could add up.

So just wondering what one does or could put in there safely without damaging anything.

Bowhunter
04-15-2015, 05:24 AM
I agree with Gary. We have the drawers under ours as well. We have always used ours for beach towels and games. Not that much extra in weight, but has easy access when needed.

murphysranch
04-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Little weight for the storage in the slide. Paper towels, TP, beach towels, a couple extra blankets, and its also where our recycling goes to take home with us.

koko
04-16-2015, 08:15 AM
We put clothes in our drawers in the slide area. We keep it light - nothing like water bottles, iron skillets/Dutch ovens or anything like that.

Tboudro
04-20-2015, 06:23 AM
Use mine for light stuff also, also just ordered an outside door that I will install under center dinette area so that I can access from outside. Perfect spot for waterhose, filters, sewer connections, TV cable, gloves and chocks. As long as I keep it light I should not have a problem ans it will be so much easier to access that the pass thru on the front.(tx)

Shadowcats
04-29-2015, 07:28 PM
We store all kinds of stuff on the slide side...not excessive, but we never give it a thought. They are made to support the weight of people 4-8 and that hardly ever happens. We've never had a problem with either slides. The kitchen slide has the stove, microwave, fridge, plus storage. I wouldn't worry about it unless you storing your weight set. Enjoy!

jkohler70
04-30-2015, 06:17 AM
I used mine without a worry. I actually do store my dutch oven, skillet, and griddle in mine. Total weight is about 30 pounds. Slide operates fine without dragging or other issues. I asked specifically about storage under the seats during my PDI. The tech told me as long as I don't store bricks in there, he's never seen one damaged from using it for storage.

theeyres
04-30-2015, 07:39 PM
If Keystone said it was OK to use the dinette when the slide was in, potentially at least four people could sit at it and at 150-200# each (or more!) that could be 600-800#. No way is anything you are going to put in the storage will equal that. So no worries. Use it as you like.

B-O-B'03
05-05-2015, 03:34 PM
We just got back from an 1800 mile, inaugural, trip in our new 22RBPR and I packed 5 of the 2.5 gallon water jugs on the floor of the center section of the dinette.

There did not seem to be any ill effects from it, the floor seems to be quite solid.

Although, if the way Keystone builds their shelves is any indication, I might have to rethink this :eek:

The shelf, in the outdoor kitchen, for the refrigerator started coming apart, before we got to our first destination as did the shelf in the bath, next to the vanity.

The front edges of the shelves are not structural, they are just nailed to the shelving boards and any weight bouncing on the shelf caused them to flex and pull the staples out of the edge piece. The shelf itself is only supported on 3 sides... not very strong at all.

I put them back together with steel L brackets tying the side supports and front trim piece together... hopefully that will help.

-Brian